Florida State discusses ACC media rights, potential buyout options

I don't get the desire for these mega conferences, 20 teams why? How many seasons would it take to play every team in the conference? Not to mention traditional rivalries would have to go by the wayside.
Yeah I dont really see how the mega conferences work. I think you would still have the "old sec" and then the "new sec", where being in the SEC may not mean as much to everyone. Maybe some type of tiered membership or something.

I wouldnt mind a "play in" situation. Basically still have two conferences. A real SEC and a losers bracket SEC. Stick to 10 teams in the real SEC, make it round Robin. The losers bracket SEC is however big. Every 5 years, you "drop" the averaged bottom 4 or so teams from the real SEC and bring up the top 4 in the losers bracket.

As long as I am talking crazy I would think the mega conferences will need playoff championships. So maybe it's the top 3 from the real SEC with an automatic qualifier from the losers bracket SEC get into a 4 team playoff. Go to 11 regular season games to offset the new expanded regular season.

Of course it is, I just think mega conferences will reduce interest in the game.
Of course it will.

I believe we should have went to a D1 Platinum of the top 32/48 teams and then everyone else in the D1 Bronze. The Platinimum should be split in east / west or North / south divisions. They would command the top money and the bottom feeders would have been left in D1 Bronze. This is really what FSU/Clemson are complaining about in football…too many ACC bottom feeders taking dollars.

This is the great reset that started when conferences went to 12 teams to get conference playoffs but unfortunately this process to get to a Platinum league is too slow and maybe won’t happen in my lifetime.

The big problem is broadcast And streaming are all losing money so the money for the weaker conferences is going to start drying up.

I don't get the desire for these mega conferences, 20 teams why? How many seasons would it take to play every team in the conference? Not to mention traditional rivalries would have to go by the wayside.
Prior to the first SEC expansion 1991, UT and UGA played a grand total of 10 times as SEC members and didn't play once for 3 decades between 1937 and 1968.

The grand ole days included a lot of SEC teams not playing frequently.

Last edited:
Bring the North Avenue Trade School back to the SEC. Do not want B1G schools traipsing through Atlanta on a regular basis.

Would love to see that, but objectively GT adds little in terms of athletics at this point.

They do have a name and location in their favor though.

Realistically and culturally, they are more of a B10 school by this point.

If the ACC does implode-GT, Duke, NC State, Wake, and BC are going to be the interesting cases. I would assume Duke gets into the B10 on basketball alone and GT based on location alone. NcSt, Wake, and BC-what the heck do you do with them? B12 is their only shot.

Edit-left out Pitt. I'm assuming they go B10, or does Penn State have some kinda black ball power there? Sorry, I dunno the politics yinz have up there with other schools..

Would love to see that, but objectively GT adds little in terms of athletics at this point.

If the ACC does implode-GT, Duke, NC State, Wake, and BC are going to be the interesting cases. I would assume Duke gets into the B10 on basketball alone and GT based on location alone. NcSt, Wake, and BC-what the heck do you do with them? B12 is their only shot.

Edit-left out Pitt. I'm assuming they go B10, or does Penn State have some kinda black ball power there? Sorry, I dunno the politics yinz have up there with other schools..
Agree GT does not add anything. I am thinking solely of keeping B1G teams from playing in front of Atlanta area recruits on a regular basis.

NC State could be a potential target for the SEC. It would be a bordering state that has a huge alumni base and would expand the TV footprint. As I said in a previous post, NC State is more of a cultural fit in the SEC than UNC, Duke, UVA or Georgia Tech. However, I could see those 4 teams in the B1G. They have somewhat “likeminded“ institutions.

Reactions: tbwhhs
NC State could be a potential target for the SEC. It would be a bordering state that has a huge alumni base and would expand the TV footprint. As I said in a previous post, NC State is more of a cultural fit in the SEC than UNC, Duke, UVA or Georgia Tech. However, I could see those 4 teams in the B1G. They have somewhat “likeminded“ institutions.
NC State isn't going anywhere wthout UNC.

Maybe not, but they’d like to. Similar to aTm and Texas, they hate being in UNC’s shadow. They would love nothing more than to stick it to Carolina.
They would be like a fish out of water in the SEC...Esp by themselves...No natural rivalries and nobody would take them serious in anything...If anything the SEC could stick it to all of them and take WVU who is a natural fit in the SEC...bunch of trailer trash broken toothed rednecks who would be hated by probably every team in the SEC lol...They could start up a rivalry with Kentucky...Hatfield and the Mccoys right there!

Of course it will.

I believe we should have went to a D1 Platinum of the top 32/48 teams and then everyone else in the D1 Bronze. The Platinimum should be split in east / west or North / south divisions. They would command the top money and the bottom feeders would have been left in D1 Bronze. This is really what FSU/Clemson are complaining about in football…too many ACC bottom feeders taking dollars.

This is the great reset that started when conferences went to 12 teams to get conference playoffs but unfortunately this process to get to a Platinum league is too slow and maybe won’t happen in my lifetime.

The big problem is broadcast And streaming are all losing money so the money for the weaker conferences is going to start drying up.
What needs to happen is Title IX to die. That way smaller schools could focus on whatever sports they want to. Let the big schools maintain multiple sports if they want.

When schools figure out this NIL process enough and can replace scholarship money with NIL deals they are going to be able to drop their support for a lot of sports anyway.

Reactions: tbh
They would be like a fish out of water in the SEC...Esp by themselves...No natural rivalries and nobody would take them serious in anything...If anything the SEC could stick it to all of them and take WVU who is a natural fit in the SEC...bunch of trailer trash broken toothed rednecks who would be hated by probably every team in the SEC lol...They could start up a rivalry with Kentucky...Hatfield and the Mccoys right there!
How is WVU a natural fit ? Wouldn't NCSU and SCAR be as much of a rivalry as UK/WVU?

And why select a university in a state with one of the smallest populations in the US and is the only state that has been steadily losing people since the 1950's? Just the Raleigh/Durham Triangle area has a population greater then the entire state of West Virginia and North Carolina has over 5 times as many people as West Virginia

How is WVU a natural fit ? Wouldn't NCSU and SCAR be as much of a rivalry as UK/WVU?

And why select a university in a state with one of the smallest populations in the US and is the only state that has been steadily losing people since the 1950's? Just the Raleigh/Durham Triangle area has a population greater then the entire state of West Virginia and North Carolina has over 5 times as many people as West Virginia
I think he means they are the only fans in the nation more classless than Bama fans.

Bama fans will kill each other. But WVU fans beat a pregnant woman.

Maybe not, but they’d like to. Similar to aTm and Texas, they hate being in UNC’s shadow. They would love nothing more than to stick it to Carolina.

The fans would, but that’s not the case with those actually in charge of the school. 8 or so of the 13 people making up their Board are literally selected and put in place by UNC. Texas-A&M isn’t an apt comparison here, outside of perhaps fans disliking each other. They’re not making any moves that puts UNC in any sort of predicament (i.e., unless UNC already has a cushy, safe landing spot afterwards).

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
No...Not even close..WVU is a natural fit because of location..It's only real rival is Pitt...USCjr would not be a natural rival to NCST..Not saying they should be in the SEC just saying they are a better fit than NCST

The fans would, but that’s not the case with those actually in charge of the school. 8 or so of the 13 people making up their Board are literally selected and put in place by UNC. Texas-A&M isn’t an apt comparison here, outside of perhaps fans disliking each other. They’re not making any moves that puts UNC in any sort of predominantly Uh huh HH h(i.e., unless UNC already has a cushy, safe landing spot afterwards).
UNC will never be in a predicament. UNC is the 2nd most coveted program available for expansion, behind Notre Dame. Just saying that State fans would try to screw UNC fans if possible.

Prior to the first SEC expansion 1991, UT and UGA played a grand total of 10 times as SEC members and didn't play once for 3 decades between 1937 and 1968.

The grand ole days included a lot of SEC teams not playing frequently.

Completely different back then as far as television broadcasting games. If you lived outside of the local area (where the game was being played) you were lucky to see it on TV.

Reactions: TrueOrange
WVU brings nothing to the Big 12 and essentially no eyeballs to the SEC.

It's about bringing dollars/eyeballs to the TV deals. Nothing more, nothing less. We added TX and OU for the viewers and money they will bring.

WVU brings nothing.

Reactions: SpookyAction
Several more reports today that the B1G is definitely going hard at Oregon and Stanford along with possibly Cal and Washington
With the B1G going west right now, I would like to see the SEC go for UNC and VA. They are schools the B1G might go after in "our" territory.

The B1G won't take FSU unless they get an AAU bid and the only other school they might come after is Duke, which they can have. UNC and VA bring strong athletic depts, eyeballs, and academics. It's better for us to get them before the B1G comes after them.

VN Store

Back