Football isn’t happening...

If that is truly your reasoning then have you avoided going for fear of bringing the flu back to a vulnerable family member?

Politics are the reason there is any doubt whatsoever. This is a bad virus. But it isn't SARS or MERS bad. It isn't even as bad as some of the influenza strains that have broken out and killed lots of people.

Fauci was never more correct than when he wrote that this will likely end up being not much different than a severe flu season back in February. Covid is unlikely to reach even half the number of cases of a typical flu season. There is little chance that hospitalizations will reach the level of a typical flu season. The difference in mortality is very much due to the failure to count deaths associated with the two viruses the same way.

You are being manipulated by a narrative. You are being convinced that the Emperor's new clothes are the most beautiful ever made... as he rides down the street naked. The numbers COULD someday justify the hysteria (I doubt it but it could)... so far they do not.
I don’t mind exposing them to the flu. All in my family get the flu vaccine every year and I can’t recall the last case any of us had. So that dog won’t hunt. When they get a COVID vaccine, we’ll get it too. Then maybe I’ll subject myself to 100,000 closely packed folks. Your opinion that it does not justify the hysteria is just that- opinion. Plenty of learned folks disagree with you. So you do you and I’ll do me. Just don’t make the mistake of thinking your opinion or anybody else’s means anything when it comes to me and mine. It does not and never will. I make my own decisions and, so far in my life, I can’t complain about the results.

Reactions: ohhbother
And EVERY SINGLE YEAR healthy people catch the flu and die. Have we ever locked down the country or cancelled football season because people die of the flu?
The first shutdowns were warranted.
COVID has killed 130-135 thousand in 4 months.
The range for annual flu deaths since 2010 is 12k to 62k, (source CDC). If most of the country had not shut down who knows how many deaths would have happened, probably doubled or more. This virus is not comparable and has done much more damage than the Flu. I hope we do not shut down the country again and try to find ways to protect the at risk population especially if the death rates continue to fall.

Let's just

Let's just all lay down and die. Who cares if so many livelihoods depend on football??? Wanna really save lives???? Ban fast food. It's all just guess work with this virus at this point, but we do know after countless examples that healthy people aren't really vulnerable to complications from this disease. Let's get on with it. What a bunch of cowards.
FaintPartialAxisdeer-size_restricted.gif

What is wrong with being methodical and gathering more information and a bigger sample size before making a decision? That is the polar opposite of what the Big Ten and Ivy League have done.

The season is supposed to start in less than 50 days. There are insane amounts of logistics involved in this decision. I give the Big 10 and Ivy League credit for not waiting for an all out fire drill.

The season is supposed to start in less than 50 days. There are insane amounts of logistics involved in this decision. I give the Big 10 and Ivy League credit for not waiting for an all out fire drill.
If you think Phil Fulmer or Greg Byrne haven’t already run through every prospective scenario over with their teams to formulate a game plan then you’re crazy.

Reactions: Rickyvol77

Agree. I was thinking about it earlier today. Think about what just the coaches are having to deal with.

The locker room. The meeting rooms, gotta keep the starters away from their team mates, cannot have all the QB’s get sick at the same time, for instance? Do you teach your number 1 DB the base Offense so he can take game reps if a starting WR gets sick?

How do we travel?

Does the O-line and D-line have contact?

Rooming situations?

Film Room?

Work outs?

What about off the field?

When we go on the road can we be sure the other team is doing things correctly?

It’s mind blowing!

Reactions: QU1ZE
Come hell or high water we need to have football. Facial masks, some distancing in the stadium seating, take a little bit longer getting peeps into the stadium, a spaced out section for the band—whatever it takes—FOOTBALL NEEDS TO HAPPEN. We have to figure out how to make it work the best that we can. GBO!!!

Come hell or high water we need to have football. Facial masks, some distancing in the stadium seating, take a little bit longer getting peeps into the stadium, a spaced out section for the band—whatever it takes—FOOTBALL NEEDS TO HAPPEN. We have to figure out how to make it work the best that we can. GBO!!!

No it doesn't.

Life is what matters....

Jesus.

Reactions: ohhbother and vol66
Anybody think College basketball will be effected ?
I think there will be no change in the disease itself for years. Almost nobody has had it yet. The whole event will be very slow for instant gratification people like ourselves. My bet would be no attendance at games for next year but they will play them.

I will go out on a limb here and say the quality of play will be down. The game loses something.

Sadness for you. :(

Tennessee Volunteers Football Record By Year | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Check out 1918...just saying...yeah it was WWI, but it was Spanish Flu, originated on a farm in Kansas. Guys get on boats, dig trenches, bring it home.

Lasted about two years, no phones, no social media, no 24 hour news cycle, back then.

It’s heavy stuff. Football would be great! But I have to decide if I will send my kid back to school next month.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN

VN Store

Back