For New/Infrequent Posters – The Rules Thread

Updated on the 1st post as well

*Read Rule #1, you will be banned from the Game Thread if you bash a player, NO EXCEPTIONS

________________________________________________________________________________________________

I debated on even reaching out to Freak about this subject however we have a lot of new folks joining us on the Baseball Forums....and Freak gave me his blessing to post this, so here it goes.

I'll keep it short. The Baseball Forum on the Volnation board has been known as the civilized bunch. We intend for the spirit of that to remain intact. The Baseball Forum is known for the game threads and nuances into the game that many of us do not understand completely as well as many poster’s love for not only Tennessee Baseball but in College Baseball in general.

Over the years, this forum has needed very little moderation, it’s moderated much differently than some other forums because of the above.....

I’d like to lay out some general guidelines:
1. We aren't going to bash the kids or coaches. This is not debatable. It is a zero-tolerance policy. This is your warning.

2. A healthy debate about baseball decisions is welcomed. We don't mind you questioning a call or a decision but give an educated and reasonable explanation as to why you feel as you do. A healthy debate is a good thing, all opinions are welcomed, flat out bashing someone for their opinion is not being tolerated.

3. Keep it Civil, no explanation needed here.

Also, a great post from @1RBFjr a few weeks ago:

This is my overall philosophy:

1. It’s a game.

2. They’re college students.

3. No one has asked me to coach at this level.

4. I’m in the stands or watching at home hoping for the best, knowing there’s no way as a player I could even come close to making that basket, making that throw, making that hit, etc.

5. I’m watching for fun, and time with family and friends.

EDIT:
Also, please refrain from POLITICAL post or references, even if you’re making a joke. I’m the first one to throw a politician under the bus but I don't do it in the Baseball Forum as it does nothing but piss off someone else that may have different views……….

OT

Updated on the 1st post as well

*Read Rule #1, you will be banned from the Game Thread if you bash a player, NO EXCEPTIONS

________________________________________________________________________________________________

I debated on even reaching out to Freak about this subject however we have a lot of new folks joining us on the Baseball Forums....and Freak gave me his blessing to post this, so here it goes.

I'll keep it short. The Baseball Forum on the Volnation board has been known as the civilized bunch. We intend for the spirit of that to remain intact. The Baseball Forum is known for the game threads and nuances into the game that many of us do not understand completely as well as many poster’s love for not only Tennessee Baseball but in College Baseball in general.

Over the years, this forum has needed very little moderation, it’s moderated much differently than some other forums because of the above.....

I’d like to lay out some general guidelines:
1. We aren't going to bash the kids or coaches. This is not debatable. It is a zero-tolerance policy. This is your warning.

2. A healthy debate about baseball decisions is welcomed. We don't mind you questioning a call or a decision but give an educated and reasonable explanation as to why you feel as you do. A healthy debate is a good thing, all opinions are welcomed, flat out bashing someone for their opinion is not being tolerated.

3. Keep it Civil, no explanation needed here.

Also, a great post from @1RBFjr a few weeks ago:

This is my overall philosophy:

1. It’s a game.

2. They’re college students.

3. No one has asked me to coach at this level.

4. I’m in the stands or watching at home hoping for the best, knowing there’s no way as a player I could even come close to making that basket, making that throw, making that hit, etc.

5. I’m watching for fun, and time with family and friends.

EDIT:
Also, please refrain from POLITICAL post or references, even if you’re making a joke. I’m the first one to throw a politician under the bus but I don't do it in the Baseball Forum as it does nothing but piss off someone else that may have different views……….

OT

Glad you kept it short. 😀

I’m trying my dangest to limit the personal attacks, I try and delete them ASAP but I’m not always on the forum during games. Also, if I don't get on for an inning or two, it’s difficult to go back and find them.

FREAK has the direct line on the Report Button, please use the report button and the questionable post goes directly to him……..

I’ve banned a few after repeated attacks but it like draining a sinking boat with a small bucket.

What surprises me, is we have regular posters attacking players too…..it‘s a shame if I have to ban them in the game thread, up to now I’ve taken the higher road and just deleted the posts but I may end up limiting the posts for some regulars, or docking Pick’em Points.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON!!!!

I’m trying my dangest to limit the personal attacks, I try and delete them ASAP but I’m not always on the forum during games. Also, if I don't get on for an inning or two, it’s difficult to go back and find them.

FREAK has the direct line on the Report Button, please use the report button and the questionable post goes directly to him……..

I’ve banned a few after repeated attacks but it like draining a sinking boat with a small bucket.

What surprises me, is we have regular posters attacking players too…..it‘s a shame if I have to ban them in the game thread, up to now I’ve taken the higher road and just deleted the posts but I may end up limiting the posts for some regulars, or docking Pick’em Points.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON!!!!

What is "attacking". You can't say " he really stinks today" " his curve ball is terrible" or " this player can't hit a fastball"

What is "attacking". You can't say " he really stinks today" " his curve ball is terrible" or " this player can't hit a fastball"

The best way I can answer this is if you had a son playing, what would piss you off?

Tough day, struggling today, gotta hustle on that play, thats a mental error, etc is critiquing and not bashing

Stuff like he sucks, he’s pitiful, doesn’t care, should’ve stayed a ______ school, deserves no NIL money, and other personal attacks are off limits.

I appreciate that the baseball forum is a place where I can be welcomed and still read during the week. I cannot imagine trying to keep it somewhat civil on here. Thanks. I just need to go back to not coming on here in game threads.
I’ve seen too many comments that said the game threads are no fun anymore, and they aren’t, which is a shame…..

I’ve seen too many comments that said the game threads are no fun anymore, and they aren’t, which is a shame…..
Agree. Game threads can be brutal. Unfortunately, many show up to post comments just to get a reaction. No substance to their posts, just want to garner a response. I try to just ignore those and not respond…just scroll on by. What’s the use.

Just as we can’t expect to see the same production on the field as last year, I think the same case can be applied to game threads, to a degree. Games are always more fun to watch and discuss when the team is winning.

I think of the baseball forum as a place where you can relax and kick back and have a cold beverage while watching the game with friends. Most any comments and critiques are allowed in here, just be respectful of the team and players we love when posting them. It’s not that difficult.

Just as we can’t expect to see the same production on the field as last year, I think the same case can be applied to game threads, to a degree. Games are always more fun to watch and discuss when the team is winning.

I think of the baseball forum as a place where you can relax and kick back and have a cold beverage while watching the game with friends. Most any comments and critiques are allowed in here, just be respectful of the team and players we love when posting them. It’s not that difficult.
Well said and I’m the first to admit that I’ve said a few choice words this year during games. But in the thread, I try and stay positive knowing that better days are sooner than later. I know how difficult it is to replace 8 position guys and get them to gel together. This may not be our year, not every year is going to be roses either, it’s sports and you just gotta support your team

Well said and I’m the first to admit that I’ve said a few choice words this year during games. But in the thread, I try and stay positive knowing that better days are sooner than later. I know how difficult it is to replace 8 position guys and get them to gel together. This may not be our year, not every year is going to be roses either, it’s sports and you just gotta support your team
8 Experienced Veterans with the ability to rise to the occasion when others were having a bad day.

I appreciate that the baseball forum is a place where I can be welcomed and still read during the week. I cannot imagine trying to keep it somewhat civil on here. Thanks. I just need to go back to not coming on here in game threads.
I avoided today after the “stuff” from yesterday. i just don’t see why anyone takes joy in demeaning college athletes. It must be a sad existence to live life this way.

I avoided today after the “stuff” from yesterday. i just don’t see why anyone takes joy in demeaning college athletes. It must be a sad existence to live life this way.
I avoided the game day thread as well on Sunday. I support the basevols win or lose and I feel like I know these kids more so than in any other sport thanks to Stache Talk. But you have these idiots show up only when they are struggling, that’s not fun and not how I want to spend my time while watching the games.

I avoided the game day thread as well on Sunday. I support the basevols win or lose and I feel like I know these kids more so than in any other sport thanks to Stache Talk. But you have these idiots show up only when they are struggling, that’s not fun and not how I want to spend my time while watching the games.

Agreed, game threads are losing the regulars left and right………maybe we need 2 game threads, 1 for folks who always wish the Vols well through thick and thin and another for negative drive-by comments only.

I know I am not an admin, but would you like to me post guidelines in the game threads?
Not going to help, trust me……..the best we can do is report trolls with the report button and monitor the best we can. Still, the baseball forum Game Thread is leaps and bounds better than other forums.

I just don't understand it. I've never consistently read game threads of any other teams I have followed but this and even last year is ridiculous. I do not see how anyone feels the need to go on a message board for their team, I understand if you are a troll from another team but that is rarely the case here, and trash their team's players and coaches. The only thing I can figure out is there are guys, like us, sitting at home watching the game who have no one to talk to or vent to and say on here what they would say to their buddy in private. I will admit that in private conversations with my other two sons I have expressed frustrations about certain plays. BUT I would never do it on social media and not just because I am a parent. I would not do it about my son's former HS team that I still go watch. Why would I take the time to do it for a team I supposedly pull for. And when you guys say this is the best of the boards it makes it harder to be a UT fan because I know I could not handle any worse than this. But that is what it was like from UT fans in person when we lived there. I could not understand how you could gripe and complain so much about a team you supported with your time and money. Guys would say I just have so much invested, but you choose to invest it so why not support it thick or thin. Maybe that is why marriages fail so often is because we as people are not willing to stay with someone good or bad, rich or poor, sick or healthy. Can I get an amen?;) Sorry. I started preaching.

I just don't understand it. I've never consistently read game threads of any other teams I have followed but this and even last year is ridiculous. I do not see how anyone feels the need to go on a message board for their team, I understand if you are a troll from another team but that is rarely the case here, and trash their team's players and coaches. The only thing I can figure out is there are guys, like us, sitting at home watching the game who have no one to talk to or vent to and say on here what they would say to their buddy in private. I will admit that in private conversations with my other two sons I have expressed frustrations about certain plays. BUT I would never do it on social media and not just because I am a parent. I would not do it about my son's former HS team that I still go watch. Why would I take the time to do it for a team I supposedly pull for. And when you guys say this is the best of the boards it makes it harder to be a UT fan because I know I could not handle any worse than this. But that is what it was like from UT fans in person when we lived there. I could not understand how you could gripe and complain so much about a team you supported with your time and money. Guys would say I just have so much invested, but you choose to invest it so why not support it thick or thin. Maybe that is why marriages fail so often is because we as people are not willing to stay with someone good or bad, rich or poor, sick or healthy. Can I get an amen?;) Sorry. I started preaching.
Preacherman, when I was younger I would get extremely upset at a Vol loss in any sport, to the point that it would ruin my whole week. As I’ve gotten older and have things that mean more to me(kids) I have become 1000x more chill.
I still get upset and frustrated but not to the extent I once did. Please don’t take my post the wrong way, I bleed orange and will until the day they put me in the ground and don’t think I don’t care anymore and don’t realize the blood, sweat and tears that these athletes put into sport AND school, because I do and I realize that they “want it” a whole lot more than I do and that’s one reason I don’t take it so personal any longer.
1, I’m more mature now(at least I like to think so, my wife’s opinion may differ)
2, I have other things to focus time and energy on(kids)
3, these essentially are kids, they just happen to be in grown men(and women) bodies a lot of times and I think people tend to forget that.
I’ve backed off from posting a lot because it gets old reading through the nonsense, and I don’t mean the W.T.OB and mad4vols kind of nonsense!😁

Amen! Preach on!

Reactions: VolPack22
Preacherman, when I was younger I would get extremely upset at a Vol loss in any sport, to the point that it would ruin my whole week. As I’ve gotten older and have things that mean more to me(kids) I have become 1000x more chill.
I still get upset and frustrated but not to the extent I once did. Please don’t take my post the wrong way, I bleed orange and will until the day they put me in the ground and don’t think I don’t care anymore and don’t realize the blood, sweat and tears that these athletes put into sport AND school, because I do and I realize that they “want it” a whole lot more than I do and that’s one reason I don’t take it so personal any longer.
1, I’m more mature now(at least I like to think so, my wife’s opinion may differ)
3, these essentially are kids, they just happen to be in grown men(and women) bodies a lot of times and I think people tend to forget that.
I’ve backed off from posting a lot because it gets old reading through the nonsense, and I don’t mean the W.T.OB and mad4vols kind of nonsense!😁
Nonsense and humor helps take the edge off of a rough season. It’s part of what fended off complacency and sharpened focus on last years team.

8F2D2AB4-5A10-4A9E-80D6-4B6EB56F8A33.jpeg

Nonsense and humor helps take the edge off of a rough season. It’s part of what fended off complacency and sharpened focus on last years team.
Agreed! I don’t want to scroll through the gameday thread and 3/4 posts are telling me that this team won’t make the postseason. We all know this team is struggling right now, we all can see it. I had reasonable expectations coming into this season though.
GBO!!

VN Store

Back