Fluke

I say on a neutral field, we beat them with Milton and beat them worse with Hooker.

There was more to the USCjr loss than just bad scheming and Rattler’s career day. That being said, we may have lost anyway. Our defense has been less than stellar this year…..but there were lots of moving parts to that loss beyond talent, and even egos.
Water under the bridge, over and done with now.

USCe was a fluke. But it did definitely cost us a CFP position. How badly would we beat them now?
I'm not sure we could. Now that Rattler is playing like most thought he would, I would have to think he'd eat our secondary alive...again. The win over Clemson tells me SCjr is legit. I've no doubt they win their bowl game and finish on a high note. The QB is the key. SCjr has one. We have Milton. He's not making some of the throws Rattler did vs us or Clemson. To be blunt, we are not the team we were with Hooker. Not even close IMO. We just aren't going to be able to run the ball like we did vs Vandy and Milton won't be able to carry us with his arm the way Hooker could. We'll need a very favorable matchup in our bowl game and Milton will have to do a helluva lot better than he did vs Vandy for us to win and get to 11-2.

Reactions: cgrish
It only cost us a playoff spot if either TCU or USC loses this weekend. Otherwise we don't get in.

Reactions: knox73
If TCU, USC win out, it may not have cost us anything but a heartache when we didn't get picked.

They figured something out on Banks and the D. They gameplanned and called plays like they were inside his head. They outcoached and truthfully abused him.

So I guess my question is why you think they wouldn't do it again? It isn't like they beat UT with a last minute FG... they scored at will. Banks couldn't even give the O a chance.
Maybe they were tapped into the coaches box audio.

They figured something out on Banks and the D. They gameplanned and called plays like they were inside his head. They outcoached and truthfully abused him.

So I guess my question is why you think they wouldn't do it again? It isn't like they beat UT with a last minute FG... they scored at will. Banks couldn't even give the O a chance.

They had a good OL that gave the QB time and their WRs time to get open. Rattler played like he was projected to play in 2021. Certainly we would play them better in Neyland (and with Banks playing) but Clemson‘s D is pretty good and they gave up 31 points. Should have been 38 but Rattler throw a pic in the end zone just before half.

South Carolina was what I feared they would be when they added Rattler and a couple of receivers. Last year they were playing with a graduate assistant coach playing QB because all their scholarship QBs we’re hurt. Beamer will make them a tough out but I have faith that Heupel will build Tennessee to be a stronger program.

They had a good OL that gave the QB time and their WRs time to get open. Rattler played like he was projected to play in 2021. Certainly we would play them better in Neyland (and with Banks playing) but Clemson‘s D is pretty good and they gave up 31 points. Should have been 38 but Rattler throw a pic in the end zone just before half.

South Carolina was what I feared they would be when they added Rattler and a couple of receivers. Last year they were playing with a graduate assistant coach playing QB because all their scholarship QBs we’re hurt. Beamer will make them a tough out but I have faith that Heupel will build Tennessee to be a stronger program.
The caveat to what I posted earlier is that if USCe had been called for holding like they should have been the game would have been different. From what I've seen, Rattler's effectiveness goes WAY down under pressure. But holds went uncalled consistently and Banks for whatever reason couldn't get pressure otherwise. They might have scored 70 on me... but there's no way on earth I would have let him stand in the pocket and throw. Get up on the LOS in press coverage, bring the house, and take the kickoff if it doesn't work.

Reactions: cgrish

Because the defense simply quit that night. Coaches can tell me nothing happened in the locker room due to Banks but the game said otherwise. Guys were just jogging from place to place, no hustle.

whatever happened seems to be temporary though because clearly they stepped back up to shut Vandy out completely.

Because the defense simply quit that night. Coaches can tell me nothing happened in the locker room due to Banks but the game said otherwise. Guys were just jogging from place to place, no hustle.

whatever happened seems to be temporary though because clearly they stepped back up to shut Vandy out completely.
I respect you... but I'm not buying that from the start they weren't hustling. I imagine after they couldn't stop USCe and always seemed to be in the wrong call it got pretty frustrating.

But I'm just not buying "blame the players". Good on the ones who tried to "own it"... but Banks was badly outcoached.

I respect you... but I'm not buying that from the start they weren't hustling. I imagine after they couldn't stop USCe and always seemed to be in the wrong call it got pretty frustrating.

But I'm just not buying "blame the players". Good on the ones who tried to "own it"... but Banks was badly outcoached.

I dont blame the players. I blame the dc

Reactions: sjt18
With Jeremy Banks on the field, I think we would beat USCjr by fiddy

easy to figure out

vandy beat floriduh by 7
floriduh beat socks by 25
vols beat candy by 56

Therefore...Vols over cocks by 88 points.

Last edited:
Reactions: HendoCinco
It’s no secret that if you throw over the top of our secondary you will have success. GA did it with ease and backed off when the rains came. SCar recognized it and came into the game with that as their game plan. It would work again because our secondary is very poor at defending the pass and constantly out of position to make a play.

SC was no fluke, our defense played like they bet everything they had through the Harrah's and Ceasar's gaming app against the spread, takin SC to win straight up and pulling the over/under since there was no NIL lettuce being thrown around on the defensive side of the ball, coming a week after SC managing 2 field goals against Florida,

The CFP is very forgiving to an SEC team that loses one game, but lose 2 games, one a blowout and the chance to make it happen in the CFP is gone, probably won't change much after expansion, CFP is not for teams whose fan base travels well, it is reserved for teams that win football games and lots off them.

After the drubbing this week for Tenn and another big win for them, it was a fluke for Tenn but not for them.

I agree that SC figured something out regarding Banks, but I believe other factors were involved. Our defense played like they didn't want to be there. Also, I would like to think Banks would enter a rematch with a different defensive game plan. It's obvious that the plan he had going into that game sucked.

Don't you think other teams feel the same about us like Alabama? Blindspots make it tough to see the real picture sometimes.

The only excuse I will say is the Jeremy Banks looks like the most critical player on the defense. We will never know but the timing of his loss was impeccable or unimpeccable.

VN Store

Back