From The Hill…

Volstorm

VN GURU
I think that most kids still receive their education into the world of sports from one person…their father.

Those of you who have kids, or were active participants in sports realize how strong of an influence that is. As we grew up we can remember the first time that our Dad took us to a game. No matter which school you root for everyone has those memories of going to games with our fathers, and how that has fueled the passion we have for sports today. For me, I have always grown up in the environment of Tennessee Football. Though I wasn’t able to get into the game very much early in life, my passion began when I moved to Knoxville in June of 1985 (coincidence, I think not).

My first live game ever was Vanderbilt at Neyland Stadium 1985. I can remember goal posts being carried out, sugar cubes being thrown, and an excitement in the air I had never experienced. I can remember going and picking up tickets for $5 a piece at the gate before games in the 80’s. Even though my early career as a Vol fan was spent mainly test-tubing it (translation: watching on TV), Dad was always there. He taught me the Xs and Os of the game, and as I grew older, I began to develop a passion for the game. I remember the road trips to Memphis (Ole Miss), Nashville (Vanderbilt) and Lexington (Kentucky) on several occasions, and always going home victorious. And of course it just wasn’t Tennessee Football without the scent of Jack Daniels.

I can remember my Dad and I sitting at the Florida game in 1992, in the monsoon, as Shuler and company shelled out a beating to the Gators. I remember the Alabama streak and watching the 1995 game at his best friend’s house as Manning and the Vols ended it. And of course the Kentucky game was always cold and miserable, but we hung in there. We would sit on his best friend’s boat with the Vol Navy before the games in the 90’s, with music blaring from the boat’s sound system and the blender making another one of his famous Margaritas. And when David Allen Coe’s “You Never Even Called Me By My Name” was played, everyone joined in. I can remember the long walk from the boat up to his seats in the upper deck that took forever, and having him to talk to vent to after the games. My dad always watched the games on TV with me, and was able to put up with me through my yelling, jumping, throwing of objects, and pretty much everything that goes along with being a hardcore fan. My last live game with my dad was 2002, the 6OT game against Arkansas. I don’t think we had been so relieved in our lives. But then again maybe God knew, and he wanted to make sure Dad got his fill.

Through the wins and losses, a good time was always had. My experiences with my Dad and his friends helped to make me the passionate fan that I am today of Tennessee Football. My Dad’s seat was in the South end zone, upper deck, I usually sat in the lower North end zone. And even when I sat in the student section I would always look for him, and I still will. The only difference is now he has a better seat than anybody does.

I take pride in the fact that even though my dad has passed, I was with him until the end, and that we both knew how much we loved each other.

This is dedicated to the memory of my father, my friend, John Michael Anderson. I miss you and I love you very much.

- John Michael Anderson II (Volstorm)

Very nice Volstorm,and I my condolences to you and your family. I took my step-son to his first Vols game last year against Alabama and he still talks about it..

Moved me to tears. Thanks Storm, it makes us appreciate what we have. My daughter goes to the games with me and hope she will have fond memories as you do.....Thanks again and Godspeed.

I had a little tear well up in my eye as well. Reminds me of all the Texas Rangers, Seattle Mariners and Portland AAA baseball games my dad used to take me to and of grilling and watching Emmitt and the Cowboys play every Sunday. Very touching.

Wow, that was great. There are so many memories my father and I have together at football games. Replace a few of those fames here and there, and I could write almost the exact same story (except for the end, of course). I hope writing that helps you greive a little more.

Hey Stormy, what an appropriate tribute to your dad...very similar experiences here...I really miss my dad...

Reading what you had to say in this post tells me everything I need to know about how special your dad was to you, and I am sure vice versa...Good job man, and may those kinds of thoughts about and memories of your dad stay with you and comfort you always.

My condolences again, my friend, and may God bless you in a very special way at this time.

Excellent tribute to your Father Stormy. Those memories will become more special as time goes by.

Every day I think of my Dad and how much I miss him.

May God give you and your family comfort during this time of grief.

Thanks, for the article Storm, I called my Dad after reading it just to say hey, sounds like you had a "Dad" not just a father.

Originally posted by Volstorm@Aug 6, 2005 2:57 PM
I think that most kids still receive their education into the world of sports from one person…their father.

Those of you who have kids, or were active participants in sports realize how strong of an influence that is.  As we grew up we can remember the first time that our Dad took us to a game.  No matter which school you root for everyone has those memories of going to games with our fathers, and how that has fueled the passion we have for sports today.  For me, I have always grown up in the environment of Tennessee Football.  Though I wasn’t able to get into the game very much early in life, my passion began when I moved to Knoxville in June of 1985 (coincidence, I think not). 

My first live game ever was Vanderbilt at Neyland Stadium 1985.  I can remember goal posts being carried out, sugar cubes being thrown, and an excitement in the air I had never experienced.  I can remember going and picking up tickets for $5 a piece at the gate before games in the 80’s.  Even though my early career as a Vol fan was spent mainly test-tubing it (translation: watching on TV), Dad was always there.  He taught me the Xs and Os of the game, and as I grew older, I began to develop a passion for the game.  I remember the road trips to Memphis (Ole Miss), Nashville (Vanderbilt) and Lexington (Kentucky) on several occasions, and  always going home victorious.  And of course it just wasn’t Tennessee Football without the scent of Jack Daniels. 

I can remember my Dad and I sitting at the Florida game in 1992, in the monsoon, as Shuler and company shelled out a beating to the Gators.  I remember the Alabama streak and watching the 1995 game at his best friend’s house as Manning and the Vols ended it.  And of course the Kentucky game was always cold and miserable, but we hung in there.  We would sit on his best friend’s boat with the Vol Navy before the games in the 90’s, with music blaring from the boat’s sound system and the blender making another one of his famous Margaritas.  And when David Allen Coe’s “You Never Even Called Me By My Name” was played, everyone joined in. I can remember the long walk from the boat up to his seats in the upper deck that took forever, and having him to talk to vent to after the games.  My dad always watched the games on TV with me, and was able to put up with me through my yelling, jumping, throwing of objects, and pretty much everything that goes along with being a hardcore fan.  My last live game with my dad was 2002, the 6OT game against Arkansas.  I don’t think we had been so relieved in our lives.  But then again maybe God knew, and he wanted to make sure Dad got his fill.

Through the wins and losses, a good time was always had. My experiences with my Dad and his friends helped to make me the passionate fan that I am today of Tennessee Football. My Dad’s seat was in the South end zone, upper deck, I usually sat in the lower North end zone.  And even when I sat in the student section I would always look for him, and I still will.  The only difference is now he has a better seat than anybody does.

I take pride in the fact that even though my dad has passed, I was with him until the end, and that we both knew how much we loved each other. 
This is dedicated to the memory of my father, my friend, John Michael Anderson.  I miss you and I love you very much.

- John Michael Anderson II (Volstorm)
[snapback]122665[/snapback]​

I still remember the first game I ever was able to get my dad to go to. He is very old school, hates crowds, but I finally got him to go to one in 1974. It was the opener against UCLA.

Condredge got hurt in the first half and we fell behind, I believe it was 17-7 UCLA at the half. The staduim was really quiet to start the 2nd half, everyone was really in the dumps, what with Holloway out. We didn't like our chances against a really tough UCLA team.

About 2 minutes into the 3rd quarter, Condredge came out of the tunnel. At that time they came out under the East stands. He made his way towards the North endzone and all the way around to the UT bench. The stadium erupted. Condredge led the Vols back to tie the game at 17 all. It was a great comeback. My dad still talks about that. He's 83 now, and he sometimes forgets things that have happened recently, but the past is still vivid for him.

Stormy,

I know it must be hard, but remember; God was merciful to allow you the opportunity to have such a close, loving relationship with your dad. So many people today go through life with little differences separating them from the ones they love. Be glad that both you and your father were close to the end.

I will remember you and your's in my prayers.

Storm,I was really moved by your post.I hope all is going well.I Lost my brother in 82 and my father in 87.I kinda know what your going through,though I was never really close to my father.I never got to experience that with my own Dad.I envy what you had with your father.I know how difficult it is to deal with a loss in the immediate family.I had great friends in high school to help me deal with the death of my brother.Trust me my friend,it will get better but it takes time.Take care.

Nice post, Stormy. Enjoying those games with those you love, friends and family, and having those games serve as an annual anchor in your life are the best parts of the game and being a fan.

Nice post. I think we all have some tie to our Big Orange heritage similar to yours. My dad is still alive but I thank him for introducing me to Big Orange Football at a young age back in 1967. Thanks for the post and thanks dad!!!

Beautiful story, thought and gift; No better tribute than to allow someone who can no longer do it for themselves to keep on giving through you.

VN Store

Back