Fulmer coach in waiting (article)

First, we're not firing Pruitt this year. It's too expensive and too much trouble. We will ride it out and hope his recruits slowly pull it back out of the ditch in a year or two. Secondly, if something crazy were to happen and Pruitt was out the next man up would be Jim Chaney as of today. 100% no doubt about it.

First, we're not firing Pruitt this year. It's too expensive and too much trouble. We will ride it out and hope his recruits slowly pull it back out of the ditch in a year or two. Secondly, if something crazy were to happen and Pruitt was out the next man up would be Jim Chaney as of today. 100% no doubt about it.
Tennessee should have hired NCSU head coach Dave Doeren when they had the chance:rolleyes:

Tennessee should have hired NCSU head coach Dave Doeren when they had the chance:rolleyes:
No, I don't believe that. It would probably be a little worse because at least Pruitt does have some pretty good recruiting chops. If it were Doeren we'd still stink this year and have less talent coming in which guarantees perpetual sucktitude. You might beat Georgia State and have the team know how to line up in the first two games but the ceiling is so much lower in the long term. Chaney could actually be a pretty good coach with the right staff under him, but if it gets to that point it means another transition period of three + years. He'd be like Ed O is for LSU. This year is pretty much a wash so my best hope is Pruitt will magically hang onto the good recruits he's been able to get and clean this mess up a baby step at a time. Go Vols

I don't think Fulmer wants any part of coaching. What you need to watch for, if Pruitt is let go, is Tee becoming the HC with Fulmer as AD.

My husband is convinced they will Fire Pruitt and instate Fulmer as interim. I can’t remember what school did that recently...AD coaching after the head coach was fired....but I sure hope not
To be fair, if you read other boards, this is what everyone thinks outside of TN. It’s pretty unanimous in the thought that Fulmer is bidding his time.

My husband is convinced they will Fire Pruitt and instate Fulmer as interim. I can’t remember what school did that recently...AD coaching after the head coach was fired....but I sure hope not

Barry Alvarez at Wisconsin coached the Badgers in the Outback bowl vs Auburn after Gary Anderson resigned to take the Oregon State job about 4 or 5 years ago.

Wisconsin.

Kansas State and Wisconsin's Barry Alvarez did something similar a few years back.

I think Wisconsin did that with Barry Alvarez

He might be an interim HC (and I doubt even that), but he will never be the full time HC again.

If he comes in as interim, I believe they will start searching for a new AD. They are close to desperation mode up there.

Very possible. Could have been part of the plan the whole time. Bring in a guy that he knew wouldn’t cut it, let him get embarrassed (especially knowing he’s a die-hard Bammer just as Phil is a die-hard Vol), take over for a few years for stability and then hand it over to Tee.

I agree with everything you said except for that last part. If Phil gets back in as HC, it will take an act of God to remove him from that position. He will not relinquish it willingly.

UT Atheletic department should remove media passes from people/companies who publish such stupid and slanderous articles. Cut their access if they are stirring up unnecessary drama.

Barry Alvarez has stepped in twice at Wisconsin. First was when Bielama left and again when Anderson left.

I am all for it if it’s temporary. What do we have to lose? If Pruitt is let go we need a moratorium on hiring Saban assistants.

VN Store

Back