Football revenue question

Does anyone have access to current numbers? This link shows a decline but appears to be info from two seasons ago although it mentions Pruitt in his first year which is confusing.

Which are the richest and poorest Power Five college football programs? Here are all 65, ranked bottom to top
You have to take into account the FY beginning and end dates. So last years football revenue would be included in their report that has a FY of 30 Jun 2019. Quick answer to your question would this time next year.

A decline shouldn't be surprising. Incentives and alternatives to attending games and engaging in the associated revenue sources such as food, drink, and souvenirs are increasing. The game is facing the same online challenges that's closing major department stores. Add that to the behavior of fans, traffic, cost of travel and more, you get folks opting to stay home.

Many venues are starting to restructure to focus more on user experience.

Eventually, I think the days of packing everyone in so tight that we can barely move are gone.

The obesity rate alone is getting so high that Neyland is no longer enjoyable.

I've said this before, and I'm not trying to offend, but last game I went to (2-3 years ago), I had a 400 pound woman with her knees in my back, and I was crushed from side to side.

Now, I just watch it on television. It's more enjoyable.

Many venues are starting to restructure to focus more on user experience.

Eventually, I think the days of packing everyone in so tight that we can barely move are gone.

The obesity rate alone is getting so high that Neyland is no longer enjoyable.

I've said this before, and I'm not trying to offend, but last game I went to (2-3 years ago), I had a 400 pound woman with her knees in my back, and I was crushed from side to side.

Now, I just watch it on television. It's more enjoyable.

Can't blame you in regard to the bipedal whales. Being literally forced off a seat by blubber thighs and hips already had me thinking of staying home. Then in another thread, a poster stated something about obese fans that hit too close to home from a reality standpoint. After contemplating what was said, I came to the same conclusion as you. Starting this year, I'll watch games at home. I might have despite that post continued to grin and bear it. But as I contemplated my experiences, I recalled the smirks and laughter by said whales. Taking up extra space and gloating over it is a bit much. That post along with that recollection and other incidents and events gave me the nudge I needed to make my final decision. I'm not happy about it but it makes sense to me.

Would think that this years BBall team would have made up some of footballs short fall?

Can't blame you in regard to the bipedal whales. Being literally forced off a seat by blubber thighs and hips already had me thinking of staying home. Then in another thread, a poster stated something about obese fans that hit too close to home from a reality standpoint. After contemplating what was said, I came to the same conclusion as you. Starting this year, I'll watch games at home. I might have despite that post continued to grin and bear it. But as I contemplated my experiences, I recalled the smirks and laughter by said whales. Taking up extra space and gloating over it is a bit much. That post along with that recollection and other incidents and events gave me the nudge I needed to make my final decision. I'm not happy about it but it makes sense to me.

Yeah. Neyland seating is just too small. I feel like they should use the same tactics as airlines.

If you are morbidly obese, you have to pay for 2-3 seats.

That would fix a lot of issues.

I can’t get over wanting to be at the game the next time we beat Fl, Ga and Bama. I’ve never attended a Ga win. My plans fell thru last year to go to the Auburn game. I’ve never attended an Auburn win. I’ve never attended an LSU win. I’ve never attended an Ar win. I’ve never attended an A&M win. I’ve never attended a S.C. win in Columbia.

I’m pretty sure I’m gonna keep going as often as I can.

I would like to go to a 9 game SEC schedule.

Going to be hard to increase our revenues for games if our public address announcer keeps on saying "Pay these prices and Pay, no more"!.........

Does anyone have access to current numbers? This link shows a decline but appears to be info from two seasons ago although it mentions Pruitt in his first year which is confusing.

Which are the richest and poorest Power Five college football programs? Here are all 65, ranked bottom to top

One thing to keep in mind here is taht every school has different accounting methods for what constitutes "Football Revenue."

For example, one SEC school that is usually high on the list counts all donations and TV revenue as football revenue. Most schools, split that among other sports. Some schools apply the entire amount of all-sport sponsorship contracts to football and others don't apply them to any specific sport.

There's no way to make a true apples-to-apples comparison of JUST football or JUST basketball, etc. The only real metric we have is total athletics revenue.

Reactions: Freak
The SEC and UT especially is going to have to get on board with beer sales at Neyland, and a revamping of the stadium amenities if they want an experience that can can overcome the ease of watching the game at home.

Reactions: tbh
The SEC and UT especially is going to have to get on board with beer sales at Neyland, and a revamping of the stadium amenities if they want an experience that can can overcome the ease of watching the game at home.

I’m not sure this would do it. The only thing close in football to matching the sit on your couch experience are the NFL mega stadiums. Those who currently don’t attend games don’t care about concessions, beer, or a Jumbotron.

They stay home to avoid the traffic, heat, and expense. The best stadiums in the NFL make patrons comfortable with climate control and ample butt room. College can’t do that because they can’t spend 3billion on a stadium.

Reactions: jamesthesame
I’m not sure this would do it. The only thing close in football to matching the sit on your couch experience are the NFL mega stadiums. Those who currently don’t attend games don’t care about concessions, beer, or a Jumbotron.

They stay home to avoid the traffic, heat, and expense. The best stadiums in the NFL make patrons comfortable with climate control and ample butt room. College can’t do that because they can’t spend 3billion on a stadium.

So the stadium experience has to be good enough to overcome the traffic, heat, etc. Crap seating, reprehensible bathrooms, and the denial of the ability to have a beer while you watch a sporting event is not going to help sell the "stadium experience" as something that you want to experience. People are willing to overlook a lot, as long as they can justify the positives of an experience over the negative.

Sitting in any stadium is never going to be as comfortable as sitting on your couch, but sitting on the couch is never going to give you the same atmosphere as sitting in the stadium. UT needs to make people want to disregard the negatives in favor of that atmosphere.

Reactions: tbh
So the stadium experience has to be good enough to overcome the traffic, heat, etc. Crap seating, reprehensible bathrooms, and the denial of the ability to have a beer while you watch a sporting event is not going to help sell the "stadium experience" as something that you want to experience. People are willing to overlook a lot, as long as they can justify the positives of an experience over the negative.

Sitting in any stadium is never going to be as comfortable as sitting on your couch, but sitting on the couch is never going to give you the same atmosphere as sitting in the stadium. UT needs to make people want to disregard the negatives in favor of that atmosphere.

I would quickly go back to Atlanta Braves new stadium.

It is actually a really nice experience. I also think Bridgestone Arena overall has a nice seating experience.

Neyland needs work. A lot of it.

Revenue/costs figures are difficult because credits to the account are shown in the year the expense occurs. For example, when Jones and his staff were fired, the entire amount of the buy outs were recorded for the year in which he was fired rather in the year that payments were made. The total of the buy outs are placed in an account and the annual/monthly check is made against that account.

Revenue/costs figures are difficult because credits to the account are shown in the year the expense occurs. For example, when Jones and his staff were fired, the entire amount of the buy outs were recorded for the year in which he was fired rather in the year that payments were made. The total of the buy outs are placed in an account and the annual/monthly check is made against that account.
The total buyout should go to the balance sheet as a liability and when monthly payments are made the expense is recognized and an entry to move from balance sheet to income statement should be made. It is like the cost of a loan when it is amortized across the life of the loan. The total buyout does not hit the expense in one year. This creates a "smooth" income statement. Now, I am not sure how the University accounted for this exactly but I would be willing to bet that this is the manner that they use to deal with such expenses.

The total buyout should go to the balance sheet as a liability and when monthly payments are made the expense is recognized and an entry to move from balance sheet to income statement should be made. It is like the cost of a loan when it is amortized across the life of the loan. The total buyout does not hit the expense in one year. This creates a "smooth" income statement. Now, I am not sure how the University accounted for this exactly but I would be willing to bet that this is the manner that they use to deal with such expenses.
The entire cost of the buy out shows as one time expense for the years the buy out in activated. However, those funds are set aside and paymnts are withdrawn from the set aside. The profit and loss is affected in the first year.

The entire cost of the buy out shows as one time expense for the years the buy out in activated. However, those funds are set aside and paymnts are withdrawn from the set aside. The profit and loss is affected in the first year.
You're correct the expense would hit when the buyout is "activated" and credit the accrued benefit on BS. The monthly "payment" entry would debit the accrued benefit and credit cash. I was relating to a situation where severance was paid out over 6 months but further services were required so the benefit was expensed over those periods. This was not the case with Butch and other staff members. My mistake.

VN Store

Back