Florida State discusses ACC media rights, potential buyout options

One Problem is that the ACC fields a lot of men’s sports that the SEC doesn’t and those schools will have to determine what to do with those sports.

This is a valid concern in conference hopping

Field hockey, fencing, lacrosse, rowing, and wrestling are all scholarship sports the ACC offers that the SEC does not. Probably some Title IX implications so not just an impact on men's sports

Though the SEC does offer equestrian which the ACC does not; we got that going for us

Huskers ain’t leaving the B1G on their own, way too much media money at stake.

I think the B1G goes after Oregon, Stanford, FSU and possibly Washington and someone like Georgia Tech or Kansas.

If the BIG were to take FSU, then conference realignment truly goes to full-blown nation-wide conferences. I’d expect they want a foothold in the South to go along with their West Coast expansion. I’d expect a few other ACC schools to join.

In that scenario, the SEC would have to respond. Take UNC or NC State and UVA or VT. Solidify the non-SEC southern states. Then I would expect a westward expansion from us. I think the strategic move is to invite Oregon, Washington, and 2 of the 4-corners schools (Colorado, Arizona, ASU, or Utah).

This is a war of consolidation over markets & brands. The SEC struck first with Texas & Oklahoma. BIG countered with USC & UCLA, while also rendering the only other truly viable power conference completely neutered. The Big XVII and ACC are on borrowed time, but now so is the PAC. Those conferences may survive, but will only be a shadow of their former selves.

SEC needs to make the next big splash, isolating the BIG’s west coast teams by adding the remaining big-time PAC programs & markets (Denver, Phoenix, Seattle, etc.).

These consolidations ensure the SEC and BIG both get about 5-6 teams in the CFB Playoffs EVERY year, nearly comprising the entire field. That is a lot of money to be made.

I know why conference realignment is popular,and get why it's done (money,big city TV market revenue),and Pandora's Box is open regarding it.... However, in the case of a program like Florida St,it makes no sense. Like already mentioned before, they already have their chance 30 years ago to join the SEC,but elected not to. Sometimes,life just isn't fair. They made the bed they're in so let them deal with it. Super conferences are coming very soon,but this is just silly.

Reactions: oz615
Texas bullied the Big 12 into a favorable media revenue deal, as I recall, and created all kinds of bad blood in the conference.

I don't know where FSU thinks it might jump to if it left the ACC. It certainly would hurt recruiting in that area for SEC schools if there was another SEC school in Florida and I'm not convinced FSU brings enough new TV eyeballs anyway.
DUH, the SEC of course! And it would not make any difference in recruiting. Then go grab UNC, VT, and Miami for 20 teams or 4 more: Duke, UVA, NC ST OR Clemson BUT not both. Clemson consistently score VERY poorly in all media metrics! Or if the league wants to go rogue, then grab PITT, Cincy Louisville etc. to secure markets overlapping Big 10 ACC

Unless they’ve found some super duper way to finagle themselves out from under the ACC’s GOR, they aren’t going anywhere for another 13 years.
In 13 years......it won't matter.

College Football will look nothing like it does today.

UF, UGA and USC have a pact to block FSU, Yech, and Clemson.
That "black ball" thing didn't do A&M much good in keeping Texas out.

benjamins.png

I hope the SEC bands together to keep them out. They had their opportunity but their football god bowden said it’s easier to win a championship in the All Criminal Conference

1. Ouch. 20 million. Vandy is getting what, 48 million this year from the SEC?
2. I think they are bluffing about having an easy out. They would just do it and move to much greener pastures if that was the case.
I think it’s an extra $20 million on top of the current payout. If the beginning of the end hasn’t already started for the ACC, FSU and Clemson just started the bleeding out process. Personally, I hate it. I grew up in the heart of ACC basketball country, during the hay day of the 80’s and 90’s of ACC and college basketball. I know that this is completely football driven, but it’s still sad to me to see first Maryland leave and the eventual demolition of a once great conference with a storied history.

1. Ouch. 20 million. Vandy is getting what, 48 million this year from the SEC?
2. I think they are bluffing about having an easy out. They would just do it and move to much greener pastures if that was the case.
Paying the $120 million exit fee to leave is probably doable given the additional money they would get from the SEC or Big 10.

The real issue according to what I've seen is all the ACC members have surrendered their TV rights to the ACC until 2036 with no escape process laid out.

"The key issue for FSU, as a reminder, has been the ironclad Grant of Rights (GOR) that all ACC teams re-signed in 2016. The agreement “irrevocably and exclusively grants to the conference during the term all rights necessary for the conference to perform the contractual obligations of the conference expressly set forth in the ESPN agreement,” which basically means any money a school makes from a TV broadcast belongs to the ACC until 2036."

“Something has to change:” FSU AD Michael Alford talks ACC financial outlook

This pretty much means it's happening, and they aren't going to the B12 or P12. It would be a huge get for B1G to add some Southern exposure. but I suspect it will result in FSU going to SEC and part of SEC going to 20-24 Megaconference. It would also cause an implosion in the ACC with likes of Clemson, Miami, NC and Duke joining the exodus.

If enough members decide to disband the ACC then the B1G, SEC and possibly B12 could absorb them in some mix where B1G gets some Southern teams and SEC gets some Northern ones to increase footprint of both.

If the ACC doesn't disband yet loses a couple of the best money schools like FSU, Clemson, and NC then it will be the slow kill for the remaining teams and universities.

Really what needs to happen is one of the Power 5 needs to be dissolved.

Actually, I am thinking the opposite. If FSU was jumping to the SEC, they would not have gone public with their complaints in this manner. I think they are putting pressure on ACC to renegotiate the TV deal.

I see Duke, UNC, UVA and GT fitting in with the B1G better than the SEC. At least I do culturally and academically. I feel like Clemson, FSU, NC State and Virginia Tech feel more like SEC schools. Can you imagine the amount of smug from the B1G if they added those schools and Notre Dame. It would be unbearable. And then if they threw in Stanford and Cal? Wow. They just rename the B1G to FIGJAM.

This isn't an unrealistic post from happening but that SMUGness would create division and likely destroy the B1G. I could see Ohio State eventually jumping to the SEC in that scenario as Ohio State would be driven mad by Cal, Stanford, etc. Ohio State already made a big fuss about how the B1G acted in 2020 with COVID-19 and not wanting to play. (Nebraska did as well but they are less important to the B1G versus Ohio State).

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
This isn't an unrealistic post from happening but that SMUGness would create division and likely destroy the B1G. I could see Ohio State eventually jumping to the SEC in that scenario as Ohio State would be driven mad by Cal, Stanford, etc. Ohio State already made a big fuss about how the B1G acted in 2020 with COVID-19 and not wanting to play. (Nebraska did as well but they are less important to the B1G versus Ohio State).
I think whoever the next commissioner of the B1G will be will let the newbys know who runs the show. That’s Ohio State and Michigan. They bring the viewers and they are the reason for the $. Ohio State could always threaten to leave, but it would be hard to tear them away.

Looks like the start of another SEC expansion.
FSU and UNC maybe?
UNC is the crown jewel, outside of Notre Dame, in the next round of expansion. The question would be is who goes with Carolina to which conference? A lot of people see UVA w/ UNC and maybe Duke. Not sure the politics involved w/ NC State and Carolina.

I honestly wouldn’t hate to see FSU go to the Big 12, or maybe Miami. I don’t see Miami as an SEC fit at all.

VN Store

Back