Fulmer Haters Speak!

MikeTheVol

I remember all the whining and complaining when Fulmer had a dip in team quality, wins, and struggle with hiring a couple of misfit coordinators. But, I have a question, or questions for you. Do you really think that if Fulmer had not been fired that we would lose 14 straight to arguably our biggest rival? Do you think he would have lost to Kentucky two or three times during the last 12 seasons. Do you think he would have lost to Vanderbilt 4 or 5 times during that stint. Do you think we would have beaten Florida more than ONCE in the last 12 years? Yes, he hit a rough spot by his own misgivings but IMO he loves UT enough and has so much pride in the UT program, that he would have done everything possible to right the ship. This fiasco of the ridiculous coaching carousel would not be happening.

I know this is all conjecture now and this is purely a frustration post. Yeah, I'm saying I told you Fulmer haters so. Your thoughts?

Fulmer was getting beat on the recruiting trail in his waning years. Don't know what changed but the horses were going elsewhere. He was suffering pretty lopsided losses too. I guess we forgot.. It was time for a change but we hired the wrong guy, then made a panic hire, then Botch, and now Forrest Gump. It's not too hard to figure out.

Fulmer was getting beat on the recruiting trail in his waning years. Don't know what changed but the horses were going elsewhere. He was suffering pretty lopsided losses too. I guess we forgot.. It was time for a change but we hired the wrong guy, then made a panic hire, then Botch, and now Forrest Gump. It's not too hard to figure out.
WOW!

Seriously?Go back to bed and wake up on the other side.

Like most coaches who experience huge sucess, Fulmer got a little complacent, just when the heat was turned up. He would have turned it around then too. What makes Alabbubba's run so unprecidented is that Nick never took his foot of the gas. Most humans like to take time to enjoy their success and don't climb as hard when they are at the top of the mountain.

School changed a lot of the benefits athletes were getting. I know we weren't able to offer the same as Florida and the rest of our of our competitors. It coincided with our dip in recruiting.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Like most coaches who experience huge sucess, Fulmer got a little complacent, just when the heat was turned up. He would have turned it around then too. What makes Alabbubba's run so unprecidented is that Nick never took his foot of the gas. Most humans like to take time to enjoy their success and don't climb as hard when they are at the top of the mountain.
That's true. What is also true is during Nick's time there recruiting has hardly dipped at all. Top 1 or 2 classes pretty much every year. He has a talent advantage not many coaches have the luxury of. He's a great coach, he apparently is great at convincing 5 start talent to come ride pine like no other in history of college football. Excuse me if i don't think i smell something coming from that program and it's not greatness. They have a long history of selling their souls for wins. Saban has said many times he hates to lose. The marriage between him and Bama was a match made in heaven for them and hell for everyone else.

I remember all the whining and complaining when Fulmer had a dip in team quality, wins, and struggle with hiring a couple of misfit coordinators. But, I have a question, or questions for you. Do you really think that if Fulmer had not been fired that we would lose 14 straight to arguably our biggest rival? Do you think he would have lost to Kentucky two or three times during the last 12 seasons. Do you think he would have lost to Vanderbilt 4 or 5 times during that stint. Do you think we would have beaten Florida more than ONCE in the last 12 years? Yes, he hit a rough spot by his own misgivings but IMO he loves UT enough and has so much pride in the UT program, that he would have done everything possible to right the ship. This fiasco of the ridiculous coaching carousel would not be happening.

I know this is all conjecture now and this is purely a frustration post. Yeah, I'm saying I told you Fulmer haters so. Your thoughts?

Fulmer raised the bar with the amazing record & accomplishments from the mid-nineties to the early 2000s. Unfortunately, poor recruiting in his last few seasons and inability to adapt to the game were his downfalls. I doubt he would be beating or competing for the SEC with the elite coaches the league has now. If you want to point the blame, look no further than Mike Hamilton after he decided to part ways with Phil. In 2008 after Fulmer was canned, UT had reached ATL 3 times from 2001-2008. The program was much more attractive to better coaches. Hamilton’s horrible hires put UT in bad shape. With that being said, I do not like what I am seeing on the field right now. We are stuck with this suck which makes it even worse. The guy you are pining for (CFP) hired the coach that is in charge of this pile of crap. I am typically optimistic but the Vols are making that tough. Hopefully UT starts to turn things around beating the hogs after the bye week.

That's true. What is also true is during Nick's time there recruiting has hardly dipped at all. Top 1 or 2 classes pretty much every year. He has a talent advantage not many coaches have the luxury of. He's a great coach, he apparently is great at convincing 5 start talent to come ride pine like no other in history of college football. Excuse me if i don't think i smell something coming from that program and it's not greatness. They have a long history of selling their souls for wins. Saban has said many times he hates to lose. The marriage between him and Bama was a match made in heaven for them and hell for everyone else.
I agree, as Nick gets old the narative other coaches will use in recuiting will be "Nick is going to retire before you leave Alabubba."

Not a Fulmer hater but the biggest issue wasn't firing Fulmer. It was replacing him with 4 bargain bin hires (5 if you include Schiano). Fulmer had got complacent and had too much loyalty to his staff that wasn't producing.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, we would have beat Bama at least once in the past 14 years. The record wouldn't be pretty but I think much like Auburn we would have stole 1 or 2.

2. He'd have 4-5 wins against Florida. Much like with Zook, he would have taken advantage of the 2010 - 2017 timeframe

3. He would have lost once to UK but not 3x.

4. Franklin would have got him once or twice at Vandy.

There was a change in admissions for sure. In the 2000s it got more difficult to take on borderline academic cases.
Right but I'm not sure I call that a direct student -athlete benefit. We were still pulling in high ranked classes even with it

That whole sec required extra math class thing didn't seem to hurt everyone else

Once control of UTAD was transferred from the system President to the Knoxville campus Chancellor, the football program became a political football in the perpetual tug-of-war between faculty and administration. It hurt the program but it never would've happened if Fulmer hadn't started coasting after '98. The combination of those events along with bad hires put us where we are today.

Once control of UTAD was transferred from the system President to the Knoxville campus Chancellor, the football program became a political football in the perpetual tug-of-war between faculty and administration. It hurt the program but it never would've happened if Fulmer hadn't started coasting after '98. The combination of those events along with bad hires put us where we are today.
Underrated post IMO.

VN Store

Back