For those who want a coaching change

He didn’t want the job? Pretty if he hadn’t wanted the job that he wouldn’t have taken the job.
You get offered X amount of millions a year to coach with a multi million dollar pay out if you sh!t the bed after 2 to 3 years and you werent actually looking for a HC job??. You take that..always. He has millions of reasons to not care at all about the program or which way it goes. He can always go back to making beacoup bucks as an assistant where he actually is proven.

Not very good but throwing a hissy fit and then throwing millions of dollars to pay off this coach and get basically the same thing at about the same price is what got us here to begin with. It's that finger in the light socket that many like you never really got even after trying it 4 or 5 times.

You didn't answer my question. You tried real hard on that condescension though.

Are you good giving him a 3rd year if he goes 2-10 in year 2? You either are okay with it or you aren't. Try to avoid indirect answers with direct ad hominem. Either do both or neither.

Reactions: Doberman
You'd think...until you looked his NFL record. And I'd say the Cincinnati coach toughed it out and gave it his best shot here even if he was a doofus. He did have the only two 9 win seasons we've had since Fulmer.
I agree he was just in over his head. Most of us and some coaches as well have know idea of what all is involved being a coach. As far as Kiffin I was just saying people in general knew who he was and he did bring his dad who really didn't do anything spectacular. Not all NFL coaches make it in the college ranks and vice versa.....Saban.

I agree he was just in over his head. Most of us and some coaches as well have know idea of what all is involved being a coach. As far as Kiffin I was just saying people in general knew who he was and he did bring his dad who really didn't do anything spectacular. Not all NFL coaches make it in the college ranks and vice versa.....Saban.

Ditto. Some coaches are better suited for mid-majors. Butch would have had a long sustained and more successful career at Cincy. Dooley, more suited as an OC.

You didn't answer my question. You tried real hard on that condescension though.

Are you good giving him a 3rd year if he goes 2-10 in year 2? You either are okay with it or you aren't. Try to avoid indirect answers with direct ad hominem. Either do both or neither.

Yes and if he gets the the talent level up from what he had to work with maybe we see a turn around. Then at that point he only has 2 years left on his contract you have better talent and maybe it is more appealing to someone better or you keep him and go forward and not owe him x amount of millions plus the cost of a new coach. Don't forget that if he goes so does his assistants and they have buy outs as well and I have no idea what that is.
Losing is not acceptable that we agree on but my point is we will never get ahead doing the same thing we have been doing. Why would anybody want to come to a job that basically gives you one season to go from where we are to at a minimum being in the SEC championship or get fired. Not very appealing......even for an old toad.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Want to answer the question?

Year three turns out to be a 5-6, 6-6 season. Are you ready to give him an extension? I ask because if he isn't extended after season 3 recruiting will suffer since there is nothing to show the recruits he will be there during their 4 years.
Cross that bridge when it comes up. Recycling a new staff in here at the end of the season does nothing.

He signed a six yr deal. He needs at least 4/5 to see what happens. JMO.

Yes and if he gets the the talent level up from what he had to work with maybe we see a turn around. Then at that point he only has 2 years left on his contract you have better talent and maybe it is more appealing to someone better or you keep him and go forward and not owe him x amount of millions plus the cost of a new coach. Don't forget that if he goes so does his assistants and they have buy outs as well and I have no idea what that is.
Losing is not acceptable that we agree on but my point is we will never get ahead doing the same thing we have been doing. Why would anybody want to come to a job that basically gives you one season to go from where we are to at a minimum being in the SEC championship or get fired. Not very appealing......even for an old toad.

We are talking about loses to Georgia State and BYU, not Georgia and Alabama.

Talent had nothing to do with these loses

Cross that bridge when it comes up. Recycling a new staff in here at the end of the season does nothing.

He signed a six yr deal. He needs at least 4/5 to see what happens. JMO.

You can't "cross that bridge when it comes up", you have to plan for the future when you are running a business. A decision MUST be made at the conclusion of season 3 because you have to extend him at least 1 more year or risk hurting recruiting.

Mike Leach would have absolutely taken the Tennessee job.

I mean... you're privy to google and an article with a direct quote from Leach himself.

Maybe. But Leach would have only had 1-2 years right? I know many want to believe he would have us better than we are now but he is nit a sure fire cant miss coach. If he was, he would have been at a big time program already.

So thats one coach. I would be willing to bet more were interviewed. How many and exacwho is uncertain. But fans need to stop believing the myth that money gets whatever you want and that TN could easily land a proven winner. Its just not that simple.

You can't "cross that bridge when it comes up", you have to plan for the future when you are running a business. A decision MUST be made at the conclusion of season 3 because you have to extend him at least 1 more year or risk hurting recruiting.

Completely agree with you hog. If we dont see improvement nect year, then its probably time to start looking for a new one.

Maybe I'm missing something...But why does he need an extension after year 3 of a 6 year deal?

Think about where coaching changes have put us in the past. Also, consider this.. CJP took a job that NOBODY wanted. So, how would you expect anyone to come on board after firing a coach after 14 games? All of this talk does nothing but help other teams recruiting against us. Yes, some of the people on here are helping alabama georgia and florida recruit against us. We knew going in that CJP had never been a head coach and with that mistakes would be made. He has only had one full recruiting class and look what that class is doing already.. Eric Reid Henry T, wanya Morris and darnell Wright are already making a difference... give the guy at least 3 years to get players in the program and start the development process before you start trying to fire...

We have had a really tough 12 years.. that isn't an overnight fix.. but I've seen huge improvement in this team. In 2008 crompton was bad.. 2009 crompton was bad until he started to pick up Cheney's offense.. then the georgia game happened... give these coaches a real chance to develop players before you start trying to fire them.

I want to win as bad as anyone, but we have a team of young players that need to be developed.. our previous coach didn't develop players.. give our current staff a chance to develop this class before trying to start over again...

I'm done with my rant... so let the naysaying start and Go Vols!
I love it when adults use this site

4-5 years? Neyland is going to be a ghost town already Saturday...noon kick-off, 125° temp, embarrassing start to the season. I'm not saying change today, but the program won't survive 4-5 years waiting to be competitive.

Maybe I'm missing something...But why does he need an extension after year 3 of a 6 year deal?

Players want to know that the coach they are going to sign with for will be around for their 4 years of college. Why else do you think coaches get extensions instead of just raises?

Think about where coaching changes have put us in the past. Also, consider this.. CJP took a job that NOBODY wanted. So, how would you expect anyone to come on board after firing a coach after 14 games? All of this talk does nothing but help other teams recruiting against us. Yes, some of the people on here are helping alabama georgia and florida recruit against us. We knew going in that CJP had never been a head coach and with that mistakes would be made. He has only had one full recruiting class and look what that class is doing already.. Eric Reid Henry T, wanya Morris and darnell Wright are already making a difference... give the guy at least 3 years to get players in the program and start the development process before you start trying to fire...

We have had a really tough 12 years.. that isn't an overnight fix.. but I've seen huge improvement in this team. In 2008 crompton was bad.. 2009 crompton was bad until he started to pick up Cheney's offense.. then the georgia game happened... give these coaches a real chance to develop players before you start trying to fire them.

I want to win as bad as anyone, but we have a team of young players that need to be developed.. our previous coach didn't develop players.. give our current staff a chance to develop this class before trying to start over again...

I'm done with my rant... so let the naysaying start and Go Vols!
Mike Leach wanted the job. The guy built up TTU and WSU, which is impressive. Could only imagine the type of talent at WR and QB he could get at an SEC program that's close to Georgia and the Carolinas.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
Disagree. Players want to know the coach there gives them the best chance to make $ the soonest.

That also but when all things are considered the best players aren't signing with a coach that doesn't have at least 4 years on his contract.

Mike Leach wanted the job. The guy built up TTU and WSU, which is impressive. Could only imagine the type of talent at WR and QB he could get at an SEC program that's close to Georgia and the Carolinas.

I don't see Fulmer and the UT BoT signing off on Leach.

Players want to know that the coach they are going to sign with for will be around for their 4 years of college. Why else do you think coaches get extensions instead of just raises?

And if he's fired after this year or next, he wouldn't have lasted 4 yrs. So what?

VN Store

Back