Florida Gator game

Oh quit, you know there is some weird stigma about how we seem to go full retard against Florida a large percentage of the time. Look at 2019, we at least played competent football in every game that year (yes, even against Georgia State, we still executed some things well), against Florida we mustered up 3 points.

2018 was similar, we played in some good games that year, including giving Georgia a fight, we looked like we had never played football when we faced Florida.

In 2016, they let Georgia score on a bomb with 10 seconds left. A year later, Florida scores on a bomb with time expired. Two years after that, they let BYU get in field goal range by letting someone get by everyone with little time on the clock.

They have repeated epic level mistakes on numerous occasions

At this point I have no explanation for the way Florida has absolutely dominated TN since 1990. I mean even at our absolute strongest, we could only barely beat them.

I am convinced that UF could have a HS SR playing QB and still beat us. I honestly have zero faith or hope that we will beat UF in the next 10-15 years.

Reactions: memtownvol
It is deeply unsettling to me the quality of play we muster against the Gators. Far too many mistakes.

I remember a poster here some 5-8 years ago saying Florida brings out the stupid in us. Aptly stated I think.

I can think of any number of games where we were the better team and should have won but made atrocious plays and lost. This has to stop.

Please play smarter. We can do this. Heupel needs to make us a smarter team. I firmly believe this can be done.

This Fall I want to see a smarter, improved executing team.

Then we can beat Florida among others.
We actually played Florida fairly decently last year, it was one of our better games.

Reactions: Jaws
At this point I have no explanation for the way Florida has absolutely dominated TN since 1990. I mean even at our absolute strongest, we could only barely beat them.

I am convinced that UF could have a HS SR playing QB and still beat us. I honestly have zero faith or hope that we will beat UF in the next 10-15 years.
At our "absolute strongest" we got blown out by them. 1995-1997. You must be thinking of the 2001 game. It can be argued that 1990 was one of our most talented teams. That team won 45-7

Reactions: HalfullVol
In 2016, they let Georgia score on a bomb with 10 seconds left. A year later, Florida scores on a bomb with time expired. Two years after that, they let BYU get in field goal range by letting someone get by everyone with little time on the clock.

They have repeated epic level mistakes on numerous occasions

I don’t disagree with this, but it also isn’t really a relevant response to what I said.

I don’t disagree with this, but it also isn’t really a relevant response to what I said.

The relevance is that most would consider the Hail Mary in 2017 as evidence to your point, a rare fluke event that happened to occur against Florida.....except that Tennessee did the same thing in 2016 against Georgia and 2019 against BYU.

So, my point isn't that I disagree with anyone that they play dumb against Florida. My point is that's who Tennessee has been. They don't reserve it for Florida week.

I think Spurrier got in our head and we've never been able to shake it ever since. When he said you can't spell citrus without UT, we believed him. And now the Florida game is magnified beyond all proportion and if one thing goes wrong, we mentally unravel.

The relevance is that most would consider the Hail Mary in 2017 as evidence to your point, a rare fluke event that happened to occur against Florida.....except that Tennessee did the same thing in 2016 against Georgia and 2019 against BYU.

So, my point isn't that I disagree with anyone that they play dumb against Florida. My point is that's who Tennessee has been. They don't reserve it for Florida week.
Actually I think most of us would consider those games a result of bad coaching.

Assuming you’re talking about the long Burton TD run, that play only tied the score with well over a quarter left to play. You woulda thought it was a walk off TD in overtime.

iirc, it was because we doink’d the XP on our previous TD and when Burton tied it up on an 80 yard straight up “catch the snap and run right”, it make us all think “Okay, things are going against us and this is how we lose games like this.” The team seemed to think the same as they stopped playing as well as they had been. CP has an easy TD pass go thru his hands, Brian Randolph tears his ACL on a Driskel scramble of like 60 yds, just idiotic stuff into the 4th quarter.

2014 game comes to mind where it appeared Florida was gonna let us win. Then when we didn't take advantage of all the opportunitys Florida gave us. Muschamp put a knew q.b in for the last 2 drives and says ok I guess will win if you dont want to. 😒

A "knew" QB? o_O

At this point I have no explanation for the way Florida has absolutely dominated TN since 1990..

I do. Better players and better coaching.

And even when Florida didn’t have great coaching, they still had better players (Zook/Muschamp/Mac went 7-3 vs Tennessee). Spurrier/Meyer/Mullen are 17-4 against Tennessee, Meyer/Mullen are 9-0 against Tennessee.

2021 will be more of the same; better players and better coaching.

Oh quit, you know there is some weird stigma about how we seem to go full retard against Florida a large percentage of the time. Look at 2019, we at least played competent football in every game that year (yes, even against Georgia State, we still executed some things well), against Florida we mustered up 3 points.

2018 was similar, we played in some good games that year, including giving Georgia a fight, we looked like we had never played football when we faced Florida.

Kentucky tends to do the same against us. They can play solid against most SEC teams when they have a good team, then they play us and fall to pieces even if we are stinking it up that year.

I do. Better players and better coaching.

And even when Florida didn’t have great coaching, they still had better players (Zook/Muschamp/Mac went 7-3 vs Tennessee). Spurrier/Meyer/Mullen are 17-4 against Tennessee, Meyer/Mullen are 9-0 against Tennessee.

2021 will be more of the same; better players and better coaching.
You can compare yourself to the ugly kid (Tennessee) in class if it makes you feel prettier. Fact still remains, Florida can’t compete with the big boys. What’s yall record against Alabama? Don’t they spank y’all ever time you play them? With all that talent and coaching, Florida still can’t get over the hump and make it to the big dance during the CFB Playoff era. Tebow and 08 are are now a distant memory.

I think Spurrier got in our head and we've never been able to shake it ever since. When he said you can't spell citrus without UT, we believed him. And now the Florida game is magnified beyond all proportion and if one thing goes wrong, we mentally unravel.
Now we can only dream of the Citrus.

You can compare yourself to the ugly kid (Tennessee) in class if it makes you feel prettier. Fact still remains, Florida can’t compete with the big boys. What’s yall record against Alabama? Don’t they spank y’all ever time you play them? With all that talent and coaching, Florida still can’t get over the hump and make it to the big dance during the CFB Playoff era. Tebow and 08 are are now a distant memory.

You just changed the entire topic of discussion. But guess what, I agree with you, you swerved into an appropriate analogy. Bama has been better than Florida in recent years because they have better players and have had better coaching.

I do think Florida under Mullen is closing the gap between Florida and Alabama. The SEC championship game was a 6-point margin down to the wire, with a very one-dimensional Florida team (all offense no defense). Florida and Mullen get another shot to take down Bama week 3 in the Swamp this year. Somebody’s gotta do it. The last two dynasties in the SEC by a team not named Alabama was Florida, under two different coaches.

Week 3 2021 in Gainesville is a monumental game for Florida football and for the SEC.

Reactions: Johnnyreb#VFL
Florida would have lost to UGA last year if UGA had J.T. Daniels starting. UGA also had their best players out on defense out with COVID and injuries, the UGA defense Florida faced was a shell of the one we had to. Florida was basically an Ole Miss equivalent last year, nice offense, no defense, they just got to play in the weaker East instead of the West.

VN Store

Back