Football talk - Not just Tenn

a vol n tears

I am a Tenn fan, but love college football. I can see big changes on the horizon that none of us can predict the details. With the money and athletes already getting political, it may not be near as fun for me. Both change the way athletes act and perform. Looking at the Big 12 it seems they are going to have to be in a holding pattern While the remaining Power 5s make their moves and also what the NCAA will look like. If the remaining schools stick together, they have some leverage as major players in basketball and to a lesser degree in baseball and somewhat in football. Their biggest leverage is sticking together and force Texas and Ok to fork up around $200M for leaving the conference. If any of them are looking to jump, they will not want to force Tex and Ok to pay up. A large chunk of money for the remaining schools. They still retain a. Power 5 ranking, so If they could get UConn, Houston, Memphis, or other similar schools, they could still remain viable. Depends on what happens with the NCAA. Baylor just won the basketball champ, Kansas is a blue blood, Conn has multiple championships, and TCU is a solid baseball program. Bringing back Neb wouldn’t hurt. What are your thoughts on the Big 12?

I am a Tenn fan, but love college football. I can see big changes on the horizon that none of us can predict the details. With the money and athletes already getting political, it may not be near as fun for me. Both change the way athletes act and perform. Looking at the Big 12 it seems they are going to have to be in a holding pattern While the remaining Power 5s make their moves and also what the NCAA will look like. If the remaining schools stick together, they have some leverage as major players in basketball and to a lesser degree in baseball and somewhat in football. Their biggest leverage is sticking together and force Texas and Ok to fork up around $200M for leaving the conference. If any of them are looking to jump, they will not want to force Tex and Ok to pay up. A large chunk of money for the remaining schools. They still retain a. Power 5 ranking, so If they could get UConn, Houston, Memphis, or other similar schools, they could still remain viable. Depends on what happens with the NCAA. Baylor just won the basketball champ, Kansas is a blue blood, Conn has multiple championships, and TCU is a solid baseball program. What are your thoughts on the Big 12?
. In football there is gonna be two mega conferences here in the next few years the big ten and SEC it’s gonna turn into the NFL which sickens me.

I think it’s gone. The only school that has any blue blood status in any sport, Kansas is absolutely the worst team in the Power 5 football, which is driving the bus. I feel like some of these schools will move around like KU and Iowa State. TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech will be left twisting in the wind.

Reactions: Toujours Pret
If the ACC can't get Notre Dame to jump all in, I feel like TCU and Baylor make the most sense for them money-wise. Large markets, access to Texas recruits (obviously not on the scale of SEC, but it's something). Plus TCU and BU being small, private, Christian universities fits much more in ACC than in the Pac 12.

West VA doesn't bring anything they don't already have. Iowa St and even Kansas I'm not sure about because football and markets are the driver here.

Other than that, maybe PAC reaches out for TX Tech, OSU, Kansas, and Iowa St. But can those teams really increase their TV dollars enough to justify the addition? I don't know.

Nobody left brings enough to raise BIG TV money enough to consider unless they go big game hunting (Pac teams, Notre Dame).

Reactions: wmcovol
Big 12 needs to get BYU, SMU (legacy from ole SW Conference) and see if Nebraska wants to come back (I don’t think they fit in Big 10.). Big 12 needs to stay out of the “city night school” markets.

Big 12 needs to get BYU, SMU (legacy from ole SW Conference) and see if Nebraska wants to come back (I don’t think they fit in Big 10.). Big 12 needs to stay out of the “city night school” markets.
Nebraska isn't a good fit in the Big Ten but they are making bank there. They aren't going anywhere.

Nebraska isn't a good fit in the Big Ten but they are making bank there. They aren't going anywhere.

Probably right but they jump for a Big12/pac12 merger. They lost their west coast recruiting pull. They might get that back otherwise.

If the ACC can't get Notre Dame to jump all in, I feel like TCU and Baylor make the most sense for them money-wise. Large markets, access to Texas recruits (obviously not on the scale of SEC, but it's something). Plus TCU and BU being small, private, Christian universities fits much more in ACC than in the Pac 12.

West VA doesn't bring anything they don't already have. Iowa St and even Kansas I'm not sure about because football and markets are the driver here.

Other than that, maybe PAC reaches out for TX Tech, OSU, Kansas, and Iowa St. But can those teams really increase their TV dollars enough to justify the addition? I don't know.

Nobody left brings enough to raise BIG TV money enough to consider unless they go big game hunting (Pac teams, Notre Dame).

I think the Big 12 teams left offer Pac 12 teams opportunities to play in Central time zones which will greatly enhance the TV package. UCLA & USC playing in Texas vs TCU, Baylor or Tech or @Ok St will help them with their TV package.

VN Store

Back