Freak, does this board have spyware?

No possible way that it's coming from here. Most likely some type of program that you have installed. On this board you are not installing anything so there is no chance of spyware.

What kind of problems/symptoms are you having?

Try this if you haven't already...

Spy Sweeper

Do the try it for free.

I've had Adaware and I ran it then ran Spy Sweeper a little later and it found 77 spyware and 555 somthing traces of spyware that AdAware didn't catch.

The "Lavasoft" site also has a great, free downloadable program called AdAware that identifies and deletes both spyware and malware.

Whatever you use, this is something everyone should not only be aware of, but also have a means of dealing with.

The way you asked LadyO, you obviously already know about the issue, but, since it's a pet peeve of mine, I'm going to pretend you don't so I can point out that no antivirus program protects against these problems, even though they can be just as dangerous as a worm or virus.

Thanks y'all. Freak, to answer your question, I keep getting these annoying pop-ups about AOL, free stuff, etc. It just gets on my nerves. I didn't think VN would be the problem, but I had to start somewhere.

You should take MemphisVol's advice and try Adaware and see if that helps the problem. Like I said before it's most likely some software that you installed recently.

'Spybot: Search and Destroy' is another great program. Using both will usually keep your machine very clean. Each catch a couple things the other doesn't.

A petty point, but...

AdAware, SpyBot, etc. don't specifically say "You may need to restart your computer to make your browser & mail programs work properly after our tools clean the spy & malware out of your system". Yet that appears to be the case with some problems and programs, especially if you use Outlook Express. Outlook appears to be so vulnerable, that it's pretty common for people to have trouble even opening it until they've both cleaned & restarted their system.

You can run Ad/Malware cleaning programs while you've got other programs running, no problem, but always save your stuff first just in case you picked up something that needs a restart to dot the "i"s and cross the "t"s.

What I can't figure out is how my computer gets this stuff OVERNIGHT. I leave my computer on, yes, but it is UNTOUCHED all night long.

:dunno:

"Untouched" by you, maybe...

Whether you've got dial up or DSL ("always on"), you always ought to disconnect from the internet before you go to be, AND have your connection set so that it can't automatically reconnect.

In addition to people using your computer remotely, planting bugs, or perusing your system for info, spyware & malware doesn't operate like normal ask-your-permission-first cookies. Its job is to sneak onto your system, then report back regularly. That's the main reason your system slows down so much- you've essentially got a whole bunch of other people using your internet phone line at the same time you are. Also, just like hitting "refresh" when you're offline will automatically reconnect you (with some connection settings), a great deal of spy & malware accomplishes the same when it tries to "refresh" its contact with its home-base.

In the end, it's just a good idea not to leave your computer online overnight OR disconnected (you think) but with your connection settings in "automatically reconnect" mode. The spy & malware is obnoxious enough, but there's worse out there. In particular, the new corporate security systems don't just kill viruses, they try to hunt down the hacker and fry their systems. Since a standard hacker practice is to hide themselves by routing their stuff through a series of innocent people like you whose computers are online, that means that you're potentially in danger of having your computer fried by Microsoft, Sony, or one of the other companies that use one of the new aggressive security programs.

Fun, huh?

If you've got a cable connection, that actually increases your reasons to disconnect whenever you aren't using it. Cable connections are vastly faster, and therefore easier to hitch-hike onto without anybody noticing. Especially if you're just a plebe like you and me.

VN Store

Back