Football kickoff times

rocky top buzz

I understand these are driven primarily by media contracts, but Tennessee games kickoff in September at noon when its hotter than the surface of the sun, and in November they kickoff when the sun has set and frost is setting in. Why? I believe it really hurts attendance. I know it did Saturday, if that game kicked at noon the weather was perfect for football. Just curious if Tennessee has any influence over these times?

westy

Bigger Better Vols
It's media driven. I don't think any SEC school can influence kickoff times short of throwing a temper tantrum like ole Saban.

Vfl2407

I understand these are driven primarily by media contracts, but Tennessee games kickoff in September at noon when its hotter than the surface of the sun, and in November they kickoff when the sun has set and frost is setting in. Why? I believe it really hurts attendance. I know it did Saturday, if that game kicked at noon the weather was perfect for football. Just curious if Tennessee has any influence over these times?
No consideration To weather is given to the fans or players.
Schools do not set starting times.
The tv networks have TOTAL power in setting game times.

TAF

Oh Yeah...I mean it!
September games...usually for Tennessee involve "cupcakes' (Georgia State, UTC). Even though this year, those cupcakes were...

Those games (other than Florida, which has been in September for a LONG time)...are NOT gonna be The SEC feature Game of the Week!

GlockVol

Grandkids are great
When I was a student there in the 70s, games in Sept and first couple games in Oct. started at 7:00PM and from there on they started at 1:00 PM. Then TV changed all that.

Johnnyreb#VFL

It's media driven. I don't think any SEC school can influence kickoff times short of throwing a temper tantrum like ole Saban.
Sabans little hissy fits about lack of night games finally came full circle when they played us. That awful light show was a disgrace to all things football, but they probably dropped millions on a commodity that will hopefully only be used twice a season.

VN Store

Sponsors