For everyone saying Heupel should not have...

Or we could have scored too, should have could have gotten both ways. Conservative play calling almost cost is the game. Play to win, not to lose.

I have been a fan of football for many years, and I have seen many more games lost by going conservative rather than continuing the same offense that got you the lead. I just hope a lesson is learned from this. I remember when Butch was here we had ok. beat and went conservative and lost. I like Hype and I think he is doing a great job and am all for him. I can see very much improvement on the Vols team. Take your foot off the gas against most sec teams and if they have the ball and a chance to win at the end, it will usually get you beat. I think if we should run the same offensive scheme we had run all night we would have scored again. In other words I had rather take my chances with our offense taking a chance than to put into the hands of our defense to pull out the win.

Last edited:
One positive…I think we can beat anyone if the other team makes 2+ turnovers than us. That includes Bama.

I think it was a mistake to not kick the field goal, if you miss you give them the ball basically where they got it anyway, if you make it the game is over, I think both options were better than punting but I think our kicker is pretty solid. I was upset with the clock management, why in the world in a situation like that do you nearly get a delay of game penalty when the dang game clock isnt even running?

Reactions: 90 Vol
And I forgot to include as a bullet...

I don't think I've ever seen more blatant holding by Florida, that wasn't called, on their last two drives. Maybe someone could find the play, but at one point one of their OL had our guy completed wrapped up from behind like he was giving him a big ole bear hug as he was trying to get to Richardson.
Or the horse collar tackles

taken the foot off the gas, if Hooker would have thrown a pic, or fumbled on a sack, most if not all of the same people would have been complaining that he should have stuck to the run on the last drive.

We won...

Florida got nearly every possible break this game...

We have arguably the best overall coaching staff we've had in 15 years...

Let them grow and learn... good times are ahead!
I don’t think it’s arguable.

Reactions: IBlvNTmWrk
taken the foot off the gas, if Hooker would have thrown a pic, or fumbled on a sack, most if not all of the same people would have been complaining that he should have stuck to the run on the last drive.

We won...

True. Still wish they’d change these trends towards the end of tight games…or in this case comfortably led. Happened last year also.

Reactions: Behr
Or we could have scored too, should have could have gotten both ways. Conservative play calling almost cost is the game. Play to win, not to lose.

Agree completely. Seen more games lost than saved, from doing that. Florida was one play away from winning. Always hate to see that, or "prevent" defense. Coaches change up, giving away momentum, and just quit, instead of playing the way that got the lead and kept it. Seen more games lost than saved, from doing that.

Gotta "dance with who brung us".

Agree completely. Seen more games lost than saved, from doing that. Florida was one play away from winning. Always hate to see that, or "prevent" defense. Coaches change up, giving away momentum, and just quit, instead of playing the way that got the lead and kept it. Seen more games lost than saved, from doing that.

Gotta "dance with who brung us".
Or, as we've called it since the Johnny Majors days, "prevent-a-win" defense.

We won...

When did he take his foot off? Maybe on our very last offensive play?

I thought Heupel got fairly aggressive on the 4th down short pass, but FL made a good defensive play.

Perhaps the only thing I would have changed is I would have had Hooker fake to Smalls and keep the ball on one of the runs. Florida was heavily keying in on Smalls as everyone new we were going to run the ball... Hooker could have gone for a good 10 - 20 yards!
Exactly why it was bad calls. We would struggle running up the middle against Akron or Ball st. O line is the weakest length. Every play should of been a wide open receiver, high percentage pass or him keeping it and using his legs. He’s a senior that threw three interceptions last year, your best offensive weapon, and by far greater chance of him running for a 1st down than small.
If you can’t trust in him then we’ve got problems.

Reactions: papatomany
I thought Heupel got fairly aggressive on the 4th down short pass, but FL made a good defensive play.

Perhaps the only thing I would have changed is I would have had Hooker fake to Smalls and keep the ball on one of the runs. Florida was heavily keying in on Smalls as everyone new we were going to run the ball... Hooker could have gone for a good 10 - 20 yards!

Running a play short of the sticks was aggressive?

I agree with the rest of your post.

Coach Heupel gets the big bucks to make decisions like this. He made a decision, and it paid off for our team. GBO. We can sit here and play all the "What if's" but when the clock FINALLY said 0...we won.
That said...I came away feeling like we "escaped with the Win", but it's still a HUGE "W" for our program.

It’s not so much about taking your foot off the gas. Heupel made a colossal mistake by not kicking that field goal late in the game. By not doing so, it gave Florida a path to win and almost pulled it off.

I cannot understand why he chose to go for it on 4th down TWICE rather than take the points with field goals. We left 6 points out there as a result.

Reactions: 90 Vol
What the hell are y’all talking about conservative playcalling? Tennessee went down the field on its final drive and failed on a 4th down attempt instead of settling for a FG.

I swear, some of y’all aren’t happy unless you’re bitching. Even if you have to make up something to bitch about.

Reactions: P.O.T.S. VOL
I saw that. I was looking for captain obvious but he never threw the flag. I remember the hands to the face that was called on us. In the replay it show the fla O lineman with his hand under the face mask of the Tenn player and we get the flag. Without friendly whistles a couple of those fla drives would have been over.

I noticed that too.

Good Grief, take the win! Would you have tried to score if you were really the coach and on the sidelines?
I'll take an ugly win over a pretty loss any day.
Bottom line is we won!

True. Still wish they’d change these trends towards the end of tight games…or in this case comfortably led. Happened last year also.
Me too. And especially with the gaters. I was so hoping we were going to finish with adding another 7 to that 17 point lead.

After it was clear we were just trying to run out the clock I convinced myself that wouldn't have happened if he had Tillman and Sampson to help out. Maybe not, maybe he'll change or maybe that's just who he is. I wish it had been a 24 point win, but I'll take the W. Can't say it wasn't exciting. I mean, if you were just an idle football fan, that was awesome. Of course I almost died twice.

At the end of the day whatever it is aint gonna get changed by what gets said here. I'm just glad we have some fans that can talk about it sensibly.

VN Store

Back