Florida State discusses ACC media rights, potential buyout options

WVU brings nothing.
C'mon, they bring couch burning.

iu

Reactions: Hoosier_Vol
UNC will never be in a predicament. UNC is the 2nd most coveted program available for expansion, behind Notre Dame. Just saying that State fans would try to screw UNC fans if possible.

Right, and I agree that the fans would. I was just pointing out that with who actually creates its Board, it would be highly unlikely for NC State (the university) to be the first to do such.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Prior to the first SEC expansion 1991, UT and UGA played a grand total of 10 times as SEC members and didn't play once for 3 decades between 1937 and 1968.

The grand ole days included a lot of SEC teams not playing frequently.

Though to be fair, UT also played Auburn and Ole Miss a whole lot more than they would after the 1992 expansion.

Would love to see that, but objectively GT adds little in terms of athletics at this point.

They do have a name and location in their favor though.

Realistically and culturally, they are more of a B10 school by this point.

If the ACC does implode-GT, Duke, NC State, Wake, and BC are going to be the interesting cases. I would assume Duke gets into the B10 on basketball alone and GT based on location alone. NcSt, Wake, and BC-what the heck do you do with them? B12 is their only shot.

Edit-left out Pitt. I'm assuming they go B10, or does Penn State have some kinda black ball power there? Sorry, I dunno the politics yinz have up there with other schools..

Pitt brings nothing to the Big 10 additional revenue-wise. If the ACC were to completely fall apart, Pitt would be pretty much looking at the Big 12 and the American Athletic Conference as its options, unfortunately.

Wake Forest and Boston College would likely be in a similar boat.

Unless they’ve found some super duper way to finagle themselves out from under the ACC’s GOR, they aren’t going anywhere for another 13 years.

All the very public bluster and the “Don’t ask how we’ll leave, just watch us [leave]!” leads me to think they have not….

Reactions: UTwild82
This is a valid concern in conference hopping

Field hockey, fencing, lacrosse, rowing, and wrestling are all scholarship sports the ACC offers that the SEC does not. Probably some Title IX implications so not just an impact on men's sports

Though the SEC does offer equestrian which the ACC does not; we got that going for us

To be fair, a lot of schools work around this by housing those programs in another conference that’s willing to include the school just as an affiliate member for that sport/those sports (for example, when Missouri left the Big 12 to join the SEC, its Wrestling program became part of the Middle American Conference for 8 years…before somewhat surprisingly becoming part of the Big 12 again in 2021).

Found this slide from the FSU presentation. Obviously Clemson and FSU are the 2 most watched ACC football programs but sort of surprised at how the rest of the ranking goes particularly with how low NCSU is and how high Miami and Louisville are.

11643434.png

Actually, I am thinking the opposite. If FSU was jumping to the SEC, they would not have gone public with their complaints in this manner. I think they are putting pressure on ACC to renegotiate the TV deal.

Bingo (or well, not the TV deal renegotiation). Their statement of “don’t ask how, just watch” (or whatever it was) pretty much just amounts to “I’ll do it! I’m not sure how I’ll do it but I’ll do it!

All the very public bluster and the “Don’t ask how we’ll leave, just watch us [leave]!” leads me to think they have not….

I kinda agree with you, but the toothpaste is out of the tube now.

Even if the ACC came out on top on a protracted court battle, the league is gone in ten years-or at least FSU and Clemson will be gone. Are they even a viable conference without those two teams? I would say yes and no. Their P5 status certainly goes bye bye though.

Ten years "seems" like a long time, but for those playing chess it's not. Announcements would come out after 5 years or so of teams leaving and the ACC would spend the last part of the decade in a slow motion funeral. In some ways, the mountains of press clippings about the death of the league would be worse than the teams leaving. Death by 1000 papercuts.

FSU and Clemson leave, VT and UNC are gonna start looking for an off ramp. Duke will go wherever UNC goes. Miami is still living in 1991
They still have a name, but do they really bring eyeballs at this point?

The best bet for survival the ACC might have is extorting as much money as possible from the Seminoles and Tigers, grabbing a few other teams and trying to make a go of it.

Found this slide from the FSU presentation. Obviously Clemson and FSU are the 2 most watched ACC football programs but sort of surprised at how the rest of the ranking goes particularly with how low NCSU is and how high Miami and Louisville are.

11643434.png

The Miami numbers are intriguing because the vast, vast majority of their fans have no idea where the school even is, much less had they ever set foot on it. In a way I guess it makes sense because that team is living off its brand from 20 years ago, not itself as an institution.

11643434.png

Miami is a small private school.

Consider it a slightly larger version of Wake Forest with more homegrown blue chip talent and a beach with topless women…which could also explain the low TV viewer numbers. 🤨

Last edited:
The Miami numbers are intriguing because the vast, vast majority of their fans have no idea where the school even is, much less had they ever set foot on it. In a way I guess it makes sense because that team is living off its brand from 20 years ago, not itself as an institution.

It's not totally surprising. Miami plays FSU every year. So that's an annual game that was never on the ACC Network, thus it's included in their average for every year. But not only was it never relegated to the ACCN, in 7 of the 9 included seasons the game was on ABC, and usually in prime time.

It's not totally surprising. Miami plays FSU every year. So that's an annual game that was never on the ACC Network, thus it's included in their average for every year. But not only was it never relegated to the ACCN, in 7 of the 9 included seasons the game was on ABC, and usually in prime time.

It has been a long time since either of them was in the hunt for a national championship. I remember when it was the norm that both were, at the same time.

Now? Lucky if either is even in the Top 25, much less a serious contender.

An argument can be made that Miami was doomed to this eventual also-ran status. They had the right mix of notoriety, culture, and talent at just the right time to put it together but with that tiny actual went-to-school-there fan base I think they were a certainty to fade.

FSU can trace its demise to exactly two things: retirement of Bobby Bowden and joining the ACC. Take your pick as to which one was the primary cause.

Wouldn't NOT being on the ACC network be beneficial for audience numbers though? Honestly, I didn't even realize it was even available here until I was flipping through the higher up channels or whatever looking for the SEC alternate channel last year

Does the ACC network come included with a normal cable package anywhere? I mean the SEC network has come included with my package in Texas and Nevada of all places. Texas makes sense now of
course, but ten years ago?

I doubt I would pay $12 a month for the SEC network much less for the ACC network. $150 a year to watch one game and maybe occasionally a game or two I care nothing about? No thanks

I kinda agree with you, but the toothpaste is out of the tube now.

Even if the ACC came out on top on a protracted court battle, the league is gone in ten years-or at least FSU and Clemson will be gone. Are they even a viable conference without those two teams? I would say yes and no. Their P5 status certainly goes bye bye though.

Ten years "seems" like a long time, but for those playing chess it's not. Announcements would come out after 5 years or so of teams leaving and the ACC would spend the last part of the decade in a slow motion funeral. In some ways, the mountains of press clippings about the death of the league would be worse than the teams leaving. Death by 1000 papercuts.

FSU and Clemson leave, VT and UNC are gonna start looking for an off ramp. Duke will go wherever UNC goes. Miami is still living in 1991
They still have a name, but do they really bring eyeballs at this point?

The best bet for survival the ACC might have is extorting as much money as possible from the Seminoles and Tigers, grabbing a few other teams and trying to make a go of it.
In 10 years the Supreme Court will have ruled that college football and basketball players are employees of the school. At that point only the B1G and SEC schools will be strong enough financially via TV revenue to pay the quickly unionized players and establish the "NFL Lite."

Even then I expect that schools like Vandy, Northwestern, etc will opt out or be pushed out because they're useless to their conferences now but REALLY useless when salary caps, revenue sharing, etc become involved.

The conference expansion now is so teams can get in the B1G or SEC and can vie to be part of the post-NCAA league.

In 10 years the Supreme Court will have ruled that college football and basketball players are employees of the school. At that point only the B1G and SEC schools will be strong enough financially via TV revenue to pay the quickly unionized players and establish the "NFL Lite."

Even then I expect that schools like Vandy, Northwestern, etc will opt out or be pushed out because they're useless to their conferences now but REALLY useless when salary caps, revenue sharing, etc become involved.

The conference expansion now is so teams can get in the B1G or SEC and can vie to be part of the post-NCAA league.

I don't know about the mechanism or the timing you laid out but I agree it is inevitable that the strong schools with economic power will rise even further while the little ones fall further behind. Economically ruled out some day? Possible.

I don't know about the mechanism or the timing you laid out but I agree it is inevitable that the strong schools with economic power will rise even further while the little ones fall further behind. Economically ruled out some day? Possible.
At least as the "top level" schools are concerned which is where the big TV revenue will be centered and where the talent will go. It's true now that it costs money (NIL) for talent but with the unionization of players as employees, including negotiations for the TV revenue, smaller conferences won't be able to afford a decent payroll. Employee age discrimination laws will quickly do away with the "student athlete" model. I also suspect it's not legal to force an employee to pay for and attend classes that have nothing to do with their job.

Pro college teams is not a pretty future.

Friend of a nameless friend of an uncle I take it?
No. This guy is actually pretty legit . Not sure how he has his connections, but he said 6 months before it happened that USC and UCLA would be headed to the B1G.

VN Store

Back