Florida Meningococcal Outbreak Among Gay and Bisexual Men Is One Of Worst in US History: CDC

Franklin Pierce

The CDC is reporting 24 cases of meningococcal in the United States with 6 deaths among gay and bisexual men

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is investigating one of the worst meningococcal outbreaks among gay and bisexual men in U.S. history, according to a recent press release.

"Getting vaccinated against meningococcal disease is the best way to prevent this serious illness, which can quickly become deadly," said Dr. José R. Romero, director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases.

"Because of the outbreak in Florida, and the number of Pride events being held across the state in coming weeks, it’s important that gay and bisexual men who live in Florida get vaccinated, and those traveling to Florida talk to their healthcare provider about getting a MenACWY vaccine."  

iStock-547410420.jpg

Holding a test tube with blood in it. Handwritten label with HIV on it with the negative tick box crossed. (iStock)

The CDC is also monitoring a monkeypox outbreak in countries that normally don’t report the disease, with early data showing high numbers among gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men.

Florida meningococcal outbreak among gay and bisexual men is one of worst in US history: CDC

Reactions: 508mikey
“Meningococcal septicemia, also known as meningococcemia, causes bleeding into the skin and other organs as the bacteria multiply and destroy the walls of blood vessels, which often leads to a dusky, purple rash in the later stages of the disease.”

The gift that keeps on giving.

Reactions: AM64
I guess you shouldn’t and neither do I. Just saying how to reduce the spread of another disease primarily spread among a certain group.
Human interaction is the cause of most disease spreading. Heterosexuals aren't excluded. And if they put a condom on it's probably nothing. Do we want to talk about HPV?

Human interaction is the cause of most disease spreading. Heterosexuals aren't excluded. And if they put a condom on it's probably nothing. Do we want to talk about HPV?
It does crack me up….. when I was younger…. They use to teach against anal sex bc it’s not natural and unhealthy( directed towards straight and homosexuals)…. They won’t mention it at all now bc they don’t want to offend people… Similar to them not wanting to talk about healthy lifestyles bc they don’t want to offend fat people.

If that's what they want to do why do I care?

I remember just like it was yesterday when they said it was none of our business what 2 consenting adults do in their bedroom. Now years later they’re grooming and abusing kids not to mention the amount of taxpayer $’s blown on butt sex diseases.

I remember just like it was yesterday when they said it was none of our business what 2 consenting adults do in their bedroom. Now years later they’re grooming and abusing kids not to mention the amount of taxpayer $’s blown on butt sex diseases.

Not only that; dems have moved the theater of the perverse out of the bedroom into the open and we still aren't supposed to criticize it. It's like don't involve others in your personal life is a very one way street when it comes to sexual harassment. For straight white people it's keep your mouth shut, hands off, zipper up and locked; but for all others flaunt it if you got it.

Not only that; dems have moved the theater of the perverse out of the bedroom into the open and we still aren't supposed to criticize it. It's like don't involve others in your personal life is a very one way street when it comes to sexual harassment. For straight white people it's keep your mouth shut, hands off, zipper up and locked; but for all others flaunt it if you got it.
One day, you will realize who the enemies of humanity are...and it isn't the folks in sandals herding goats or Boris and Natasha. Your neighbors and fellow countrymen are your worst enemy.

One day, you will realize who the enemies of humanity are...and it isn't the folks in sandals herding goats or Boris and Natasha. Your neighbors and fellow countrymen are your worst enemy.

I don't disagree with the immediacy factor, but I'm not quite as sold as you overall. My neighbors are pretty sane; as you says our "fellow" countrymen can be pretty suspect in their judgement; Boris keeps pointy things pointed at us and threatens annihilation with them; and some of those sandal wearers don't mind inflicting some pain from time to time either. Honestly I do agree with you on a lot of our misadventures off in somebody else's desert while neglecting our own borders.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Because of the outbreak in Florida, and the number of Pride events being held across the state in coming weeks, it’s important that gay and bisexual men who live in Florida get vaccinated, and those traveling to Florida talk to their healthcare provider about getting a vaccine. The CDC is also monitoring a monkeypox outbreak in countries that normally don’t report the disease, with early data showing high numbers among gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men.

Florida meningococcal outbreak among gay and bisexual men is one of worst in US history: CDC

When in East TN, don’t feed the bears. When in Florida, don’t f*** the monkeys.

“Meningococcal septicemia, also known as meningococcemia, causes bleeding into the skin and other organs as the bacteria multiply and destroy the walls of blood vessels, which often leads to a dusky, purple rash in the later stages of the disease.”

The gift that keeps on giving.

It seems this would be more difficult to recognize in some African Americans and other darker skinned people.

Reactions: norrislakevol

VN Store

Back