Florida Gator game

GoodlettsvilleVol

It is deeply unsettling to me the quality of play we muster against the Gators. Far too many mistakes.

I remember a poster here some 5-8 years ago saying Florida brings out the stupid in us. Aptly stated I think.

I can think of any number of games where we were the better team and should have won but made atrocious plays and lost. This has to stop.

Please play smarter. We can do this. Heupel needs to make us a smarter team. I firmly believe this can be done.

This Fall I want to see a smarter, improved executing team.

Then we can beat Florida among others.

At least we don’t teach our players to block each other. And they lost the Georgia Southern game while the opposing QB attempted all of 3 passes and gave up 400+ rushing yards. Can’t say we have ever accomplished that feat. Other programs do stupid stuff all the time. Florida even had a guy just last year take an LSU player’s shoe off, chucked it and got an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty that cost them the game.

1622727499214.gif
1622727539097.gif
1622728356348.gif
1622728564431.gif

Attachments

• 1622728223822.gif
    1622728223822.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
It is deeply unsettling to me the quality of play we muster against the Gators. Far too many mistakes.

I remember a poster here some 5-8 years ago saying Florida brings out the stupid in us. Aptly stated I think.

I can think of any number of games where we were the better team and should have won but made atrocious plays and lost. This has to stop.

Please play smarter. We can do this. Heupel needs to make us a smarter team. I firmly believe this can be done.

2014 game comes to mind where it appeared Florida was gonna let us win. Then when we didn't take advantage of all the opportunitys Florida gave us. Muschamp put a new q.b in for the last 2 drives and says ok I guess will win if you dont want to. 😒

Last edited:
Reactions: Lilcarl731
2014 game comes to mind where it appeared Florida was gonna let us win. Then when we didn't take advantage of all the opportunitys Florida gave us. Muschamp put a knew q.b in for the last 2 drives and says ok I guess will win if you dont want to. 😒

2014 we were the less terrible team on the field, neither of us could move the ball, but we were in position to win. Then of course, some backup comes in and throws a TD.

2015, in position to win, then Butch coached us out of it.

2016 we finally win, but have far more talent and still need an epic comeback.

2017, in position to take it to OT, garbage Hail Mary loses it for us.

It’s absolutely unbelievable.

2014 we were the less terrible team on the field, neither of us could move the ball, but we were in position to win. Then of course, some backup comes in and throws a TD.

2015, in position to win, then Butch coached us out of it.

2016 we finally win, but have far more talent and still need an epic comeback.

2017, in position to take it to OT, garbage Hail Mary loses it for us.

It’s absolutely unbelievable.
Made the 430 mile trip down in 2012 for that Florida game. Pretty much had em the whole game. Florida scores on a broken play and pretty much sucked all the energy out of the stadium. I think we all knew what was gonna happen after that play. Walked back to the car sick to my stomach.

In the past 30 games, Florida has had the better coach in 27/30 of them. The only time we have won 2 in a row was during the 3 year stretch where we clearly had the better coach (Fulmer > Zook)
That's true and that is embarrassing considering they had Muschamp and Shark Humper for a few of those years.

I hate the Gators as much as anyone but lets also consider facts. Florida always has depth and talent on its team. Its impossible for them not to have that. Gainesville sits between Orlando, Tampa Bay, and Jacksonville There are enough 4-5* star players in those 3 metropolitan areas alone to stockpile talent without even considering the S. Florida area. FSU being a dumpster fire now helps them even more. Even having idiots like Muschamp and Zook as head coaches hasn't prevented them from recruiting well. All that being said, I hope that Tennessee gets their s... together so that it becomes a rivalry again.

Made the 430 mile trip down in 2012 for that Florida game. Pretty much had em the whole game. Florida scores on a broken play and pretty much sucked all the energy out of the stadium. I think we all knew what was gonna happen after that play. Walked back to the car sick to my stomach.

Assuming you’re talking about the long Burton TD run, that play only tied the score with well over a quarter left to play. You woulda thought it was a walk off TD in overtime.

Last edited:
Reactions: GatorSteve and Jaws

I can think of some; but most of them we were either pretty equal or UF had the better team.

Now could/should have won? Yeah 2000 is a big one. 2014 I'll say we should have won because UF was terrible and basically tried to hand us the game and we wouldn't take it. 2015 we probably should have won, at least definitely could have and 2017 but those years I'd say those UT/UF teams were on the same leve.

That broken play, assuming you’re talking about the long Burton run, only tied the score with over a quarter left to play. You woulda thought it was a walk off TD in overtime.

It might as well have been. I was at a family gathering, mostly Vol fans and when that happened everyone just got the same look like "we're not winning this."

Plus we had Dooley so nobody was very confident anyway.

Reactions: norrislakevol
That broken play, assuming you’re talking about the long Burton run, only tied the score with over a quarter left to play. You woulda thought it was a walk off TD in overtime.
Yeah I was feeling good but yet thinking how are we gonna screw this up lol. Then it happened. Our guy had the angle and everything and some how he got to the corner and up the field. I'm like dear Lord.

It’s a shame considering how typical it is for Tennessee to play smart, fundamental football against everyone else they play.

With the level of talent and execution they display against everyone else, it’s really perplexing why this only happens against Florida.

I appreciate OPs request that we execute better. We haven't executed as a team consistently since I can hardly remember when. It's been one of the most frustrating things being a Vol fan lo these many years.

With that said and appreciated another leg on the stool of victory is talent. Florida no matter who coaches or their previous year's record will always have a very talented team. The population size of the state ensures a hjgh percentage of high quality recruits arrives year in and year out. Being one of the well known party schools in the country ensures a certain amount of players will want to transfer in as well. Until we begin to at least get AND KEEP highly talented and performing players at most every position on the field we will struggle with UF which makes beating them not very likely. However we do not need to play bad football and beat ourselves which we do much to often and find a way to do against UF.

All we gotta do is play more physical than them, block on offense and get some plays down the field, and on defense stop them on defense a lot. I’m not worried about Florida more than Georgia right now, because I think we can play with Florida this year.

Wished they still had Ron Took as HC. 2003 at the swamp I thought they had the better talent.

It’s a shame considering how typical it is for Tennessee to play smart, fundamental football against everyone else they play.

With the level of talent and execution they display against everyone else, it’s really perplexing why this only happens against Florida.

Oh quit, you know there is some weird stigma about how we seem to go full retard against Florida a large percentage of the time. Look at 2019, we at least played competent football in every game that year (yes, even against Georgia State, we still executed some things well), against Florida we mustered up 3 points.

2018 was similar, we played in some good games that year, including giving Georgia a fight, we looked like we had never played football when we faced Florida.

We’ve sucked against everyone in the past 10-15 years, but we take it to a whole new level against UF. It’s comical. 2016 was like that in the 1st half, but then y’all got waxed by Butch Jones in the 2nd.

Reactions: memtownvol

VN Store

Back