ramon foster 3*
anthony parker 3*
antonio reynolds 3*
arian foster 3*

josh briscoe 3*
marsalous johnson 3*
ricardo kemp 3*
austin rogers 3*
antonio wardlow 3* (and now on the cover of si)

quentin hancock 3* (the next great tennessee wr, imo)
dorian davis 2*
chase nelson 3*

Any of these guys sound familiar? you don't need stars to be a contributor. 4 and 5 star prospects are more likely to bust, as well.

of all these guys you listed I still dont see one bust out superstar, no one has ever doubted that a one star guy can contribute, it's just that on the whole your superstar talent is usually spotted early on and identified through the star system, of course it's not perfect...what is

replace "bust" with "disappointment"

i would consider jason hall and inky johnson (off the top of my head) to be big time contributors.

it's just funny to see people get their panties in a wad over how many stars we accumulate...

let's face reality, do you really want 25 commits that are 2 and 3 stars? I'll take my chances with a roster of 4 and 5 star players

let's face reality, do you really want 25 commits that are 2 and 3 stars? I'll take my chances with a roster of 4 and 5 star players
This is true as well. If you go to Rivals and look at the top rated players from past years, 75% have had decent careers.

jason hall 2*
marvin mitchell 3*
antwan stewart 3*

britton colquitt 3*
brad cottam 3*
antonio gaines 2*
jonathan hefney 3*
jarod parrish 3*
roshaun fellows 3*
tony mcdaniel 3*

chris brown 2*
inky johnson 2*
ramon foster 3*
anthony parker 3*
antonio reynolds 3*
arian foster 3*

josh briscoe 3*
marsalous johnson 3*
ricardo kemp 3*
austin rogers 3*
antonio wardlow 3* (and now on the cover of si)

quentin hancock 3* (the next great tennessee wr, imo)
dorian davis 2*
chase nelson 3*

Any of these guys sound familiar? you don't need stars to be a contributor. 4 and 5 star prospects are more likely to bust, as well.

Your post makes a good point that 2 and 3 star guys can be quality players. I don't disagree with that point.

But think about the studs. I don't have a rivals account, so I would be delighted if someone could list me the number of stars associated with the following players:
cosey coleman
raynoch thompson
leonard little
peyton manning
al wilson
deon grant
jason witten
peerless price
donte stallworth
kellye washington
travis henry
travis stephens
kevin simon
kevin burnett
albert haynesworth
john henderson
casey clausen
jesse mahelona
michael munoz
robert meachem

I would venture to guess that most of this group falls into the 4 or 5 star category.

Is this assumption true?

And, if so, then isn't it generally better to get the 4-5 star guys?

All I'm saying is that we should keep the expectations high. I want to see another top 5 recruiting class this year.

hmm...

Robert Meachem 5*
Aaron Sears 4*
Jason Swain 4*
Bret Smith 4*
Eric Ainge 4*
Jerod Mayo 4*
Xavier Mitchell 4*
Lamarcus Coker 4*
Rico McCoy 4*
Demetrice Morely 5*

but you're probably right. I'm sure the Vols would be better off without these "busts". Maybe you should quit watching 'Rudy' so much.

hmm...

Robert Meachem 5*
Aaron Sears 4*
Jason Swain 4*
Bret Smith 4*
Eric Ainge 4*
Jerod Mayo 4*
Xavier Mitchell 4*
Lamarcus Coker 4*
Rico McCoy 4*
Demetrice Morely 5*

but you're probably right. I'm sure the Vols would be better off without these "busts". Maybe you should quit watching 'Rudy' so much.

was that comment directed to me? read my post, friend, i'm on your side.

man, Hillbilly, I couldnt agree more, I think what happens is people want us to be good so badly that they try to justify what was a down year in recruiting (and everything else) last year and what started that way this year. Let's call a spade a spade, we took some guys early on this year before we really started winning because we were in panic mode, now we're saddled with a list of 3* guys who may be servicable, but wont have a street in knoxville named after them when it's all said and done

man, Hillbilly, I couldnt agree more, I think what happens is people want us to be good so badly that they try to justify what was a down year in recruiting (and everything else) last year and what started that way this year. Let's call a spade a spade, we took some guys early on this year before we really started winning because we were in panic mode, now we're saddled with a list of 3* guys who may be servicable, but wont have a street in knoxville named after them when it's all said and done

who are some of these guys that we are saddled with? if you could give me some names with some stars beside it, i would appreciate it.

also, if we end up landing a bunch of studs that were borderline, is it possible to respectfully invite the "serviceable" guys to transfer to another school?

When was the last time UT got only 2 or 3 star players? When was the last time UT got only 4 or 5 star players. I guess my point is, sure you would prefer to see only the elite but if you are doing your homework then you do take these 2 & 3 star guys betting they will develope because you see potential while watching the game film. The discussion about star rankings changing by the end of the year should be reason enough to wait to see what the class will be ranked.

When was the last time UT got only 2 or 3 star players? When was the last time UT got only 4 or 5 star players. I guess my point is, sure you would prefer to see only the elite but if you are doing your homework then you do take these 2 & 3 star guys betting they will develope because you see potential while watching the game film. The discussion about star rankings changing by the end of the year should be reason enough to wait to see what the class will be ranked.

that didn't really answer my question.

anybody else wanna give it a shot?

VN Store

Back