Fulmer: Do the Right Thing!

OP, do you know what Fulmer does with his money? How much goes into endowments for the university? How much goes back into the Athletic Dept? How much goes to charity? An individual can multiply money in ways a state-run university cannot.

Point being: I don't know what Fulmer does with his earned money, and neither do you. And telling people what to do with their money used to be just crass--but it may be about to become political in a way you may not want to be associated with.

Now if you had privately written a letter to Fulmer, and asked him to consider working for a dollar a year for the sake of the program... I would respect that because it shows respect for the individual earning the money.

But posting here is like a kid throwing a tantrum at the family Christmas gathering, just to embarrass his parents for not buying him what he wanted.

My VFL brother, sincerely... find something you can be grateful for on this Christmas Day, and focus on that. Be a blessing to someone today, and to yourself. You are not defined by what happens in Neyland Stadium.
LOL--and that's something we can ALL be grateful for today!
1608903896574.gif

Regardless of the specific numbers, the guy is a multimillionaire many times over. That's the point and he continues to pull money from the program despite our program being in turmoil.
He's just making up for the millions he lost, after getting fired as HFC. karma is a bitch.

I'll not look into my neighbor's wallet, note how much he has, and tell him how he should spend what is in there. If you allow these little minded collectivists to do it for a million dollars it's not long before they are allocating a twenty dollar bill in your wallet. Stop with the jealousy of how much somebody makes. If they are making an honest living, they are being paid and accepting for their labor what the market requires. If you're the night manager of the Dairy Queen in Unicoi County and are jealous about what Fulmer makes, then better yourself to what he makes rather than crying about it. Believe it or not somebody thinks the night manager at the DQ in Unicoi County makes is too much as well. You know this is the same low brow thinking where a person goes public with, "why are we paying the UT HC over a million dollars?" discussion. They always have a cousin Squirrel who won the PeeWee football county championship 5 years in a row down in Roswell, GA who would do it for $50K.

Be ashamed, all who sent out ill wishes on Christmas Eve.

Just be ashamed.

And then have a wonderful Christmas day. Hopefully without spitting venom at others.

Go Vols!

Stop taking a salary! You are a multimillionaire many times over. If you truly care about UT, why would you continue to suck money from the program?! Good lord! How much money does one person need? In addition, Pruitt, you should take half salary next year if you are still here. What a massive impact that would have with the UT Volunteers football program! The players and recruits would see that there are truly more important things than money and would go a long way in improving team chemistry and effort level. Show all of us you are all in!! Maybe a petition is in order? Status quo is no longer OK. Do the right thing!

I like what you say....But, Pie in the sky!!!!!

So you're telling a grown man to work for free because he has already made some money. Man stop it please

It's not unheard of... We have had Presidents not take pay (in including the present I believe). Several sports stars have taken downward adjustment in contracts, also some CEO's of business also have done this. So asking for such a thing is not unprecedented.

First of all, GAVol, thank you for your moderating service to our Big (bruised) Orange community! I'm sure we have no idea what all you have done to our collective benefit.

I appreciate (and am humbled by) the applause gif, but am curious about the irony of the particular persons applauding in the front row. Without getting into politics, and realizing I could be misinformed, those are the folks I least associate with supporting a free market value system and personal liberties.

I know from your posts that you are a thought full person, so just curious...

I'll not look into my neighbor's wallet, note how much he has, and tell him how he should spend what is in there. If you allow these little minded collectivists to do it for a million dollars it's not long before they are allocating a twenty dollar bill in your wallet. Stop with the jealousy of how much somebody makes. If they are making an honest living, they are being paid and accepting for their labor what the market requires. If you're the night manager of the Dairy Queen in Unicoi County and are jealous about what Fulmer makes, then better yourself to what he makes rather than crying about it. Believe it or not somebody thinks the night manager at the DQ in Unicoi County makes is too much as well. You know this is the same low brow thinking where a person goes public with, "why are we paying the UT HC over a million dollars?" discussion. They always have a cousin Squirrel who won the PeeWee football county championship 5 years in a row down in Roswell, GA who would do it for $50K.
Dairy Queen is a private company and as such does not take tax money. What they do is their business.
The University of Tennessee is a public entity and does receive tax money. What they do is a public matter and are accountable to the taxpayers.

Dairy Queen is a private company and as such does not take tax money. What they do is their business.
The University of Tennessee is a public entity and does receive tax money. What they do is a public matter and are accountable to the taxpayers.

Because it is an entity that accepts donations, the University determines the worth of listening to its donors based on the value of their contributions.

Chances are that 99.99% of the active membership of this board do not donate enough for them to answer our emails, much less provide us with a direct conduit to high level employees. The 0.01% of this board's active contributory membership that does donate to that level are smart enough to keep their mouth shut about it so they aren't hounded to death.

Reactions: VFL1953
Fulmer isn’t running a charity. It’s a big job and it’s during a hard Covid year with lots of tough decisions. He should be paid well. I’m glad we have somebody running the ship who loves TN and has been at the top here.
... and who has zero idea what he's doing.

Reactions: AshG
It’s always easy to tell other people what they should do with their own money. And there’s no way that Fulmer has received anywhere close to $100 million from the university in salary. Hell I bet it’s not close to $50 million.
Yeah Phil couldn't buy that beach house if he's only taken $50,000,000 from UT. 🤪

Stop taking a salary! You are a multimillionaire many times over. If you truly care about UT, why would you continue to suck money from the program?! Good lord! How much money does one person need? In addition, Pruitt, you should take half salary next year if you are still here. What a massive impact that would have with the UT Volunteers football program! The players and recruits would see that there are truly more important things than money and would go a long way in improving team chemistry and effort level. Show all of us you are all in!! Maybe a petition is in order? Status quo is no longer OK. Do the right thing!
Lol...... why don’t you work for free? Otherwise.... take this ridiculous 💩 somewhere else

He wasn't supposed to be....he just kept burrowing his way back in deeper with the program.

Went from a "special advisor" to an "interim" athletic director to getting extensions for the athletic director job without making it public while he is asking everyone else to take pay cuts.
Fulmer has always wanted the AD job ever since he got fired as a HC. In my opinion it was his way of getting back at the administration. Having said that I do think he wants the best for the university, does he have the qualifications, etc., to do that. Think that remains a big question. I don't see how you can ask others to take significant pay cuts when you don't.

Fulmer has always wanted the AD job ever since he got fired as a HC. In my opinion it was his way of getting back at the administration. Having said that I do think he wants the best for the university, does he have the qualifications, etc., to do that. Think that remains a big question. I don't see how you can ask others to take significant pay cuts when you don't.

Agreed.

He has kept his name in the background for a long time and I think he jumped on the chance when Currie screwed the pooch during the coaching search.

He should inherently want whats best for the school since it would be best for him as well in his current position. I just don't trust he has the ability. Didn't as a coach and Pruitt is shaping up as a disaster.

The optics of Pruitt and Fulmer getting extensions while supposedly navigating a financial shortfall from the pandemic are terrible. Shouldn't be a shock that there may be some disgruntled staff around the AD and the football roster.

Reactions: VOL-TIL-I-DIE
Agreed.

He has kept his name in the background for a long time and I think he jumped on the chance when Currie screwed the pooch during the coaching search.

He should inherently want whats best for the school since it would be best for him as well in his current position. I just don't trust he has the ability. Didn't as a coach and Pruitt is shaping up as a disaster.

The optics of Pruitt and Fulmer getting extensions while supposedly navigating a financial shortfall from the pandemic are terrible. Shouldn't be a shock that there may be some disgruntled staff around the AD and the football roster.

Fulmer should have never been fired in the first place. A lot of people said he got complacent in recruiting. As I recall, Tennessee was ranked 5th in the Country, the day they fired him. Had commitments from Tajh Boyd and Bryce Petty. They ended up being pretty good QB’s . Was trying to change the offense, which is impossible to do in one year. I’m not sure if Dave Clawson was a bad hire or not. He was here 11 months. Fulmer would have turned it around, given the opportunity. Hadn’t done much since he left. I’m not satisfied with the season, just like everybody else, but I think Pruitt should get as much time as Butch Jones did. If we can get the right OL and DL coaches , I think next year will be a lot better.

Reactions: GrizzlyVol
Stop taking a salary! You are a multimillionaire many times over. If you truly care about UT, why would you continue to suck money from the program?! Good lord! How much money does one person need?

Ill be honest yes he has more money than he needs. But he is a father and a grandfather and I can guarantee you he wants to leave as much money as possible for them for their future. I can't fault him for that.

Fulmer should have never been fired in the first place. A lot of people said he got complacent in recruiting. As I recall, Tennessee was ranked 5th in the Country, the day they fired him. Had commitments from Tajh Boyd and Bryce Petty. They ended up being pretty good QB’s . Was trying to change the offense, which is impossible to do in one year. I’m not sure if Dave Clawson was a bad hire or not. He was here 11 months. Fulmer would have turned it around, given the opportunity. Hadn’t done much since he left. I’m not satisfied with the season, just like everybody else, but I think Pruitt should get as much time as Butch Jones did. If we can get the right OL and DL coaches , I think next year will be a lot better.

As I recall, our very own VN The Freak reported back in the day that after Phil was forced to retire that Kiffin withdrew the offer from Tajh Boyd. Wound up at Clemson and that was the beginning of their uprise and our downfall. Makes one wonder what would have happened had we retained Phil just 1 more year with the 5th rated class coming in. At the very least Clemson doesn’t get Boyd and we probably never see Kiffin at UT.

As I recall, our very own VN The Freak reported back in the day that after Phil was forced to retire that Kiffin withdrew the offer from Tajh Boyd. Wound up at Clemson and that was the beginning of their uprise and our downfall. Makes one wonder what would have happened had we retained Phil just 1 more year with the 5th rated class coming in. At the very least Clemson doesn’t get Boyd and we probably never see Kiffin at UT.
Hindsight is 20/20. But yes it would have been interesting to see Boyd and maybe even Petty the next year , competing for the starting job. Tajh Boyd would have helped recruiting in the future. But we will never know.

Hindsight is 20/20. But yes it would have been interesting to see Boyd and maybe even Petty the next year , competing for the starting job. Tajh Boyd would have helped recruiting in the future. But we will never know.

Hindsight is not always 20/20, sometimes it makes you cross eyed and you can’t see a damn thing.

VN Store

Back