Football isn’t happening...

A person should be tested a minimum of two times. Lady in one of our summer bowling leagues first tested positive. Then re-tested negative. These tests do throw out false positives and are not 100% reliable if only administered one test.

Reactions: vol66
A person should be tested a minimum of two times. Lady in one of our summer bowling leagues first tested positive. Then re-tested negative. These tests do throw out false positives and are not 100% reliable if only administered one test.

There are a dozen different tests out there and a lot of variance in the error rate. Presumably, our athletics department can access tests with higher rates of reliability.

62k deaths during last flu season at most. 110k deaths from Covid WITH quarantine measures in only 3.5 months. So I must ask, what is this small number relative to the flu to which you refer?

Your numbers don’t match with what Randy down at the Citgo told me and he knows a guy.

Southern Heritage Classic Canceled due to coronavirus concerns

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Organizers of the 31st Southern Heritage Classic announced the event has been canceled due to the coronavirus. The annual event brings tens of thousands of fans to the Mid-South and many were not happy Wednesday after the big announcement.

Southern Heritage Classic canceled due to coronavirus concerns
article excerpt:
The game was played after 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina, but can’t during COVID-19. Jones said the city’s decision to postpone Phase Three of the Back to Business plan sealed its fate.
Still, fans WREG spoke to said they understand why it had to be done.
“Don’t want nobody to catch COVID. Hopefully we can catch it next year,” said Track Gordon.

Say what now ??

Heard this from a friend..."Conway S.C. had 150 sign up to play football this fall...1st day of practice...7 showed up!!!

This might be provocative and unpopular but...

What if some kids tested positive and they were put into quarantine and you gave healthy kids on the team the option (sign a waiver or whatever) to go play video games and hang out with the guys that tested positive so they could go ahead and choose to get it? You put all the facts on the table so that they and their family totally understand the risk that they are currently taking and ask if that is something they would want to do. They are completely able to say no, not even going to entertain the idea and go about their normal business of getting ready for the season.
And this doesn’t even have to be a football question, this could be to see if these guys want to get back to a sense of normalcy without fear of infecting others, being able to be social on campus, going home for the Holidays without fear being around those most susceptible to the virus.

I realize this is the chicken pox theory and it’s much different than chicken pox, but I would be interested to see the results of a poll taken through the AD. I think the results would be surprising to some.

My personal belief is we just need to accept the virus is out there, take reasonable precautions and live our lives. We can't hide from it. The only qualification is if the hospitalization rates go up too much shutdowns may be necessary to preserve hospital capacity. But that's the only reason.

But what I (and we) think and say on a football forum isn't going to determine how this goes. Right now ADs and colleges are staring into the abyss of a season without football and are trying to figure out a way--expressing optimism--because they know better than anyone the calamity that not having a season would mean to their athletic budgets. But at the end of the day, I just don't see how it can be done with any level of continuity from one week to the next. Maybe someone can tell me how I'm missing the boat.

REPORT: Iowa Hawkeyes Suspend Football Ticket Sales As Chaos Consumes The Sport

The Iowa Hawkeyes have reportedly stopped selling tickets for the upcoming football season.

According to Bryan Fischer, the Hawkeyes have “paused ticket sales for the 2020 football season.” The move comes as the sport has plunged into chaos as players around the country test positive for coronavirus. (RELATED: David Hookstead Is The True King In The North When It Comes To College Football)

Reactions: Dumbledorange
The only families I know who have lost loved one are upset that their loved has COVID-19 on their death certificate but they know it’s a different disease that killed them. But since they tested positive, Bill Gates has them put COVID-19 as cause of death.
TOTAL BS post. Another tin foil hat conspiracy theory. Gates has no control over what goes onto death certificates across the US. This kind of BS is just counterfactual denial of a reality some folks just cant face

There are two major problems with coming to a consensus on any reasonable course of action with this pandemic. One, the “experts” have been wrong so often that a great percentage of the population has lost confidence in what the CDC, WHO, or the Whitehouse Task Force has to say. When Dr. Fauci basically admitted all the experts lied to us early on about the effectiveness of masks to preserve them for first responders, it was pretty much the last nail in the coffin for many. Now they don’t believe anything the “experts” say. Second, the pandemic has become so politicized and used by every element of the political class for their own ends that most don’t trust either the politicians or the media on the disease anymore. People’s view is mainly shaped by their own experience because they can’t trust anything else. Whether we have a college football season or not won’t be decided on science, concern for public safety, or any other “noble” reason. The NCAA and conferences will weigh the lost revenue versus the potential liability and make the call that costs the least amount of money.

My personal belief is we just need to accept the virus is out there, take reasonable precautions and live our lives. We can't hide from it. The only qualification is if the hospitalization rates go up too much shutdowns may be necessary to preserve hospital capacity. But that's the only reason.

But what I (and we) think and say on a football forum isn't going to determine how this goes. Right now ADs and colleges are staring into the abyss of a season without football and are trying to figure out a way--expressing optimism--because they know better than anyone the calamity that not having a season would mean to their athletic budgets. But at the end of the day, I just don't see how it can be done with any level of continuity from one week to the next. Maybe someone can tell me how I'm missing the boat.

Continuity is going to be the biggest issue IMO.

The Iowa Hawkeyes have reportedly stopped selling tickets for the upcoming football season.

According to Bryan Fischer, the Hawkeyes have “paused ticket sales for the 2020 football season.” The move comes as the sport has plunged into chaos as players around the country test positive for coronavirus. (RELATED: David Hookstead Is The True King In The North When It Comes To College Football)

Could also be a way to drive more ticket sales and get the associated cash influx.

"In a release issued Monday morning, University of Iowa Athletics says only those who renew their season tickets and pay their per-seat contribution by June 30 will be included in any potential seating plans for Kinnick Stadium."

If they were truly concerned about the season being played, they would stop all sales immediately not in over a week.

Whether we have a college football season or not won’t be decided on science, concern for public safety, or any other “noble” reason. The NCAA and conferences will weigh the lost revenue versus the potential liability and make the call that costs the least amount of money.

This is why I believe we'll have a season. The NCAA and its member institutions are going to exhaust every possible option before willfully foregoing general football, basketball and NCAA championship revenue.

Bowdoin can cancel sports and Iowa can suspend ticket sales until they're blue in the face, but I'll believe that Tennessee is pushing towards a fall football season in earnest until the moment that women's soccer is told they aren't going to be playing.

the problem with this thinking is it is guaranteed to erase our hospital capacity.

There are two major problems with coming to a consensus on any reasonable course of action with this pandemic. One, the “experts” have been wrong so often that a great percentage of the population has lost confidence in what the CDC, WHO, or the Whitehouse Task Force has to say. When Dr. Fauci basically admitted all the experts lied to us early on about the effectiveness of masks to preserve them for first responders, it was pretty much the last nail in the coffin for many. Now they don’t believe anything the “experts” say. Second, the pandemic has become so politicized and used by every element of the political class for their own ends that most don’t trust either the politicians or the media on the disease anymore. People’s view is mainly shaped by their own experience because they can’t trust anything else. Whether we have a college football season or not won’t be decided on science, concern for public safety, or any other “noble” reason. The NCAA and conferences will weigh the lost revenue versus the potential liability and make the call that costs the least amount of money.

I can only speak of my experience and those of whom I have asked. Most people don't know anyone that has been hospitalized with this illness. They may know someone who knows someone. That too contributes to the perception that this is overblown.

TOTAL BS post. Another tin foil hat conspiracy theory. Gates has no control over what goes onto death certificates across the US. This kind of BS is just counterfactual denial of a reality some folks just cant face

Would you believe...Dr. Birx?

Dr. Birx: Unlike Some Countries, "If Someone Dies With COVID-19 We Are Counting That As A COVID-19 Death"!

Edit:Maybe it doesn't go on the death certificate, but some other government document. I don't know, personally. But, I did hear the story of a death in a nursing home in which the family was asked for permission to report as covid related. They were offered $1,000 dollars. Because the nursing home would receive $13,000. True? I don't know. But, not out of the realm of possibility.

Last edited:
I can only speak of my experience and those of whom I have asked. Most people don't know anyone that has been hospitalized with this illness. They may know someone who knows someone. That too contributes to the perception that this is overblown.

Good post. Out of curiosty how many have family members who have been hospitalized because of covid19? I don't have any or do I know of any of my friends or their families who have been hospitalized because of covid 19, and I know several people. I have some friends who have tested positive but were not hospitalized.

I know football isn't the end all be all but it sure would suck if there was no season. It's just strange to think how this country seems to be tearing apart at the seams the past 3 months. What's it going to be like with over a year of the same?
It’s going to be awful this next holiday season with no football to watch. That would mean I have to talk to my brother’s in law the whole time at the holiday gatherings. Please God in heaven, let there be football !!!

It’s going to be awful this next holiday season with no football to watch. That would mean I have to talk to my brother’s in law the whole time at the holiday gatherings. Please God in heaven, let there be football !!!
Time to plan a cruise? Now, you don't have to go on a cruise. Just rent a cabin for a couple of weeks.

Reactions: Big Al Orange

VN Store

Back