For those who care about his opinion, Coach Mathews show.

Recruiting talk now.
Need more than 3 def linemen in this class. At least one stud.
Need a “special” QB like Tee Martin or Heath Shuler (says another Peyton Would be too much to wish for). He didn’t mention Bailey.....hmmmm.
Need a special WR like Peerless Price.
Need an Al Wilson type LB.

I hope our strong finish helps us convince another stud DL to sign with us....
I'd take another Heath Shuler...

We already have an Al Wilson type of LB in Henry T....
I think we have speed in #80, #85, and Palmer....but we need elite Peerless Price type of speed.

I hope our strong finish helps us convince another stud DL to sign with us....
I'd take another Heath Shuler...

We already have an Al Wilson type of LB in Henry T....actually from what I've seen of him as a Freshman--Henry T may end up being better than Al.
I think we have speed in #80, #85, and Palmer....but we need elite Peerless Price type of speed.

Really? How so...

Unsettled QB situation. Nice turnaround by Guarantano but he isn't great and don't really see him elevating further at this point. Not sure Bailey is a day 1 starter.

Replacing Jennings and Calloway and Woods-Anderson will affect the passing game.

D Line replacing Taylor.

Don't think anyone on the roster can fill Bitulis shoes.

If Smith decides to take a shot at the NFL, that's a big hole in the O line.

Nice break out game from Gray but it was Vanderbilt. Can he do that next season consistently? Or do we muddle along with 3 RBs who really don't have game changing abilities as we saw most of the season.

Overall depth still needs drastic improvement based on the number of scholarship players that has been posted on in here as well.

Reactions: 08Vol
Unsettled QB situation. Nice turnaround by Guarantano but he isn't great and don't really see him elevating further at this point. Not sure Bailey is a day 1 starter.

Replacing Jennings and Calloway and Woods-Anderson will affect the passing game.

D Line replacing Taylor.

Don't think anyone on the roster can fill Bitulis shoes.

If Smith decides to take a shot at the NFL, that's a big hole in the O line.

Nice break out game from Gray but it was Vanderbilt. Can he do that next season consistently? Or do we muddle along with 3 RBs who really don't have game changing abilities as we saw most of the season.

Overall depth still needs drastic improvement based on the number of scholarship players that has been posted on in here as well.
So why would you expect true Fr to fill those holes?

So why would you expect true Fr to fill those holes?

Why would you NOT expect a few blue chip freshmen recruits to step in and contribute immediately on a team lacking depth and replacing key contributors?

We saw Gray step up last night as a true freshman.

Thompson was FWAA Freshman All American last season.

To'oto'o has been a high point this season.

We need more of this type of player next year.

See my post above. Laser timed 4.31 WR was the fastest man at the east regional "Opening" which is the most elite camp. We really need 1 or 2 more WR this cycle though.

I remember seeing CJP in a presser a couple months ago when asked about how great Jennings and Callaway are...he said " they are great but they are seniors. If you're a great WR out there seeing this, come to Tennessee...you can play right away."

We need some baller kids that can take snaps from day 1. Palmer will be no1...our now thru 4 slots are wide open. Brandon Johnson will be given every opportunity to stand out...Ramel Keyton will be a redshirt freshman I believe...hopefully he can also step up and the new burner is a factor from day 1....

Well we have good news. The owner of Devil Dogs had been to 290 games in a row. I, for one, hope he makes it to many, many more. I myself have been to 1 game in a row. BTW, last year during UTEP weather delay they announced we should go to TBA. Last night they just said leave the stadium and find safe shelter. We all know all the buildings are locked, except 3, because of terrorist. I guess we should go to our cars?

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
Well we have good news. The owner of Devil Dogs had been to 290 games in a row. I, for one, hope he makes it to many, many more. I myself have been to 1 game in a row. BTW, last year during UTEP weather delay they announced we should go to TBA. Last night they just said leave the stadium and find safe shelter. We all know all the buildings are locked, except 3, because of terrorist. I guess we should go to our car

Last edited:
Recruiting talk now.
Need more than 3 def linemen in this class. At least one stud.
Need a “special” QB like Tee Martin or Heath Shuler (says another Peyton Would be too much to wish for). He didn’t mention Bailey.....hmmmm.
Need a special WR like Peerless Price.
Need an Al Wilson type LB.
Program in pretty good shape overall.
Next step is getting elite players in some places.
Again talking needing a QB.
Has not mentioned any names which is typical of him. He rarely bashes players he doesn’t think are performing. But, reading between the lines, I don’t think he’s wild about Harrison Bailey.
Says Chaney is huge get and Ansley dies well under a Pruitt’s guidance.
Says Tee has been good addition.
Says he “doesn’t know” how well Weinke and Friend did this year...hmmm.
We are an 8-4 football program right now. (Actually, 7-5,but he’s talking metaphorically, I guess).
I just listened.. He doesn't mention any recruits by name.. He didn't make any sort of reference about Harrison Bailey. He basically named off all the good/great UT qbs and said we need one like them to compete, a special quarterback is the term he used, he even mentioned Casey Clausen.. There is nothing he said to "read between the lines" on Harrison Bailey, and to be honest.. HB fits what he said if anything... He mentioned the current QBs of other programs that are successful.. Not sure why you are suggesting this because I didn't hear that at all. JMO

Doubtful that Bailey will honor his commitment. He has undoubtedly seen what we have all seen, i.e. two better quarterbacks sitting on the bench behind the teacher's pet.

Why would he come here and deal with that?

Because he's a scrub.
You really think the guy that made Kyle Orton into an NFL player and developed Drew Brees would not demand to start a better qb if there was one?

I hope BM is the player everyone thinks he is, but right now he's the most legendary 2 TD 5INT quarterback in UT history.

I think the better answer is that JG didn't live up to his HS ranking and that BM and Shrout are every bit the "projects" that led to them getting offers from App St., Charlotte, etc.
We likely do not have an SEC level QB on this roster.

Good grief, the Oline definitely didn’t take a step back. They were blowing guys back into the second level and cutting off the backside like a thing of beauty. Those were huge holes on those long runs.

For those of yall worried to death about WR next year...there will be some fall off, but Palmer and Johnson will be back. Plus the freshman from this year Keyton, and our committ coming in was just crowned the "fastest man at the Opening " when he was laser timed at 4.31 in his 40yd dash...palmer will be great as our posession receiver. Hopefully one of the younger kids can stretch the field with their speed and keep those safeties from stacking the box against the run every snap.

Our biggest problem next year will be our schedule, not WR...we will do great to go 8 and 4 with this schedule. Now 2021...we should be looking to challenge for the east with 2 of the best OT in the country and 2 of the best LB in Tootoo and Crouch...

Go Vols!!! We are finally coming out of this hole!!!!

It's been said Gibbs is a star in waiting at WR.

Why would you NOT expect a few blue chip freshmen recruits to step in and contribute immediately on a team lacking depth and replacing key contributors?

We saw Gray step up last night as a true freshman.

Thompson was FWAA Freshman All American last season.

To'oto'o has been a high point this season.

We need more of this type of player next year.
The better your roster gets, the less you rely on true Fr to fill needs.

Bituli/ILB: Henry T. as a Soph with an offseason of S&C. Banks will likely be back, JJ is developing, Crouch may end up inside, plus the Whitehaven trio.

Taylor/OLB: Kivon Bennett, Roman Harrison, Crouch, and ??? Deandre Johnson and Jordan Allen will be depth guys IMO.

Warrior/S: McCullough has been taking snaps from Theo Jackson. Flowers was ahead of both. Those 3 plus a Fr might get in the mix.

DWA/TE: Not much production lost. The two guys RSing will hopefully step up.

WR: No true Fr could be expected to replace JJ and Callaway. But we’ll have two Seniors, Palmer and Johnson, plus Gibbs which is a pretty damn good trio. With Keyton and the other young guys in the rotation I don’t think WR will be what limits the team.

OL: Lose Trey but we can better fill a spot at OG than OT. Our OL will be a more consistent unit next year, filled with lots of experienced upperclassmen plus our young studs at OT. This unit will finally not be forced to rely on Fr to come in and start.

RB, CB, QB, DL: Most likely return all of two deep.

At QB we have a top prospect coming in. IMO it’s unlikely he can beat out the 3 guys ahead of him but if he does that’s a good sign for his future. Regardless of who the starter is I expect the unit to be improved as a whole over this season. Another year with Chaney should benefit everyone.

All things considered, it would be nice to sign an elite OLB/ pass rusher who could immediately contribute but we really don’t need any Fr to come in and start.

I don't get why he still constantly throws behind his receivers.
He holds the ball waaaayyy too long. If he’d throw it as soon as he makes his decision, it would help his game. But then again, I think it’s too late.

Reactions: 08Vol
Doubtful that Bailey will honor his commitment. He has undoubtedly seen what we have all seen, i.e. two better quarterbacks sitting on the bench behind the teacher's pet.

Why would he come here and deal with that?

Because he's a scrub.
Bailey is committed . He is not going to call the kid out as the savior because no one knows jack till they get to college and prove it. And that's the bottom line.

The better your roster gets, the less you rely on true Fr to fill needs.

Bituli/ILB: Henry T. as a Soph with an offseason of S&C. Banks will likely be back, JJ is developing, Crouch may end up inside, plus the Whitehaven trio.

Taylor/OLB: Kivon Bennett, Roman Harrison, Crouch, and ??? Deandre Johnson and Jordan Allen will be depth guys IMO.

Warrior/S: McCullough has been taking snaps from Theo Jackson. Flowers was ahead of both. Those 3 plus a Fr might get in the mix.

DWA/TE: Not much production lost. The two guys RSing will hopefully step up.

WR: No true Fr could be expected to replace JJ and Callaway. But we’ll have two Seniors, Palmer and Johnson, plus Gibbs which is a pretty damn good trio. With Keyton and the other young guys in the rotation I don’t think WR will be what limits the team.

OL: Lose Trey but we can better fill a spot at OG than OT. Our OL will be a more consistent unit next year, filled with lots of experienced upperclassmen plus our young studs at OT. This unit will finally not be forced to rely on Fr to come in and start.

RB, CB, QB, DL: Most likely return all of two deep.

At QB we have a top prospect coming in. IMO it’s unlikely he can beat out the 3 guys ahead of him but if he does that’s a good sign for his future. Regardless of who the starter is I expect the unit to be improved as a whole over this season. Another year with Chaney should benefit everyone.

All things considered, it would be nice to sign an elite OLB/ pass rusher who could immediately contribute but we really don’t need any Fr to come in and start.
I think Trey comes back. Everything else seems legit to me.

Maurer is twice the qb that JG is. Easily.
Not based on any statistical information or coaches opinion. Do you think if Chaney thought he gave us a better chance of winning he would not have him in there. JG is not the perfect QB but at this point he gives us the best chance to win.

Reactions: volKano

VN Store

Back