Former Georgia Standout Deandre Baker

I mean that if predeterminism is real, then attributing success or failure to someone's choices is just a narrative and not a reality.

Nobody is saying racists are right and I have no idea how you got there. I think you might be confused about the concept. It's not just genetics, it's also environment. So you might be genetically predisposed to anger and then come up in a racist environment and that would explain why you are racist. Or maybe your environment is people from another race mistreat you and that leads to your being racist.
Then that doesnt sound like its predetermined if you are bringing in how a person is raised.

Idk, maybe the concept is more involved than my impression from simvol, that's why I asked about the truths from it.

I should have added that I'm not accusing this guy of being a psychopath. Skin color is a minor component of genetics. There is likely more genetic variation between two randomly selected Africans than between a random European and African.
So which European neighborhoods are deal killers if you’re a youngin?

Then that doesnt sound like its predetermined if you are bringing in how a person is raised.

Idk, maybe the concept is more involved than my impression from simvol, that's why I asked about the truths from it.

Every choice in your life is predetermined by everything that came before it....not just genetics. Not just genetics + personal experience. It's everything in history that leads to that point where the choice is made.

Every choice in your life is predetermined by everything that came before it....not just genetics. Not just genetics + personal experience. It's everything in history that leads to that point where the choice is made.
Then I generally take issue with calling it any type of predetermism.

Imo that implies a reality that cant be avoided. Instead it sounds more like the Many Doors or "thrown-ness" philosophies.

Reactions: butchna
Then I generally take issue with calling it any type of predetermism.

Imo that implies a reality that cant be avoided. Instead it sounds more like the Many Doors or "thrown-ness" philosophies.

Isn't that what it is, tho? If you have no choice, then how can it be avoided?

Isn't that what it is, tho? If you have no choice, then how can it be avoided?
You had previous choices. Or someone had previous choices. That all lead to this "predetermined" outcome. I find it hard to reconcile that there is no current choice because of past choices. Imo the presence of past choices says that present choices are possible, even if less likely.

I make maybe 5% of three point shots I take, probably less than that I blow at BBall. If I get drunk and break my hand punching a brick wall, my chances of making a three pointer probably go down. But the chance is still there.

And that just deal with actual success vs trying, there is nothing stopping me from taking that drunk, broken handed three pointer even I have have literally and or figuratively crippled myself with past choices.

Baker wasnt in a do or die situation to say he was predetermined to HAVE to make that decision to rob people at gun point, allegedly. His upbringing and genetics, are already minimized by his current life, no matter your upbringing or circumstances, making the NFL is a success. So it's hard to say robbing people was the only option he knew, with the type of success he has had.

You had previous choices. Or someone had previous choices. That all lead to this "predetermined" outcome. I find it hard to reconcile that there is no current choice because of past choices. Imo the presence of past choices says that present choices are possible, even if less likely.

I make maybe 5% of three point shots I take, probably less than that I blow at BBall. If I get drunk and break my hand punching a brick wall, my chances of making a three pointer probably go down. But the chance is still there.

And that just deal with actual success vs trying, there is nothing stopping me from taking that drunk, broken handed three pointer even I have have literally and or figuratively crippled myself with past choices.

Baker wasnt in a do or die situation to say he was predetermined to HAVE to make that decision to rob people at gun point, allegedly. His upbringing and genetics, are already minimized by his current life, no matter your upbringing or circumstances, making the NFL is a success. So it's hard to say robbing people was the only option he knew, with the type of success he has had.

Not according to the theory.

Last edited:
Not according to the theory.
"Everything that came before it". Or is this really saying life is just some predetermined RNG experiment? Which again I find it difficult to reconcile the "predetermined" aspect vs the random weighted input every action that ever happened has on any particular outcome (butterfly effect).

"Everything that came before it". Or is this really saying life is just some predetermined RNG experiment? Which again I find it difficult to reconcile the "predetermined" aspect vs the random weighted input every action that ever happened has on any particular outcome (butterfly effect).

The idea is that nobody is the author of their own thoughts. They just arise based on factors that we don't control. That is the part that is hard for me. I find it hard to disagree with that aspect of it. I feel like I can say I have control over my own actions but I feel I have very little control over my thoughts, if any.

The idea is that nobody is the author of their own thoughts. They just arise based on factors that we don't control. That is the part that is hard for me. I find it hard to disagree with that aspect of it. I feel like I can say I have control over my own actions but I feel I have very little control over my thoughts, if any.
So thoughts vs actions.

I can buy that a bit more. But imo it doesnt apply here.

He isnt being arrested for alledgely thinking about robbing these guys. He is being arrested *warrant* for alledgely robbing these guys.

And I still dont buy that you have no control over any thought in your head. There are going to be some random "shiny object" thoughts that you cant. But by and large those dont shape our lives.

At least personally the thoughts that define me are reoccurring and as such i can actively shape them. May take a while and not immediately be where I want the second time I have it. But we have plenty of influence on our life altering thoughts.

The circumstance i would point to is when you are put in a bad spot, and you decide to make the best of it, and it turns out not nearly as bad as you thought. And possibly a good thing. This is still more of an immediate reward situation but applies to life.

Too deep for me....
I will be glad when the November elections are over
Lotta total BS from both sides
Keep the subjects divided while the elites get richer
Two faces on the same head

What did he say about skin color? Maybe I missed something.

Read between the lines, it's the racism of low expectations. Victim mentality racism. Because of who he is that poster thinks DeAndre Baker can't really help it. That's the worst kind of racist there is.

VN Store

Back