Football Recruits

samanderson

There doesn't seem to be a lot of coverage on how the coaches are doing on the recruiting trail this year. This is causing a good bit of consternation on my part because how successful the Vols are with their recruiting is far more pertinent to the success of the program than who will or won't be coaching our beloved orange clad players in the near and distant future.

At the very top of my recruiting curiosity list is what are our chances of landing a blue chip quarterback. This is a serious need that has to be nailed down or we will be feeling quite gloomy about the Vols for more than a season or two. In fact, if we don't get a stud quarterback, our only joy will be watching Colquitt break every punting record that exists on the NCAA record book.

If anyone knows anything please fill me in. The old "No news is good news." maxim doesn't apply at all when it comes to this topic.

Sam Anderson

I think our Vols are doing ok so far on the recruiting front. The two juco's that recently committed were both 5 star players and our total is at 9 by my count. We are still in very good shape as its still early. When you are recruiting top players many of them don't make their decisions until late. As for the QB situation I think that Fulmer knows how important this is and will get the job done. We are in on several big name guys and I am hearing that they expect to have their first QB committed by Christmas (I hope). I think that after we get the first we will get a second right away since we will most likely only sign two. As you can tell I am still pretty optimistic.

Just saw this article that Brohm and Schaeffer will be on campus this weekend. In total we will have at least 12 prospects on campus this weekend.

Tennessean

Please update the board when anyone hears something new. I'm stuck in College Station, TX and all anyone wants to talk about is aTm or ut (texas).

A Bama fan here told me that Demonte Bolden was wavering on his commit and might change his mind for Bama. Anyone head about this?

We will do that!! Hopefully there will be some news after this weekend. :cross:

Arkansas ATH leaning toward UT
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeremy Crabtree
Rivals100.com Recruiting Analyst

Augusta, Ark., isn’t exactly a hot spot for college football recruits, but it’s become a common stopping place for coaches this year because of the play of 5-foot-10, 210-pound athlete/running back James Turner.

Turner said most teams are talking to him about being an athlete, but he said he could envision himself even playing fullback in college because of his hard-nosed playing style.

“Iowa offered me most recently, and I have had a Tennessee offer ever since I went to their camp last summer,” Turner said. “Coach Caldwell from Tennessee came by the house last week and met with me and my parents. He told us all about the University. Iowa’s coming back this week some time to talk about my visit next week.”

Turner said he’s leaning toward Tennessee at this point.

“They have a good program, but it’s pretty much the only school I’ve been to,” he said. “I’ve liked them ever since this summer at camp.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike Farrell
Rivals100.com Recruiting Analyst

Rivals.com recently returned from the one of the largest college prep combines on the east coast. It was absolutely perfect football weather in the foothill mountains of Virginia as family and friends, along with more than 50 college recruiters and coaches, gathered for the Fall 2003 Hargrave Military Academy football combine.

The future SEC stars kept showing their stuff at the combine. Not to be outdone by Arkansas, Tennessee has one very impressive commitment and is in the mix for a few more.

5-foot-11, 185-pound cornerback Jonathan Hefney, committed to the Vols, used the combine to further show why he was offered a scholarship by the SEC power. Hefney, a South Carolina native overlooked last year by the Gamecocks and Tigers in state, turned in a 4.4-second time in the 40-yard dash and showcased his tight man coverage in the 7-on-7 drills. Playing bump-and-run or zone, Hefney has the skills to do it all. He can read the quarterback, break on the ball, and come up to take away the short plays in the flat.

During the combine, we also learned that Tennessee is strongly involved with 6-foot-4, 245-pound linebacker Antonio Reynolds. Reynolds, a phenomenal athlete who originally committed to Miami, will take an official visit to Tennessee this upcoming weekend (Dec. 12). He will follow that weekend with an official visit to Clemson later in December (Dec. 19). Maryland is also angling for an official visit.

After watching Reynolds work the combine, there is no wonder why so many top programs are actively seeking his services. Reynolds 4.6-second 40-yard dash time and 35-inch vertical are further testament to his athletic ability. Playing outside or inside linebacker, Antonio will make the fans whatever school he chooses very happy for several years to come.

Tennessee will also be hosting 6-foot-6, 280-pound defensive end Brandon Setzer on an official visit this weekend (Dec. 12). Setzer recently returned from a visit to Virginia Tech where he found the university to be "down to earth and very appealing". NC State is also in the running for Setzer and was present at the combine to get a first-hand look at Brandon and his 5.12-second 40 time. One of the most appealing aspects about Setzer is his tremendous leg strength and drive, as evidenced by his 36-inch vertical.

Chase Patton committed to Missouri this morning. I thought maybe we had a chance with this guy, but it looks like he will be staying close to home.

Still no word from any of our visitors this weekend. :dunno: :crap:

Brent Schaeffer visited this weekend and I hear was pretty impressed with his visit. I found this quote from a couple of days ago (this was before his visit).

"I probably have a top three," Schaeffer said. "Tennessee's just a little higher than Kansas State and South Florida. But I'm not saying that can't change."

Here is the Link

Just ran across this:

Re: Jamie....Demonte Bolden?

Demonte had trouble getting down and got their late. He will be on next week's show. HE did tell me that he is not taking any visits and is done and a VOL.

The Vols will battle UF and MD for Harvey. Not sure yet what Germany will do.

Jamie Newberg
National College Football Recruiting Analyst

This is from a couple of days ago, but in case some of you didn't see it the Vols got their 12th committment.

Go Vols

VN Store

Back