For SEC first guys, will you be rooting for UGA over Notre Dame and will it help us with recruits?

Yes, living in Warner Robins area (shout out to Calloway), I am sick of Jawja, so I will be pulling for ND. Won't matter though, GA is headed to playoffs. even if they lose SEC Championship, again .

I generally pull for SEC teams in bowl games and other games.....But there are 2 or 3 teams I cannot lower myself to pull for no matter who they play. Just being honest. In regards to the East this year, I think all those teams are going to be trying to catch or beat the Bulldogs on an off day.

I'll take LSU, Texas A&M this weekend and the dawgs in a few weeks. And yes, I was one of the guys who said the barners would best Oregon.

I generally pull for SEC teams in bowl games and other games.....But there are 2 or 3 teams I cannot lower myself to pull for no matter who they play. Just being honest. In regards to the East this year, I think all those teams are going to be trying to catch or beat the Bulldogs on an off day.
I don't understand why people pull for other SEC teams in this day and age. At one time that before you had all these television contracts and such I could understand because it brought more Revenue to the conference. The way I see it now it's when you pull for other SEC teams you're pulling for the very schools that are recruiting against us. With our program being down like it is we don't need Georgia or Alabama or Florida having any more success than they already are because that only hurts us in recruiting. So I do not pull for other SEC teams. It's almost like Death By A Thousand Cuts

Reactions: 08Vol and Bigun
I don't understand why people pull for other SEC teams in this day and age. At one time that before you had all these television contracts and such I could understand because it brought more Revenue to the conference. The way I see it now it's when you pull for other SEC teams you're pulling for the very schools that are recruiting against us. With our program being down like it is we don't need Georgia or Alabama or Florida having any more success than they already are because that only hurts us in recruiting. So I do not pull for other SEC teams. It's almost like Death By A Thousand Cuts
That's the mentality we all have now, because the program sucks. Assuming that you are in a position to take advantage of it, I still think it is to your advantage to have your conference "look good," particularly when playing non-conference teams.

As an example, I don't know if it is in Clemson's long-term interest to have the rest of the ACC be as bad as it is. It doesn't matter a whole lot today because they decimated Alabama last year in a title game, but imagine a point in the future where they get into the CFP but get bounced. If that happens more than once, and they aren't playing a particularly strong conference schedule, that could eventually become a deciding factor for them in whether or not they get playoff spots. I honestly think it is in their interest to have at least one other good program in the ACC.

I think the Pac 12 is already in a position where their one-loss conference champ would not get in the CFP. By contrast, in the SEC, a one-loss conference champ is getting in with no debate; hell, the SEC has already had 2 teams get in the CFP without even winning the SEC. Conference reputation and SoS has everything to do with that. There are 4 CFP teams and 5 P5 conferences. Someone's conference champ, or the best team in one of the conferences, is getting left out.

As an example, I don't know if it is in Clemson's long-term interest to have the rest of the ACC be as bad as it is. It doesn't matter a whole lot today because they decimated Alabama last year in a title game, but imagine a point in the future where they get into the CFP but get bounced. If that happens more than once, and they aren't playing a particularly strong conference schedule, that could eventually become a deciding factor for them in whether or not they get playoff spots. I honestly think it is in their interest to have at least one other good program in the ACC.

It's a black eye. And most all of Clemson's accomplishments will be qualified that way. Dabo may not say it, but he wishes the FSUs and Miamis of the ACC had some life in them.

The so-called experts were quantifying the percentages of Oregon getting to the playoffs after the barner loss. Pretty much zero. The Pac 12 is going to be a prove-it conference as well to the committee and frankly, most so-called experts, believe the Ducks just lost to the 5th or 6th best team in the SEC. Something Clemson will have to live with if Texas A&M get them.

Reactions: 05_never_again
I have never uttered these words, but Go Irish!

Reactions: Bigun
The so-called experts were quantifying the percentages of Oregon getting to the playoffs after the barner loss. Pretty much zero. The Pac 12 is going to be a prove-it conference as well to the committee and frankly, most so-called experts, believe the Ducks just lost to the 5th or 6th best team in the SEC. Something Clemson will have to live with if Texas A&M get them.
That's a great point. If Clemson loses to A&M, they better hope A&M wins the West (or loses it on a tiebreaker) because they don't play anybody else. When you play in a weaker conference, it's easier, but there's less room for error. Would you rather play in a weak conference with little (or no) room for error or play in a stronger one with more room for error? I know which one I'd pick, because anybody can have an off game on any given Saturday.

I don't think Clemson's accomplishments will be qualified...yet. I think it only becomes a qualifier if Clemson, at some point in the future, gets into the semifinal or final and gets reamed, a la Notre Dame. If that occurs, people will start to view them as a pretender and perhaps winning the ACC won't be enough to get them in in future years. Their conference is weak so when they get their opportunity, they better show up. They do need at least some kind of token competition, particularly in their own division. Cuse has been great (by their standards) the last couple years but they don't really have the name recognition to truly be considered good competition. FSU is the only other school in that division that could challenge Clemson over a longer period of time, and if it wasn't for Tennessee they might be the biggest mess in CFB right now.

I don't think Clemson's accomplishments will be qualified...yet. I think it only becomes a qualifier if Clemson, at some point in the future, gets into the semifinal or final and gets reamed, a la Notre Dame. If that occurs, people will start to view them as a pretender and perhaps winning the ACC won't be enough to get them in in future years. Their conference is weak so when they get their opportunity, they better show up. They do need at least some kind of token competition, particularly in their own division. Cuse has been great (by their standards) the last couple years but they don't really have the name recognition to truly be considered good competition. FSU is the only other school in that division that could challenge Clemson over a longer period of time, and if it wasn't for Tennessee they might be the biggest mess in CFB right now.

It's true Clemson isn't Oregon in the eyes of the playoff committee. Past success and being the defending NC has pretty much ensured Clemson a one-loss mulligan. Even in a depleted ACC. But a loss to the aggies and Dabo is going to have his hands full this season keeping his team up every week against these middle of the road teams. And from a human perspective, it's so easy to let entitlement creep in after a NC. A few rivals that scare your team straight during the season can be good for that type of complacency and frankly makes you improve as a team.

I think the SEC schedule has always been a big advantage for any team that survives it.

I wouldn't pull for ND if they were playing the Taliban. Screw the irish !!!

That's a great point. If Clemson loses to A&M, they better hope A&M wins the West (or loses it on a tiebreaker) because they don't play anybody else. When you play in a weaker conference, it's easier, but there's less room for error. Would you rather play in a weak conference with little (or no) room for error or play in a stronger one with more room for error? I know which one I'd pick, because anybody can have an off game on any given Saturday.

Texas A&M will surprise a lot of people by beating Clemson in Death Valley and finish the 2019 season 10-2.

Last edited:
We can’t even beat Georgia ST right now I don’t think it matters much

Last edited:

VN Store

Back