Fulmer focuses on the running game

U-T

Fulmer focuses on rushing game

By CHRIS LOW
Staff Writer

KNOXVILLE — A micro-manager in the purest sense of the word, Tennessee Coach Phillip Fulmer is already about as hands-on as it gets.

But when it comes to the Vols' running game, which has declined each year in production since the 1998 national championship season, there's no mistaking who's running the show.

Looking for a running game coordinator? Look no further than Fulmer himself, at least unofficially.

''We're going to be a better running football team than we have the last couple of years,'' Fulmer said. ''We weren't the worst around, but we haven't been nearly as consistent as we need to be.''

The quarterback derby will grab most of the headlines this spring. But even more important for Fulmer will be seeing to it that the Vols re-commit themselves to running the football and developing the edge it takes to be a dominant running team.

''I'd like to think I'm involved all the time, but there's going to be more emphasis just because we don't have any choice,'' Fulmer said. ''Our quarterback is not going to be able to jump into the two-minute offense.

''I'm very determined. I hired Trooper (Taylor) for a reason, and that's paying off some dividends for us.''

Taylor is the Vols' new running backs coach, and Fulmer has made it clear that he expects that position to be more dynamic this season.

Cedric Houston, Jabari Davis and Gerald Riggs Jr. are all competing for the No. 1 tailback spot.

''We had guys being tackled by both legs last year way too many times,'' Fulmer said. ''You look at our people in past years, and that didn't happen.

''We also didn't block very well at times, and sometimes they made the line look better. If we can make people play honest, which I hope we can with our receivers, then I think we'll be able to run the ball.

''It all goes together. You have to have the people. Then you've certainly got to have the mentality that even if you're running uphill sometimes that you're still going to be able to run the football.''

The Vols finished ninth in the SEC in rushing offense last season and 70th nationally. They averaged 138.4 yards per game on the ground, their lowest output since 1996. Of course in 1996, the Peyton Manning-led Vols also passed for 3,396 yards.

''Whether we run it for 100 yards or 200 yards, we have to make the defense really line up to try and stop the run,'' offensive coordinator Randy Sanders said. ''That's probably the area where we have failed the most the last two years, making the defense dedicate themselves to really stop the run.''

Given the inexperience at quarterback, there have already been comparisons to 2000 and 1994. Casey Clausen eventually took over as a freshman in 2000 and Manning in 1994.

Fulmer says a better comparison would be 1989 when Sterling Henton started the season at quarterback and Andy Kelly finished it.

The Vols ran the ball at will that season behind the tailback tandem of Chuck Webb and Reggie Cobb. They finished with 2,701 rushing yards, the most at Tennessee since 1951.

Fulmer is the first to admit this team doesn't have a Chuck Webb in the backfield, but he said plugging in Albert Toeaina at right tackle and Arron Sears at left guard will make a big difference.

''I'll tell you this,'' Fulmer said. ''The quarterback ain't going to be figuring it out too much because we're going to make it as simple as we can for him. That's the main thing.

''Whether it's the ones we've got or whether it's the freshmen who are coming, it's going to have to be simple.''

http://tennessean.com/sports/ut/archives/0...ent_ID=48635431

B)

What Fulmer OUGHTTA be focusing on is a new Offensive Coordinator!

:machinegun: Dandy Randy

Tennessee had better be able to run the ball next year or it could be a long season.

VN Store

Back