Football in Purgatory

There is no secret that Pruitt is in trouble. The Football program is losing players, coaches and fans at an accelerated rate while the administration and AD do nothing to stop the bleeding. This limbo is going to affect this program with long reaching effects. The Tennessee job is not a top tier job anymore, sure they have facilities and some mismanaged resources, but they have a depleting fanbase. They have lost a generation of fans with their football program mismanagement over the past 13 years and will reap that loss for the foreseeable future. A lot of old school fans are apathetic, which directly translates to them not spending money on the program. The longer this Pruitt Circus Show lasts with no resolution either pro or con, the worse the long term effects will be.

Let me interpret this rant for everyone: "I don't know what is going on, so I am making things worse than they are because UT is not sharing information about the investigation."

Last edited:
I'm not in denial just tired of people on here acting like they have any freaking clue as to what is going on behind the scenes.
Yeah, that's true however there are somethings going on behind the scenes and obviously things aren't going well. That much we know is true the rest is speculation

Reactions: FlyFishnVol
I'm not in denial just tired of people on here acting like they have any freaking clue as to what is going on behind the scenes.

This is a world of made up news and rumors, they can say what they want and hide behind their freedom of speech rights to create fake news without one shred of evidence or reliable sources. It's a "oh I am unhappy with this coach now, so, I will make unsubstantiated comments and get him fired"🤢🤮

Last edited:
The issue here is the investigation is still ongoing. First thing lawyers, on both sides, will advise is to say nothing to anyone. Although painful for us fans to be in a void of information it’s part of the process.

I imagine it’s far worse to be the focus of this investigation and unable to say or do anything to defend yourself. Or if your guilty and know they have the goods wondering how much, if anything, you will get as you’re terminated for cause and basically un-hirable for the next few years.
I agree, and there is big money at stake for Pruitts buyout

Reactions: GoVols64
There is no secret that Pruitt is in trouble. The Football program is losing players, coaches and fans at an accelerated rate while the administration and AD do nothing to stop the bleeding. This limbo is going to affect this program with long reaching effects. The Tennessee job is not a top tier job anymore, sure they have facilities and some mismanaged resources, but they have a depleting fanbase. They have lost a generation of fans with their football program mismanagement over the past 13 years and will reap that loss for the foreseeable future. A lot of old school fans are apathetic, which directly translates to them not spending money on the program. The longer this Pruitt Circus Show lasts with no resolution either pro or con, the worse the long term effects will be.

They’re making sure they pay as little of Pruitts buyout as possible. That’s not a short process. I don’t blame Pruitt for negotiating for what he is owed per his contract. When you have compliance issues and an NCAA investigation hanging over the process, then more details are added to the negotiation.

They’re making sure they pay as little of Pruitts buyout as possible. That’s not a short process. I don’t blame Pruitt for negotiating for what he is owed per his contract. When you have compliance issues and an NCAA investigation hanging over the process, then more details are added to the negotiation.

Now is the time to negotiate it...when the uncertainty is at its highest.

The only reason you don’t negotiate is if either side (or both) thinks they can get an absolute win after the investigation is completed.

Could someone with the know-how conjure up and post a photo of Hellboy with Phil's face and title it Heckboy?
Not skilled enough with computer graphics to do it myself.

Reactions: tbh
Now is the time to negotiate it...when the uncertainty is at its highest.

The only reason you don’t negotiate is if either side (or both) thinks they can get an absolute win after the investigation is completed.

It’s an ongoing process that changes based on the investigation and what evidence comes from that. UT is walking a tightrope of not wanting to pay the buyout and not getting punished by the NCAA. Additionally the UTAD wants the job to remain enticing to potential HCs. Having a bunch of scholarship reductions and post season bans isn’t really going to attract any big names.

The best possible outcome for UT is that there is enough evidence of recruiting violations or whatever else to get off the hook for the buyout and to get off with a slap on the wrist by the NCAA.

I am a 52 year fan, this is the worst shape the program has been, we got to get a so called name coach not a young and upcoming OC or DC or a coach that won 10 games at CC, i don't know what we are waiting on players and coaches are moving on ever day.

Reactions: SmokeyDog1973
It’s an ongoing process that changes based on the investigation and what evidence comes from that. UT is walking a tightrope of not wanting to pay the buyout and not getting punished by the NCAA. Additionally the UTAD wants the job to remain enticing to potential HCs. Having a bunch of scholarship reductions and post season bans isn’t really going to attract any big names.

The best possible outcome for UT is that there is enough evidence of recruiting violations or whatever else to get off the hook for the buyout and to get off with a slap on the wrist by the NCAA.

Well, I think that is obvious.

The contract will be litigated if UT fires “with cause.” You can count on that. The best for the University is to clean it all up at once. When they think that the time and leverage will be right...I have no idea.

But, as you alluded, it is a Catch 22 for the University. To make its strongest case against Pruitt is to look the worst to the NCAA. But, to minimize exposure to the NCAA is to hurt your case against Pruitt. And I don’t think you can get a zero payout to Pruitt without killing yourself with the NCAA.

If I were handling this, I would try to settle with Pruitt as soon as possible for a lower amount and convince him that our interests are aligned with the NCAA. UT doesn’t need sanctions and Pruitt doesn’t need a show-cause. Require his cooperation in the settlement agreement.

They could salvage this program and flip this thing pretty quick if they went out and hired a proven winner and big name coach but do you any of y’all actually trust this administration to do that? I sure don’t. They have been hell bent the last decade to bury the football program under the ground for good.

If we can’t hire a big name coach after Pruitt then shut it down that’s better than being embarrassed and laughed at every season.
We were a joke before we got JP, i didn't think it could get worse, this is the first time in my 52 years as a fan, i am embarrassed to put my BIG ORANGE CAP and walk around in the public, and the sad part it will get worse before it gets better, we have been the punch line to JOKES sense the LANE TRAIN WAS HERE, IT won't get better till the HOUSE IS CLEANED FROM TOP DOWN, and quit letting outsider run the program, do like BAMA did when they hired NICK, let the HEAD COACH HAVE CONTROL, COACH JP has to ask PHIL or call NICK on ever thing he does when it comes to football, i like coach JP its time for him to moved back to bama and be the DC or coach at a highschool that he talk's about all the time, not taking a shot at him he is not a SEC coach not many coaches are ready to run a program in the SEC.

Reactions: SmokeyDog1973
We were a joke before we got JP, i didn't think it could get worse, this is the first time in my 52 years as a fan, i am embarrassed to put my BIG ORANGE CAP and walk around in the public, and the sad part it will get worse before it gets better, we have been the punch line to JOKES sense the LANE TRAIN WAS HERE, IT won't get better till the HOUSE IS CLEANED FROM TOP DOWN, and quit letting outsider run the program, do like BAMA did when they hired NICK, let the HEAD COACH HAVE CONTROL, COACH JP has to ask PHIL or call NICK on ever thing he does when it comes to football, i like coach JP its time for him to moved back to bama and be the DC or coach at a highschool that he talk's about all the time, not taking a shot at him he is not a SEC coach not many coaches are ready to run a program in the SEC.
I feel the same way. I’ve been embarrassed to wear my UT hat or apparel cause your begging to get laughed at now.There are far more Ole Miss and Bama fans it seems here in Collierville now than UT fans. We have lost a generation of fans and all the bandwagon fans left years ago.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I believe that to be true as well, a lot of levels to be peeled back and viewed.....

Purgatory is also the perfect analogy and nickname for 2020 as a whole. Unfortunately 2021 is starting to look like a continuation of the same. It is unknown if and when we will ever complete sufficient penance and be allowed to leave out from our socially distanced and masked state of ongoing limbo.

VN Store

Back