Foreshadowing - Pruitt call with Police. Only UT

How should we have handled the state of football?

• One more year.

Votes: 60 18.0%
  • Payed buyout

Votes: 70 21.0%
  • Current situation

Votes: 149 44.6%
  • None of the above

Votes: 55 16.5%

• Total voters
"This is the silliest s--- I’ve ever seen in my life,” Pruitt said during the phone conversation. “I’ve got it. I understand. I’ve worked at four places, and I ain’t ever had no crap like this except for here.”

Im not advocating for Banks just making a point. Why are we killing ourselves. What this administration just did is worse than anything I've ever seen in my 45 yrs of watching college football. They should be fired for how they have handled this firing. 👀😑

I know Pruitt is not a good head coach. But how they handled his ouster. I wish they paid the buyout and had a coach in waiting. I know, I don't have millions.
We may not play with the big boys but dang sure play against them. They are all cheating. That being said I'm starting to wonder if we should have the soccer model and be demoted. Maybe losing money and the prestige of being in the SEC would hit harder than just fans not showing up. TV money!!!
Maybe the administration would be motivated to get it right.

I'm not sure how this will turnout but this clusterf... is not going to stick to Pruitt for longer than 2-3 yrs. It will be with us longer. And we haven't hit rock bottom.

I can't even guess at head coaches or next steps because I'm truly stunned at the ineptitude at the top.

Do you think we would have been better paying him to leave?
Or even giving him another year?
For one thing, Pruitt had no business talking to the police, while they were detaining one of his players. Bad look.

We need more information before drawing the sort of conclusions that you are. As of right now, I tend to believe that firing Pruitt with cause was justified.

Yep. Now you know why no Bama players ever get into trouble... Pruitt should of probably taken that as a hint that what goes on down there will get you fired here.. It's unfair really. UT takes a lead pipe to their own kneecaps and justify it as higher moral standards. Teams that win like Bama and a hand full of other teams have certain advantages. Not going to compete with that... Just go ahead and get out of the same sandbox...

Honestly I don’t have any clue how I would’ve handled it. We don’t know what was in the investigation. For all we know there could be evidence of drugs, prostitution etc. Or it could just be run of the mill cheating that happens everywhere and we just got sloppy with it.

I do absolutely know I would’ve had contingencies for Fulmer already explored in case this got bad. An AD hire would’ve happened as soon as Fulmer stepped down. Even if he were the best AD in the country I would’ve had four or five names ready to say yes if something happened. Tennessee once was in the top ten most valuable football programs in the nation; I would hate to know how much money we have lost and will lose bc of the idiotic decisions of those in charge.

Reactions: OG.V83
Honestly I don’t have any clue how I would’ve handled it. We don’t know what was in the investigation. For all we know there could be evidence of drugs, prostitution etc. Or it could just be run of the mill cheating that happens everywhere and we just got sloppy with it.

I do absolutely know I would’ve had contingencies for Fulmer already explored in case this got bad. An AD hire would’ve happened as soon as Fulmer stepped down. Even if he were the best AD in the country I would’ve had four or five names ready to say yes if something happened. Tennessee once was in the top ten most valuable football programs in the nation; I would hate to know how much money we have lost and will lose bc of the idiotic decisions of those in charge.
There is definitely something out there that we don't know... It seems like defending ourselves and disputing the allegations was never an option. We need more information. It will come out eventually.

Reactions: feathersax
There is definitely something out there that we don't know... It seems like defending ourselves and disputing the allegations was never an option. We need more information. It will come out eventually.
I mean I can see it going either way. Either something beyond the usual level of shady went on OR we just achieved a new level of stupid.

I think OP is trying to advocate for Pruitt, and saying that UTPD should have let James Banks walk after he threatened them for arresting him on a valid warrant.

If that’s the case, then I fear the OP is deranged.
We truly have some idiotic fans lol

Reactions: feathersax
Unless Steele is going to be the HC we don't need him out selecting coaches when we haven't hired a HC. No HC worth a darn is not going to want his own assistants, now he may retain a few but your tying one arm behind your back from the get go getting a good HC if you are allowing Steele to hire assistants. You may as well appoint him HC if your gonna do that. GBO!

In Colleges and Universities, the Athletic Director is held responsible for overseeing all aspects of a football program including recruiting. Part of an Athletic Director's job is making sure their programs are in compliance with rules and regulations. When Fulmer setup Majors for his demise as the head coach, I never felt Fulmer could be trusted. It has led me to believe that Fulmer's motives were always questionable when he was rehired as the Athletic Director after being fired himself. I want to believe that Fulmer had the best interest in mind for the program, but I often wonder if there was any lingering bad blood and he didn't want anyone to succeed as the head coach of the Vols. The way Donde made it a point to clear Fulmer of any responsibility for any violations tends to make me think they are willing to overlook his negligence to oversee the football program. I am sure there is plenty of blame to spread around in the program, but what about the Athletic Director's responsibility. There are obvious dysfunctions within the program, but the problems go beyond the head coach from the Athletic Director on up.

Hey Opie, you got any evidence of these other programs cheating? Remember this, championship winning programs that put 10-15 players/year into the league, don’t have to cheat, those programs sell themselves. It’s the mid-level, and bottom dwellers that are usually the ones guilty of cheating, trying to get to the top. So don’t project on to other teams, what your team is guilty of there fella!

Pruitt destroyed this program, period. He was given the keys to the Ferrari and he destroyed it. While committing coaching malpractice, he saw everyone as a subordinate and crapped on them, including the fans. For him to make an indignant statement like that indicates his enormous ignorance and incompetence. See ya hotshot! Don’t let the door hit your rear end on the way out!
I wouldn't say a Ferrari, more like a souped up maverick.

I can agree with this point. Especially going after the buyout based on sanctions.

It's much easier to not pay money than it is to recapture spent money.

Imagine if a guy says you owe him 1000$ for fixing your car. You say you don't owe him anything more because you can see the car sitting on blocks, and he sold the engine, after you've already paid him 1000$.

In your world. You'd give him the extra 1000$ and say. "we'll work this out later" because you're worried he might tell someone you know that you didn't pay him.

In my world I give him the finger, keep my 1000$, have my car towed back home and learn a powerful lesson about not letting idiots work on my car.

We sucked in 2020.

Yea, but at least we had some talent on the roster...we’re going to drop down to UTC level talent before we hit bottom...our competitive games will be against UT Martin, Ball State, Bowling agree, etc...hopefully we can win a few of those and not go 0-12...

He should have never been hired. We knew that. Many said it at the time, for various reasons.

Just more ineptitude from our administration. It's been one failing after another for more than a decade.

"This is the silliest s--- I’ve ever seen in my life,” Pruitt said during the phone conversation. “I’ve got it. I understand. I’ve worked at four places, and I ain’t ever had no crap like this except for here.”

Im not advocating for Banks just making a point. Why are we killing ourselves. What this administration just did is worse than anything I've ever seen in my 45 yrs of watching college football. They should be fired for how they have handled this firing. 👀😑

I know Pruitt is not a good head coach. But how they handled his ouster. I wish they paid the buyout and had a coach in waiting. I know, I don't have millions.
We may not play with the big boys but dang sure play against them. They are all cheating. That being said I'm starting to wonder if we should have the soccer model and be demoted. Maybe losing money and the prestige of being in the SEC would hit harder than just fans not showing up. TV money!!!
Maybe the administration would be motivated to get it right.

I'm not sure how this will turnout but this clusterf... is not going to stick to Pruitt for longer than 2-3 yrs. It will be with us longer. And we haven't hit rock bottom.

I can't even guess at head coaches or next steps because I'm truly stunned at the ineptitude at the top.

Do you think we would have been better paying him to leave?
Or even giving him another year?

The only reason the administration did this (or any administration would do this) is because they were all but certain to get hammered by the NCAA because the coach and his staff were completely out of control. It was unavoidable. So in those situations you get the hell out in front of it. There's no damn way this sod of a coach should get his buyout. What happened could have only been avoided by never hiring Pruitt to begin with.

I think fire the entire administration is the best way to go.they have screwed up the last four hires with total ineptitude.we are now the home of "blue-light special" of athletics,thanks to UT admin.No offense to K-Mart.

In Colleges and Universities, the Athletic Director is held responsible for overseeing all aspects of a football program including recruiting. Part of an Athletic Director's job is making sure their programs are in compliance with rules and regulations. When Fulmer setup Majors for his demise as the head coach, I never felt Fulmer could be trusted. It has led me to believe that Fulmer's motives were always questionable when he was rehired as the Athletic Director after being fired himself. I want to believe that Fulmer had the best interest in mind for the program, but I often wonder if there was any lingering bad blood and he didn't want anyone to succeed as the head coach of the Vols. The way Donde made it a point to clear Fulmer of any responsibility for any violations tends to make me think they are willing to overlook his negligence to oversee the football program. I am sure there is plenty of blame to spread around in the program, but what about the Athletic Director's responsibility. There are obvious dysfunctions within the program, but the problems go beyond the head coach from the Athletic Director on up.
Your last sentence couldn't be more true. What you have, and it's been that way for years, is a group of boosters who aren't on the same page. It's the Haslam group against all others. The Haslams were behind Fulmer's dismissal, the hiring of Currie, and the attempted hiring of Schiano and Leach. After that debacle, the others were able to pitch Fulmer as AD and he hired Pruitt, much to the chagrin of the Haslams. They still had to sign off on it though. Fulmer's final interview for the AD job was held at the governor's mansion. In attendance, besides Fulmer, were Peyton Manning, Bill Haslam, Jim Haslam, and Beverly Davenport. We can blame Hamilton, Dooley, Hart, Jones, Currie, Davenport, Fulmer, and Pruitt all we want, but look at the common denominator. A dysfunctional bunch of boosters who at the least have made a series of terrible decisions over the last decade. At most, they have compounded those bad decisions by fussing and meddling to the point very few would be successful at UT. It's a toxic situation especially since they've decided to get rid of Pruitt by de facto suicide, as someone else called it. It's going to be tough to find a good AD and Coach now. It will almost certainly be at UT guy and someone looking for a job, i.e. Steele.

Unless Steele is going to be the HC we don't need him out selecting coaches when we haven't hired a HC. No HC worth a darn is not going to want his own assistants, now he may retain a few but your tying one arm behind your back from the get go getting a good HC if you are allowing Steele to hire assistants. You may as well appoint him HC if your gonna do that. GBO!

Now you get it.

VN Store

Back