Four Aces.....

GameTime

Guys, Kellie has put together a recruiting class that is going to bring the Lady Vols back into the national discussion again as a contender for top honors....

It started with Karoline Striplin...A 6'2" powerfully built versatile player for the down low game, and can pop from the deep 3 when needed....She is going to be fantastic!
10455180_8d9323ccb4944422a4f250e0a2d0da35.jpg

Kaiya Wynn... A 5'10" shooting guard that is cat quick to the rim and can shoot from the outside too.
DSC_3139-1024x887.jpg
Sara Puckett....A 6'2" forward that is versatile enough to play on the blocks, or can pop from the deep outside...
9793125.jpg

Brooklyn Miles.....A 5'6" point guard that will drive defenses crazy trying to stop her from penetrating their defensive positions....She is double cat quick and ready to be a Lady Vol....
EJf1qZcXkAIK3ef.jpg

The coach....She did good!!!
20190411-103430-php0JSKJk.jpg

The only thing that jumps out to me is the fact that these girls are kinda short when you stack them up against the teams that have been the "power" in women's basketball over the past few years. I know 6'-6'2"/3" is about right outside the "box". But if you are less than 6' you will be kinda small going in the "box" with most of the elite teams this day and time. These recruits look like the kind of players you get at schools like Kellie just came from, good to better, but when they come up against the best and taller teams, they come up a little short (pun intended).

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
The only thing that jumps out to me is the fact that these girls are kinda short when you stack them up against the teams that have been the "power" in women's basketball over the past few years. I know 6'-6'2"/3" is about right outside the "box". But if you are less than 6' you will be kinda small going in the "box" with most of the elite teams this day and time. These recruits look like the kind of players you get at schools like Kellie just came from, good to better, but when they come up against the best and taller teams, they come up a little short (pun intended).

2021 will probably look like this:

PG - 6'2 Horston
SG - 5'10 Wynn
SF - 6'1 Burrell
PF - 6'2 Striplin
C - 6'5 Key

I think that's pretty good height all around.

2021 will probably look like this:

PG - 6'2 Horston
SG - 5'10 Wynn
SF - 6'1 Burrell
PF - 6'2 Striplin
C - 6'5 Key

I think that's pretty good height all around.

You said it ---- pretty good.....
What does that get you in the upper level of the SEC, let alone the rest of women's college upper level?
Not doubting what you say, because I just don't know how we stacks up overall. Help me out here, is this near average for the top level teams??

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK

Puckett is 6’2” on the perimeter and can take defenders down low. She is also deceptively athletic as she plays volleyball and moves her feet well and if you watch her block a shot it’s timed very well.

Striplin is 6’3” but has really good foot work and could take bigger players off the bounce or draw them away from the basket.

Wynn is between 5-10 and 6 ft which is good for a 2 guard and she is athletic as hell.

At 5-5/5-6 Miles is the shortest but she can get by players. She will have to learn with quick players like her and probably bigger but she looks like she can handle the job. I could see bigs in the next recruiting cycle.

They're going to be looking mighty tall when they start raining 3 balls all over their opponents....Some may have thought Shannon Bobbitt was to short too.

We were extra tall this past season, but a lot of much shorter teams blew us away with the 3 ball attack....The days of the just throw the ball to the tall girl offense, have gone the way of the Dodo Bird...
ZaptEMdBrUGS_zK_Q_i_brc1xoN9bpz-MPbP6BYJP0_E3AZ1omuQ01hF0x5SnltT=x1-y0-z2-nt0cL88YSf1iXfwgqpgCEWu2c627ZQ

I think the bench is far stronger even this coming season and by 2021 we'll have strong depth starters plus bench. I think the day of the slumping zone daring Tennessee players to shoot is over. We'll have 8 to 10 players that can make the open shot at a high percentage and this can only help the inside players. Players like Striplin and Puckett are inside out players that are a factor anywhere on the court neither are one dimensional like some of the inside players we have now. Players like Wynn, Salary, Miles, and even Darby can take it inside as well as shoot it outside. I really like the makeup of the team I think were headed in the right direction.

What does that get you in the upper level of the SEC, let alone the rest of women's college upper level?
Not doubting what you say, because I just don't know how we stacks up overall. Help me out here, is this near average for the top level teams??

Considering that the upper level of the SEC has been the upper level of women’s basketball it probably will work out well to be honest...

Let’s say take SC

PG - Henderson ( 5’7)

SG- Cooke (5’9”)

SF - Beal ( 6’1)

PF- Amihere (6’3”)

C- Boston (6’4”)

Those are just guesses on who is there already... but the heights are close

Reactions: savannahfan
Considering that the upper level of the SEC has been the upper level of women’s basketball it probably will work out well to be honest...

Let’s say take SC

PG - Henderson ( 5’7)

SG- Cooke (5’9”)

SF - Beal ( 6’1)

PF- Amihere (6’3”)

C- Boston (6’4”)

This is the kind of thing I was referring to and yes SC was on who was coming to mind along with Miss St. Thanks for the reply. Boy, it sure would be nice to see how that plays out over the whole landscape wouldn't it? Some follower of VolNation that devotes this kind of time to a question may get on this. Hint Hint:rolleyes: (not you, I think you are like me in that some knowledge is enough, don't need to overload the mind with too much sports info or lack thereof)

Let’s say take SC

PG - Henderson ( 5’7)

SG- Cooke (5’9”)

SF - Beal ( 6’1)

PF- Amihere (6’3”)

C- Boston (6’4”)

The wild card is Destiny Littleton 5-9 SG ?

That's a bigger starting 5 than any team I can think of this past season. 6'1/6'2 is an average height for PF, and most teams start sub-6 ft backcourts.

Height is probably the one thing Tennessee doesn't have to worry about.

Sure, Kellie is a three-time national champion, fan-fave Lady Vol who is personable, a great communicator, has a terrific family, a native Tennessean, an experienced coach who appears to be highly motivated to bring Tennessee back to its former glory. All that is good, but...

Can she recruit at this level???????

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!! No, wait. That's HELLLL YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

All that up there was just a few things I remember reading in the past. I thought it worth bringing up because those doubters really should be impressed by the recruiting skills Kellie and her staff are displaying in gathering such a well-balanced class -- one of the top classes in the nation. Simply sensational.

Awesome post, GameTime!

I'm super excited to see these ladies suit up in orange! I love the diversity of skills they will bring to the team. They each have a number of things they do well in their own right. I'm probably speaking too soon, but I think the collective Bball IQ of this class is such that Kellie won't have to spend more time than necessary teaching basic fundamentals.

We have solid players to build around Jordan -- who could be our next legacy player -- as well Tamari and Rae who have the potential to be among the best in the SEC at their position.

That’s not short at all..... South Carolina’s top 5 returning mpg players were 5’9, 5’7, 6’5,6’1, and 6’2

VN Store

Back