Football isn’t happening...

I know, and I wasn't making fun of you, well except for the "huddling in ac" part. Haha, I can picture people huddled up trying to get warm around a fire or heater. Not the AC so much.

Its not easy knowing exactly what to do except just be mindful of your surrounding and use a little common sense. IMO.

Yeah I think social distancing is good , I wear a mask to stores more out of respect for the cashiers & baggers. Not visiting Hospitals or Health Cares I might possibly carry to the vulnerable. Other than that just washing hands & no face touching. So far so good.

So MANY false positives being admitted these days. One more time and confirmed by CBS' 60 Minutes last night as well as the CDC now, it is difficult for many of the tests to accurately test antibodies for Covid-1 differentiated from Covid-19, or 18, or 17, or 16, or 15, et al. Consequently unless you know the accuracy of your tests vs the covid viruses alone, it's alot of speculation out there. For instance it very well could be some of the Clemson players are flashing antibodies for Covid-16 rather than -19 based on the type test they're using. The rational and easiest thing to do is quarantine immediately for the 14 days and call them asymptomatic and release them after the 14 days ready to go. The devil is in the details and few have them and yes asymptomatics remain very rare.

The tests being performed on athletes aren't antibody tests. They are tests for active infection. There's a very significant difference.

The tests being performed on athletes aren't antibody tests. They are tests for active infection. There's a very significant difference.
Actually a live virus, which is also different. Virus presence is not equal to infection.

The antibody tests are complete crap. In addition, even if the results of the antibody tests were accurate (and they're not), the results of these tests are being misused anyway. The only real purpose of an antibody test is to calculate the mortality rate. Adding those positive test results to the positive tests results measuring the active, live virus gives you a meaningless result.

Also, there is not significant proof that having the virus provides any meaningful protection against getting it again.

The antibody tests are complete crap. In addition, even if the results of the antibody tests were accurate (and they're not), the results of these tests are being misused anyway. The only real purpose of an antibody test is to calculate the mortality rate. Adding those positive test results to the positive tests results measuring the active, live virus gives you a meaningless result.

Also, there is not significant proof that having the virus provides any meaningful protection against getting it again.

Agreed. I don't believe antibody tests are being included in the active case number. At least they aren't in TN.

Reactions: onevol74

This, to me, is one of the article’s salient points.

“And it will be difficult for the NCAA to mandate an overarching national policy because of liability concerns.”

The NCAA isn’t going to cancel college football because doing so is signing their own death warrant; no football is a polite way of saying “no 2020-2021 sports,” and what’s the point in the juggernaut schools following the NCAA’s edicts if (justified or not) this same governing body is actively preventing them from earning revenue? A hands-off approach by the NCAA is going to sit well with the Alabama/Oklahoma/Ohio State in that it passes the buck to individual conferences, and no conference (least of all the Big XII and ACC) wants to tell their cash cows that they’re prohibited from playing sports.

It’s probably going to look and function *very* differently than any season in the last 75 years, but there’s just too much money on the line for there to be no football whatsoever. When you consider that no sports likely means no students as well, it’s practically a nonstarter in terms of probability.

“And it will be difficult for the NCAA to mandate an overarching national policy because of liability concerns.”

The NCAA isn’t going to cancel college football because doing so is signing their own death warrant; no football is a polite way of saying “no 2020-2021 sports,” and what’s the point in the juggernaut schools following the NCAA’s edicts if (justified or not) this same governing body is actively preventing them from earning revenue? A hands-off approach by the NCAA is going to sit well with the Alabama/Oklahoma/Ohio State in that it passes the buck to individual conferences, and no conference (least of all the Big XII and ACC) wants to tell their cash cows that they’re prohibited from playing sports.

It’s probably going to look and function *very* differently than any season in the last 75 years, but there’s just too much money on the line for there to be no football whatsoever. When you consider that no sports likely means no students as well, it’s practically a nonstarter in terms of probability.

great perspective

Agreed. I don't believe antibody tests are being included in the active case number. At least they aren't in TN.
The COVID-19 case numbers being reported in Arizona are a combined total of test results for active COVID-19 infection (PCR) and antibodies (serology). It's absolutely idiotic.

Last edited:

I don't think the NCAA or the conferences will be the deciders. I think it will be a handful of Governors that effectively cancel the season

I think you're right. NCAA will defer to conferences, and conferences will defer to influential members...until there's no other option. My guess is that all schools are plowing ahead with plans A-Z, but think the window of opportunity is closing fast. I was more optimistic of some type of a season a month ago. When covid hit NJ hard, early on, it took a good 8 weeks for things to ramp down. Now, I look at TX, FL, CA, GA, NC, where cases are picking up steam, and it's not just going to "get better in a few weeks", especially since it's summer and everyone, including me, wants to be out and about.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
I thought about making this it's own thread, but figured it fits well here. Some more bad news today.

I am very skeptical that any major sport will be played in the next few weeks, let alone in 2020. People might as well prepare themselves for the worst, but hope for the best.

I've accepted college football not happening. Not sure about basketball yet, which is a shame. This year's BB team is loaded with talent and could make a deep run

OP, at the beginning of this thread I thought you were crazy. Just being honest. Sounds like you were not very crazy....

We may have college football but its probably not going to be like anything we ever dreamed about.

Player are probably going to have to be tested for " da rona " before the contest and be cleared. I hope the speed of the tests increase. There is probably only going to be about high school football fans in the stands. No need for an upper deck.... I really hope that I am DEAD wrong but I do not think so as of today... Really sad....

People just need to quit being such a bunch of weak minded pu$$ies. A virus with a 99% plus survival rate is going to shut down the whole world until a vaccine is developed? Really??? What a load of crap. College and Professional Athletes are in the best shape of their lives. Who cares if they test positive. They aren't going to be dying from this weak microbe.

People just need to quit being such a bunch of weak minded pu$$ies. A virus with a 99% plus survival rate is going to shut down the whole world until a vaccine is developed? Really??? What a load of crap. College and Professional Athletes are in the best shape of their lives. Who cares if they test positive. They aren't going to be dying from this weak microbe.
I’m sure every member of the team is touched by your deep concern for them. I’m glad you’re not visiting the living rooms of recruits trying to convince their parents that UT is going to be an extension of their family.

You make points that are note worthy.

I’m sure every member of the team is touched by your deep concern for them. I’m glad you’re not visiting the living rooms of recruits trying to convince their parents that UT is going to be an extension of their family.

How many active college or professional athletes have died from this in this country?

VN Store

Back