Florida State discusses ACC media rights, potential buyout options

Wow, when I was growing up in SW Pa. in the 1970's, Pitt-Penn State was the game of the year. I hated it when Penn State joined the Big 10 - I knew that game would no longer be played every year.
Prior to PSU joining the Big 10, PSU was often forced to play Temple to keep the legislature happy.

Reactions: Pennheel
The ACC will collapse at some point but not sure it is a given the historical football powers in that conference, merit SEC entry. I would take FSU, because it is a national draw in a state we don’t want other conferences in. Florida will have to be convinced however and may veto it. Clemson is a harder sell despite their recent success, and South Carolina doesn’t want them in the conference and expect neither does Georgia.

Otherwise, North Carolina is the biggest prize and is a large, growing southern state that should get an invite and welcomed from everyone. Question is, do we take Duke to accommodate them, lock up the state and improve our basketball pedigree substantially? Vandy would probably love Duke in the conference.

Maryland made a shrewd move several years ago retrospectively when they bolted for the Big 10. Virginia could partner with UNC and bolt despite not fitting culturally with the SEC. But they are in a big market. Virginia Tech’s future depends on others and may be left out much like NC State likely will be.

Thus Florida State and North Carolina seem obvious to me. Virginia, does football success or access to a larger market take priority? If the latter, than they are #3. The remaining one would come from Clemson, Duke, or Virginia Tech. Of those 3, I would take Duke if that is what is required to get UNC. Georgia won’t let Ga. Tech in and Miami doesn’t deserve any consideration in my opinion.

The Big 10 is going to continue to look westward because they want the Stanfords of the world to help attract what their ultimate prize is….Norte Dame. Big 10 grabs Stanford, Notre Dame, Oregon and Washington would make sense to me. The remnants of the Big 12, PAC-12 and ACC may need to carve out some sort of odd alignment to survive.

Reactions: Volfan1000
I think the B1G would take Ga Tech in a heartbeat. Playing games every year in Atlanta? No hesitation.
Also meets their academic standards. If I were the B1G I would go after GT, aTm, or Miami. All three would expand their market and meet their academic standards. Media wise all three would be home runs.

Seems FSU is unhappy with the ACC media payout compared to the SEC/Big 10 payouts and want a bigger share based on their bigger name recognition. This doesn't bode well for the future of the ACC

Florida State Board of Trustees request buyout figure to leave ACC, staggering number returns

"Florida State creates about 15% of the revenue for the conference but only gets a return of 7%"
Can anyone explain to me why FSU states they produce 15% of the ACC revenue. Is that based on population in Florida? I question that figure.

No...Not even close..WVU is a natural fit because of location..It's only real rival is Pitt...USCjr would not be a natural rival to NCST..Not saying they should be in the SEC just saying they are a better fit than NCST
Pitt, and VPI.

North Carolina and Duke would be great additions for the SEC if they decide to expand again.
I agree, Not only would we be the toughest football conference but nobody and i mean nobody could touch the SEC in basketball...Kentucky would be crying all night if they came to the SEC because they wouldn't be the shining star of the SEC anymore.

Reactions: Volfan1000
The ACC will collapse at some point but not sure it is a given the historical football powers in that conference, merit SEC entry. I would take FSU, because it is a national draw in a state we don’t want other conferences in. Florida will have to be convinced however and may veto it. Clemson is a harder sell despite their recent success, and South Carolina doesn’t want them in the conference and expect neither does Georgia.

Otherwise, North Carolina is the biggest prize and is a large, growing southern state that should get an invite and welcomed from everyone. Question is, do we take Duke to accommodate them, lock up the state and improve our basketball pedigree substantially? Vandy would probably love Duke in the conference.

Maryland made a shrewd move several years ago retrospectively when they bolted for the Big 10. Virginia could partner with UNC and bolt despite not fitting culturally with the SEC. But they are in a big market. Virginia Tech’s future depends on others and may be left out much like NC State likely will be.

Thus Florida State and North Carolina seem obvious to me. Virginia, does football success or access to a larger market take priority? If the latter, than they are #3. The remaining one would come from Clemson, Duke, or Virginia Tech. Of those 3, I would take Duke if that is what is required to get UNC. Georgia won’t let Ga. Tech in and Miami doesn’t deserve any consideration in my opinion.

The Big 10 is going to continue to look westward because they want the Stanfords of the world to help attract what their ultimate prize is….Norte Dame. Big 10 grabs Stanford, Notre Dame, Oregon and Washington would make sense to me. The remnants of the Big 12, PAC-12 and ACC may need to carve out some sort of odd alignment to survive.

Virginia would be a great fit for the SEC because they have a solid men's basketball program and they are very good academically and would bring in a solid television market.

Reactions: VOLnMiami

No one really cares what South Carolina wants if we’re being honest.

Reactions: VolNExile
Yeah, who cares about Duke? Very few people in North Carolina certainly. Mabe some in New Jersey. And now with Krzyzewski and Cutcliffe both gone, their athletics are likely trending down.

And UNC is not worth their ego either.
Based on basketball, Duke and North Carolina is the most watched regular season basketball game in the country. The game in February had a higher tv viewership than the the 2 top 10 games that sandwiched it. UNC is probably the most highly coveted school, outside of Notre Dame, in future expansion. I think both would be better fits in the Big 10 though.

Duke was a lot better football team than Cuts previous 4. Elko was ACC COY. Duke football is headed in the right direction. Mack’s crew not so much.

VN Store

Back