For those who want a coaching change

Did he really want it?

I have no clue, I just assumed he did.

Honestly I don't care if he did or not because he ain't here. It doesn't matter if Gruden, Belechick, Leach, Mullen or Urban wanted it.

It won't matter who wants it when we fire Pruitt. The ONLY thing that matters is .....wait for it....who we get. And how has that worked out for us the last 4 times in 10 fricking years???

I agree and what is more frustrating is we have the money!!! Lets be honest, the already approved $340 million Neyland renovation ain't gonna mean SH$% if no one is showing up to the games. Use a fraction of that money, pay off all of our coaches past and present, and lets start offering some real money. 4 to 5 million a year is chump change at this point. Think about Bama, prior to Saban they were not that good and had not been for awhile. Like us they had some bad coaching hires (Mike Price and the strip club come to mind) and the fans were losing interest. They offered Saban a mint to come and Saban turned the whole thing around. And honestly, look at the money Bama has made since hiring Saban. They have recouped their costs to hire him multiple times over.

This should be the model. But one of the moves Bama made is probably a sticking point...Saban insisted that it be done his way and that the boosters know their place and stay there...Specifically Bear Jr.

I also like your idea of raising the money to clear the buyouts off the books so real money can be spent on a real coach.

Reactions: kcvols1

Honestly I don't care if he did or not because he ain't here. It doesn't matter if Gruden, Belechick, Leach, Mullen or Urban wanted it.

It won't matter who wants it when we fire Pruitt. The ONLY thing that matters is .....wait for it....who we get. And how has that worked out for us the last 4 times in 10 fricking years???

Good points. IMO we have to hope Pruitt is the answer.

Reactions: Behr
I have been critical of Pruitt, but he is the head coach and I hope he remains so. I firmly believe Tennessee will be back, soon. Of course I have been waiting for eons so soon is relative.

Reactions: kcvols1
I don't see Fulmer and the UT BoT signing off on Leach.
Mike Leach has built 2 programs. He got WSU and TTU ranked top 10 and neither school was in a good position when he arrived. He'd have access to better athletes at Tennessee with its proximity to Georgia and Florida, and most SEC schools aren't built to stop that style of offense.(Bama in particular has had a weak secondary lately) You're probably right that a traditional school like UT wouldn't hire him, but I think he'd have potential.

Terrible analogy. Do you think every single HC walks into the same sitiation? Oh and your year 2 stuff? Lol. Saban has ruined it for every coach. Thats who you are using as the measuring stick right? So compare any HC that comes here to the GOAT? That seems completely fair.
Actually I don’t think anyone who has not made the secco by year two hasn’t done it ever since CPF, not just win. So yes, that’s a telling stat. If it’s all about playing for championships, then you know by year two. Just what the numbers say over the past twenty years in the sec. either win, or get fired. CJP has 10 games left to save his job. Less than 4 wins...not going to get it done.

To say no one wanted the job isn't entirely correct. Gary Patterson wanted the job but was told he was too much of a football coach. Whatever the hell that means. Mick Leach wanted the job but apparently nobody wanted Michael Leach. Greg Scaino wanted the job but no 1 wanted him. And that is the people that we know of.
A lot of people wanted Mike Leach. Fulmer didn't. Too big of an ego to hire somebody who might still a little the Limelight from him.

I can think of millions of reasons they will not fire JP. If fired without cause before his contract expires on Jan. 31, 2024, Pruitt would be owed 60 percent of the remaining balance. For example, for simplicity's sake, if Pruitt is fired on Feb. 1, 2020, after his second full season as head coach, Tennessee would owe him 60 percent of $15.2 million ($3.8 million over four years): $9.12 million.

Plus, they are still paying a huge debt to Lyle, the rest of his buyout.

Why do you care about the money? It's not like you are paying for it?

Am I correct that you are suggesting Pruitt should be retained for the life of his contract regardless of the result?

Actually I don’t think anyone who has not made the secco by year two hasn’t done it ever since CPF, not just win. So yes, that’s a telling stat. If it’s all about playing for championships, then you know by year two. Just what the numbers say over the past twenty years in the sec. either win, or get fired. CJP has 10 games left to save his job. Less than 4 wins...not going to get it done.
Wrong. He'll be here next year

I
Think about where coaching changes have put us in the past. Also, consider this.. CJP took a job that NOBODY wanted. So, how would you expect anyone to come on board after firing a coach after 14 games? All of this talk does nothing but help other teams recruiting against us. Yes, some of the people on here are helping alabama georgia and florida recruit against us. We knew going in that CJP had never been a head coach and with that mistakes would be made. He has only had one full recruiting class and look what that class is doing already.. Eric Reid Henry T, wanya Morris and darnell Wright are already making a difference... give the guy at least 3 years to get players in the program and start the development process before you start trying to fire...

We have had a really tough 12 years.. that isn't an overnight fix.. but I've seen huge improvement in this team. In 2008 crompton was bad.. 2009 crompton was bad until he started to pick up Cheney's offense.. then the georgia game happened... give these coaches a real chance to develop players before you start trying to fire them.

I want to win as bad as anyone, but we have a team of young players that need to be developed.. our previous coach didn't develop players.. give our current staff a chance to develop this class before trying to start over again...

I'm done with my rant... so let the naysaying start and Go Vols!
i just don’t understand a coach that keeps doing the same thing over and over and expect different results!!!!

Really. I like your posts a lot but year two is when you normally see improvement with good coaches. We have regressed. Heck, as I mentioned in another thread Mack Brown (a Tennessean btw) has already beat two ranked team in his FIRST year at UNC and does anyone think UNC is dramatically more talented player wise than we are. I am not a negaVol, I want Tennessee to win, I still hope somehow Pruitt and this staff finds a way but to not hold them accountable for the failures is either naive or uninformed.
But, but, but we won't be able to recruit players the like of mighty North Carolina unless we give JP ten years...North Carolina went 3-9 in 2017 and 2-9 in 2018, and their last two recruiting classes were ranked #20 and #29, but all of their players are NFL starters compared to ours and Mack Brown just got lucky. The fact they're winning has nothing at all to do with the fact that he's an experienced head coach with a natty under his belt. Pure coincidence.

How much longer to you think he would get at any other SEC school?
Shh, stop with all that logic and common sense! All the other SEC schools want us to keep keeping bad coaches just as badly as the pumpers and the paid posters do.

VN Store

Back