FSU Series Carnage.

Perry Parris

Things will get better.

Mark Etheridge of SEBaseball said that we looked like a "northern team" this weekend - i.e, a couple of weeks behind in sharpness and cohesion. Let's hope Eastern Michigan looks like that starting Friday.....

The defensive numbers were ugly:

Errors - UT 9 FSU 0
Unearned runs allowed - UT 6 FSU 0

While these aren't good at all, they didn't directly determine the outcome of the series. The pitching struggled from top to bottom. We had 8 pitchers log innings, and all 8 allowed at least 1 run. Danny Wiltz only gave up one run - unearned - so he gets the "pitcher of the week" award. He looks set to have a good year with his "beginning" role in middle relief/set-up. James Adkins certainly pitched well enough to win Saturday, but the bats were just frozen. Cobby and McClain will be fine.

Speaking of bats - check out these numbers:

Tony D was 1 for 11 with 4 K's.
Jarred Frazier was 0 for 10 with 6 K's.
Jeff Lockwood was 0 for 10 with 3 K's.

The good numbers at the plate:

Cody Brown - 4 for 10, 3 RBI
Shawn Griffin - 5 for 10

JP Arencibia hits the first HR of the year on Sunday, the 26th of his career (Todd Helton is the career leader with 38).

We cut down the strikeouts to 6 on Sunday, after 13 Friday and 12 Saturday.

Eastern Michigan comes to town this weekend - 3PM Friday, 3PM Saturday (right after basketball), and 2PM Sunday (all depending on the weather). Get out and support these guys if you can. They are a good group and have a chance for a good year. FSU is just one series. There are lots of opportunities for this team. Go BASEVOLS!!

PP

Well there were signs of improvement, just in the 3 games. I wish I could make it to these game, but I am heading out of town. Hopefully Freak and his season tickets can fullfill my spot.

I'm going to be gone for this weekend too. Gotta take the girlfriend to a hockey game for Valentine's.

I know we lost Fri what happened rest of weekend?

Are we in for another disappointing year w/ Hot Rod at the helm?

The rest of the weekend was more of the same. Perry's post pretty much sums up the issues we had. Let's just hope that our decrease in strikeouts each day is a sign that our bats were getting better not just that their pitching was getting worse.

I think we have a very solid team and I don't believe what we saw this past weekend is inidicative of how we will play the rest of the year. :crossfingers: :)

I agree. We are a much better team than what we showed; we have 2 quality starters in Adkins and Cobb that we can ride. I know McClain will be good as well - if everybody stays patient with him - and that will give us a chance most every series.

You know the deal in the SEC: don't get swept and win a few series and you are right in the thick of it. Good defense will be essential and that's what I hope gets better. Our best teams were solid defensively. With young guys and newcomers, it may be shaky for a bit, but maybe we can get settled in before March 16. My fielding percentage benchmark is .965 or at least that's what I'm hoping for. Our number coming out of Tallahassee was .922. Ugh.

Losing Julio could be a blessing in disguise if the young guys pick up the rope and get better. That can make us a deeper team with a couple of extra experienced bats once #5 gets back out there for conference play - the real season.

We've got 17 straight home games, starting Friday - let's take advantage of it.

Losing Julio could be a blessing in disguise if the young guys pick up the rope and get better. That can make us a deeper team with a couple of extra experienced bats once #5 gets back out there for conference play - the real season.

So true. :good!: :clapping:

VN Store

Back