For all you think we may get 6 wins or less....

It's a 7 , 8 win team maybe. QB is the key. If JG takes a step forward we can get to that number, if not the rally cry will be wait til next year like always. DL is a concern. If it stinks to high heaven we'll be wanting the season to end as soon as possible.

They really aren't. And what they have is very very recent. They won it all in 2016 with just 4 5*s on the roster, fewer than ucla or a&m or lsu, and many others. This years class would be their first ever top 5 class. They only have like 1 or 2 top 10 classes, much like us. Furthermore, they really came from nothing. A bunch of top 25ish classes in dabo's early years. But they developed and schemed and retained staff like no one else.
Oh please they have tip top blue chips. Man! T Lawrence is the truth. That boy....dare a say it.................
no, I can't say it!!!!!!
Oh man Im going to say it.
T Lawrence future Heisman
And we freakin had him. Now that one stings bad. But we had to lose Butch, T Lawrence, you are the baby we just wanted to throw out the dern bathwater! Gotta play for the long term tho gentlemen. I said it's great....

Best head coach - no way
Best offensive coordinator- no way
Best OL coach - no way
Best Def coordinator- unproven but likely good
Best S&C - no way.

This may turn out to be a decent staff, time will tell. But it’s not best in the county, best in the conference, or best in the eastern division. It might be the best in the state of Tn, but that is not a given either.

Keep your chin up and cheer the Vols on, and with luck in a few years you will begin competing again.

SMH sigh
The best staff in the country is WAY more intricate than you are presenting. First, "Staff" is a collective term. That means they all score high enough to where they could be the best ACROSS THE BOARD. This is across the board: recruiting, development, regional connections/contacts, engagement with players, players family, and community, chemistry across coaches and interaction to futher process development etc. It is a deep web of factors that no one can clearly determine who is the best by stats as absolute fact.
BUT if you want facts.
Look how many of our coaches have been on championship teams
Look how many players our coaches have developed for the NFL.
Run those numbers and get back to me.

Oh please they have tip top blue chips. Man! T Lawrence is the truth. That boy....dare a say it.................
no, I can't say it!!!!!!
Oh man Im going to say it.
T Lawrence future Heisman
And we freakin had him. Now that one stings bad. But we had to lose Butch, T Lawrence, you are the baby we just wanted to throw out the dern bathwater! Gotta play for the long term tho gentlemen. I said it's great....

Cant comprehend, but I think I agree, at least on TL and Butch butchering it.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Serious question: has anybody other than the OP encountered anyone (nonetheless most of the people they know) foolish enough to claim that our coaching staff is the best in the country?
I like our coaching staff, but this coaching staff are not the ones putting on the pads on Saturday afternoons VOLS NEED PLAYERS TO BE THE BEST...……...GO VOLS

Best head coach - no way
Best OL coach - no way
Best S&C - no way.

This may turn out to be a decent staff, time will tell. But it’s not best in the county, best in the conference, or best in the eastern division. It might be the best in the state of Tn, but that is not a given either.

Keep your chin up and cheer the Vols on, and with luck in a few years you will begin competing again.

Isn't HC "undetermined" as is DC? S&C has a good track record, as do OL and OC. Not saying each is tops, but all are pretty good and, collectively, there is no weak spot.

Unlike UGA with their bum OC. He did worse each year he was at Miami. How he got another job is beyond me, but I guess they wanted to work on a budget. I still think UF has a very good gameday staff, especially playcalling. Mullen and Grantham are probably the best playcalling duo in the SEC. But UT is close behind, considering Ansley will basically be conditioned to call almost exactly what Pruitt would have in all instances. LSU could be up there too and I like USC's playcalling too.

I like our coaching staff, but this coaching staff are not the ones putting on the pads on Saturday afternoons VOLS NEED PLAYERS TO BE THE BEST...……...GO VOLS

It is definitely the most important aspect, but it's up to these coaches to get them there. Otherwise you are just USC or FSU, top 5 talent and constantly disappointing. Or be OU or Clemson, top 15 talent and making playoffs. Definitely need BOTH. Imo we have "enough" to be competitive in our division next year and should have more by 2021 and compete nationally.

Valid question. Saban's main assistants have been a revolving door the past few years but the wins pretty much stay the same. I'd say at this point it's more of a trend than an anomaly that Bama still wins despite changing coordinators frequently. The results have shown that as long as Saban is coaching they will win at an elite level. Regarding Jimmy's and Joe's (and I put about 2 minutes of research into this because I don't really care about Alabama), their recruiting for the past 10 years has been top 5, and #1 for most of the past decade.

On another note, I saw a tweet from Chris Low earlier today on the regular season conference records for the last three years combined. Bama is 23-1 in that time. It's really remarkable what Saban has built down there. I hope Pruitt can do the same, but to say that Pruitt's staff is the best in the country right now is a little questionable.

I can agree with that.

Reactions: solivols
“Good JUCOS” has been more of an oxymoron for Tennessee the last 5-6 years.

Riyadh Jones
Woody Quinn
Dontavious Blair
Johnathan Johnson
Jeff George
Chris Weatherd
Justin Martin
Johnathan Kongbo
DJ Henderson

Shall I continue or is that good?
About half of those guys started at some point, so obviously they were better than their high school counterparts.

SMH sigh
The best staff in the country is WAY more intricate than you are presenting. First, "Staff" is a collective term. That means they all score high enough to where they could be the best ACROSS THE BOARD. This is across the board: recruiting, development, regional connections/contacts, engagement with players, players family, and community, chemistry across coaches and interaction to futher process development etc. It is a deep web of factors that no one can clearly determine who is the best by stats as absolute fact.
BUT if you want facts.
Look how many of our coaches have been on championship teams
Look how many players our coaches have developed for the NFL.
Run those numbers and get back to me.

HC, OC, Ol don’t sniff the top in their profession. This is the same old crap that we heard about Butch and his staff; best in the land. Not one of these coaches has proven they can be successful in their current role. And, they are handicapped with a cast of players that would make it tough on the very best coach(es). It is true that it is all undetermined however. They may be a good staff, no one knows right now. But claiming they are the best is ludicrous. I do know that UGA is miles ahead on the O line since Pittman came on board, replacing the guy running your O line. Keep talking about our OC, I’m thinking he and the team will put a big number on you this year.

If you want to talk recruiting, you look at the numbers. You better hope your staff has a magic eye and is seeing what most others are not. In case you haven’t looked check out the rankings. And check out the avg rating, the numbers here can’t make you feel very good.

Family connections; seems like most every player that commits says whatever school they commit to connected great with their family. I know that’s what they say about Georgia. A name you may be familiar with are Tate Ratledge; it was down to Tn and UGA and you know where he chose to go. I could list a dozen more players but will leave it with Tate since he is so current. Same thing has happened with >80% of the players the dawgs want.

Championship pedigree; yes there are many, many teams with coaches that have been on other staffs that one championships. Usually those teams won them before and after said coach was there.

Listen, I’m not trying to be dismissive of UT coaching potential, it may turn out to be a good group. But they have done absolutely nothing in their current roles to suggest they are the best in the country. Let them get the ship turned before you put that belief/expectation on them. When you don’t it sounds like the same old crap as when Butch was there. Most posters on this site have already made this clear.

Reactions: Offset Eye
HC, OC, Ol don’t sniff the top in their profession. This is the same old crap that we heard about Butch and his staff; best in the land. Not one of these coaches has proven they can be successful in their current role. And, they are handicapped with a cast of players that would make it tough on the very best coach(es). It is true that it is all undetermined however. They may be a good staff, no one knows right now. But claiming they are the best is ludicrous. I do know that UGA is miles ahead on the O line since Pittman came on board, replacing the guy running your O line. Keep talking about our OC, I’m thinking he and the team will put a big number on you this year.

Pruitt as default defensive caller is the tops. Chaney isn't top 10, but top 20. Again, UF may average higher. But we are still miles ahead other foes, such as uga. They are clearly way behind with their terrible OC. So let's be happy we are top 2 in our division, I'd say top 3 in the conference. No need to be such a negavol. I don't think we are top in the country, but at least we are ahead most rivals, save maybe UF.

If you want to talk recruiting, you look at the numbers. You better hope your staff has a magic eye and is seeing what most others are not. In case you haven’t looked check out the rankings. And check out the avg rating, the numbers here can’t make you feel very good.

Uhh average rating is currently 90.25 and we have 4 bluechips out of 6 recruits. We hit a 91 average recruit last year with transfers. These are both way above what our last staff recruited. Recruiting is going well. As I posted in the RF, Pruitt has a 58% bluechip ratio over the last 2 years. Sorry if you were a Butch lover or something, but it's easy to see we are miles from that staff.

Pruitt as default defensive caller is the tops. Chaney isn't top 10, but top 20. Again, UF may average higher. But we are still miles ahead other foes, such as uga. They are clearly way behind with their terrible OC. So let's be happy we are top 2 in our division, I'd say top 3 in the conference. No need to be such a negavol. I don't think we are top in the country, but at least we are ahead most rivals, save maybe UF.

Uhh average rating is currently 90.25 and we have 4 bluechips out of 6 recruits. We hit a 91 average recruit last year with transfers. These are both way above what our last staff recruited. Recruiting is going well. As I posted in the RF, Pruitt has a 58% bluechip ratio over the last 2 years. Sorry if you were a Butch lover or something, but it's easy to see we are miles from that staff.
Do you keep calling a GA fan a "negavol"?

Reactions: Mike Moffett
Best head coach - no way
Best OL coach - no way
Best S&C - no way.

Ok buddy

Best head coach - no way
Best OL coach - no way
Best S&C - no way.

I'm just soley basing my statement off what I've heard from other reputable people on sport networks along with the supported credentials alot of our staff have on there resume; Jim Chaney (one of the best in the business, other coaches agree), Derrick Ansley and Jeremy Pruitt are very bright minded secondary coaches by trade, Will Friend is a very respected o-line coach(I for one am not sold on him yet), Chris Rumph and Tracey Rocker brings years of experience to the defense, and Tee Martin is an ace recruiter. There's others that I miss but the ones I have mentioned are a solid group of coaches and for the most part are elite recruiters

I don't put a lot of stock in JUCOs there's just not a lot of time to develop them. For every Cam Newton there are 50 Dontavious Blairs.

I predicted 6-6 pre-Chaney, but now I'll go 7-5. We just don't have the depth in the trenches.

2020, in my worthless opinion, is when we'll hit the 9 win mark and hopefully be a consistent contender in the East moving
forward. Pruitt, at times, has greatly frustrated me, but his willingness to adapt and upgrade staff has been impressive and has given me hope. You just can't expect to compete in or league with the roster, culture, S&C program he walked into.

Yes, he's lost games he shouldn't have. Most coaches have. He's not perfect, but from a standpoint of intelligence, teaching technique and discipline, recruiting drive and overall coaching talent, I feel were in the best situation we've been in since Culcliffe left for Ole Miss.

I laughed/mocked at our last three hires so I'm not a "coach worshiper" or whatever lingo we're using these days. My reaction to the Pruitt hire was a "shrug, guess this is best we can do right now" but his recruiting and off-season moves have given me hope.

Chaney was the perfect hire. Yes, he's probably a B+ hire, but he wants to retire here and that's huge for recruiting. All the A+ hires (had they been successful) would have bolted in a couple of years. I think we underestimate the power of telling offensive recruiting targets that it's highly unlikely their OC/scheme will change during their career at UT.

Last edited:
“Good JUCOS” has been more of an oxymoron for Tennessee the last 5-6 years.

Riyadh Jones
Woody Quinn
Dontavious Blair
Johnathan Johnson
Jeff George
Chris Weatherd
Justin Martin
Johnathan Kongbo
DJ Henderson

Shall I continue or is that good?
not saying i agree or disagre ... but these guys were coached by butch jones and co.

It's a 7 , 8 win team maybe. QB is the key. If JG takes a step forward we can get to that number, if not the rally cry will be wait til next year like always. DL is a concern. If it stinks to high heaven we'll be wanting the season to end as soon as possible.

O-line is the question if they can block he will be a top 5 in the conference with no problem.

I say 6-7 wins this year because the state of the OL is improving, but tenuous still:

Unplanned Departures: Drew Richmond transferred; Chance Hall's knees ended his football career

Trey Smith's medical issues are well-known - we just don't know I won't speculate on his health or potential to return to form

Likely Starters:

Jahmir Johnson (has really outplayed a lot of more hyped teammates) and Brandon Kennedy

Darnell Wright (who isnt even on campus yet) and Wanya Morris are likely to be starters by the time we hit SEC play

Then we need both Tatum and Niehaus to make big leaps from last year.

Depth Building:

Carvin has to be better and I expect he will be as last year wasn't a fair situation for a Freshman to be thrown into.

Ryan Johnson might be able to give us something?

Calbert and Crosby may make a play for some time too.

We do have developmental bodies in the pipeline after these guys. We just aren't a 9 win OL team yet, but we are in a far far better place than when Pruitt arrived here.

Reactions: KingGenius
I could easily agree with this however the line of scrimmage has to drastically improve. The key on the oline is the freshman that will be filling both tackle positions. If these guys step up and dominate for freshman that will help. The dline just lost so much. Guys coming in have to step up as well. As for the rest I think this is easily a 8/9 win team.

I concur.

Best head coach - no way
Best OL coach - no way
Best S&C - no way.

You are just as premature as those blind optimists that say the opposite. Pruitt has to prove himself... one way or the other. It isn't any more factual or reasonable to say he "isn't" than to say he "is"... anything.

Chaney though is one of the best OC's in college football. There you are just wrong. To say one guy is the "best" gets real subjective. To say that he's a top 5% OC... is a lot more objective.

Reactions: KingGenius

VN Store

Back