Florida Georgia Bama

A true rivalry is not determined by the outcome.

Navy can beat Army 20 years in a row and it would still be a rivalry.

I don’t think Florida-Tennessee is a rivalry and have made the case why several times and it has nothing to do with who has won or lost

A true rivalry is not determined by the outcome.

Navy can beat Army 20 years in a row and it would still be a rivalry.

I don’t think Florida-Tennessee is a rivalry and have made the case why several times and it has nothing to do with who has won or lost
Who do you consider Florida's rivals then and why?

When you run a program into the dirt like this administration has over the last 15-20 years this is what you get. Now make sure you buy those overpriced seats and continue supporting their incompetence.. The fans blindly supported it all the way through til now. The attendance will suffer for it at this point..

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
I guess it depends on if the word rival is used as a noun or a verb?:confused:

To me........A true rival has a lot to do with pure hatred.
Florida State/Florida
Austin Peay/Mu**ay State
Alabama/Auburn
Harvard/Yale

Tennessee/Alabama/Florida/Vanderbilt/Georgia/Kentucky
UT fans hate a lot of schools:)

rival | INTERMEDIATE ENGLISH

rival
noun [ C ]

US

/ˈrɑɪ·vəl/

a person, group, or organization competing with others for the same thing or in the same area:
business/political rivals

rival
verb [ T ]

US

/ˈrɑɪ·vəl/

to equal or be as good as:

Last edited:
A coach most of us dislike, Spurrier, when asked about Florida's sports rivalries: 'well its not a rivalry when one team wins all the time'. Not sure if he was talking of the TN rivalry or just in general.

By definition, every team they face is a rival at that time.

I think the game has to matter and the advent of the two divisions and championship game changed things. Florida became a "rival" and Alabama not so much because you could lose that game and still play for a championship, but the Florida game usually decided who represented the East.

On the flip side, in the traditional sense, Kentucky is a rival because of the geographic proximity and it kind of makes sense. It was/is always cold when they play, and the keg trophy was awesome. Similar to Arkansas vs LSU, Texas vs Oklahoma. They also started checkerboarding their end zone, which kind of pissed me off. Vandy is a rival because it is an in state battle, like Clemson vs South Carolina or Michigan vs Michigan State.

I don't think about Georgia at all.

I’ll never understand the obsession that many UT fans have duty wallowing in negativity. If it doesn’t bring you joy, get rid of it.
Being a Vol fan has brought us very little joy since 2008 but we are still fans. We can be critical and miserable if we want to I will be a Vol fan till the day I die hopefully better days are ahead god knows the still loyal Tenneseee fans deserve a good stretch.

Who do you consider Florida's rivals then and why?

Florida State
Georgia
Miami

In simplest terms, a rivalry is typically one where if you lose, you are going to catch hell at school, at work, in the neighborhood, the grocery store, etc.

I compared the Florida-Tennessee game to the Patriots-Colts. For a while, it was heated because of what was at stake. But, that was fleeting. No one considers the Patriots and Colts to be rivals now.

Whereas, Browns-Steelers is forever. The fact that the Browns haven’t been good and the Steelers have is totally irrelevant. That’s a rivalry.

If you’re asking how Cowboys-Eagles can be a rivalry, it’s because Cowboys fans are everywhere. It doesn’t have to be a geographic deal.

But, and it’s just one man’s opinion, it’s got to hit home in your living room to be a real rivalry.

You won’t see me calling LSU a rival either

Last edited:
Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
"Florida State blah blah blah, geographical yada yada yada, Georgia because of win/loss record blah blah blah".

If our record was even with the gatorsuck, the trolls story would be different.

#dontletthegatorsuckfoolya

#1. I’ve had this opinion for years.

#2. In what world would Tennessee ever be a bigger rival for Florida than Georgia or Florida State? It’s not an insult to say those rivalries mean more.

Being a Vol fan has brought us very little joy since 2008 but we are still fans. We can be critical and miserable if we want to I will be a Vol fan till the day I die hopefully better days are ahead god knows the still loyal Tenneseee fans deserve a good stretch.

No one said you couldn't. I just don't understand wallowing in misery.

I agree with your point about 97-06 but there is a bit of a difference. Although we won most of those games they at least had a chance to win. At this point we haven't really had a chance to win majority of the games against Alabama. So no to me this isn't a rivalry anymore.

2019 still chaps my *** because we had a legitimate shot until the officials took over and JG decided to go rogue.

We won't be competitive with any of the 3 on the field or recruiting trail for some time, so no....they aren't considered rivals anymore.
. Sadly I agree we will not compete with them for the rest of this decade at least. You can count on three blowouts a year.

Do we still consider these teams our rivals presently ? Or is it South Carolina , Kentucky and Vandy now

How many times has South Carolina, Kentucky, amd vandy won the East of late? Florida and Georgia are our primary rivals because when we want to accomplish goes through them. I hate the fact that we have the permanent cross division game with bama. It just makes us winning the East so much more challenging. The conference has expanded and changed multiple times since that game was initially established

Reactions: USF grad in TN
I’ll never understand the obsession that many UT fans have duty wallowing in negativity. If it doesn’t bring you joy, get rid of it.

+1000

I get being realistic. I don't get simply lying down and expecting a beating, or conceding ANYTHING. Some Vols in here seem to enjoy touting how much better certain programs are than we are at this point. I just don't have that in me.

But, if praising uga and the Gumps makes you happy, go for it!

I’m with you Greg…this is still America and the constitution provides the right to one’s opinion (at least for the moment) but it’s hard for me to live in a vat of negativity and discouragement like that. How miserable that must be day in and out. We have a baseball team playing great and about to play in the Super Regionals but we want to wallow in the “woe is me” sty of football. JMO of course.

Since we are in the SEC East and Bama is in the West and we play every year someone besides me thinks they are our biggest rival!!!!

Are y’all afraid to play Bama? Why do y’all think Bama owns us? Because they out work us!!!! That’s coaches and players!!!!

VN Store

Back