Florida Fans…

I thought he recognized the situation, saw he was going to get boat raced if he played straight up and went into 4 down offense anywhere on the field starting the 2nd quarter. Had he punted on those 4th downs they lose by 30 points. The 4 down offense kept his offense on the field and UT's off the field, risky but smart in this situation. They should be congratulating him on his aggressiveness instead of worrying about 2 point conversions.

This nails it. If he isn't ultra-aggressive all day this game has 45-17 written all over it, and Napier damn well knew it early on. I don't know how he'll fare as the Florida coach, but I'd wager that you won't see him nearly that aggressive against most anyone else. He knew he was outmanned, and his aggressiveness, crazy as it seemed in real time, was the only thing that kept this from being a rout.

Charts. It's all about the charts

6ut48p.jpg

Napier and his staff had a meeting last Monday. In the meeting Napier said "how do we cover all of those WR?" All the coaches said "We cannot possibly stop all of those receivers", to which Napier responded "then how do we keep that offense off the field?" and somebody said "I heard of this coach in Arkansas that goes for it on every 4th down" Napier thought about it and said "sounds good", "Let's go with that plan, because if we punt we are losing by 30"

That coach in Arkansas is Kevin Kelly of Pulaski Academy - my son’s school. Only Kevin Kelly no longer coaches there. Anthony Lucas does and has the same philosophy. That philosophy has brought the school multiple state championships with very few players over 200 LBs on the roster. It’s really amazing

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I see multiple Florida fans on Twitter defending Napier’s decision to go for 2 on Saturday. Kind of weird to me considering that cost them a shot at kicking the FG at the end and sending the game to OT. I guess they are already drinking the Billy kool-aid and believing whatever he does is holy.
Bless their little hearts…… 🧡

Reactions: VolPack22
I thought he recognized the situation, saw he was going to get boat raced if he played straight up and went into 4 down offense anywhere on the field starting the 2nd quarter. Had he punted on those 4th downs they lose by 30 points. The 4 down offense kept his offense on the field and UT's off the field, risky but smart in this situation. They should be congratulating him on his aggressiveness instead of worrying about 2 point conversions.
That and he knew his D was gassed and wouldn't have been able to match us in overtime. Dude has gonads for sure. I liked his aggressiveness. Played to win. Hats off.

Florida still sucks though.

That and he knew his D was gassed and wouldn't have been able to match us in overtime. Dude has gonads for sure. I liked his aggressiveness. Played to win. Hats off.

Florida still sucks though.

According to Sun Belt Billy's game plan, he wanted to be aggressive. He stated in his press conference that he wanted to go for 2 because he wanted to do the risks up front and not towards the end of the game. He DID plan on winning.

According to Sun Belt Billy's game plan, he wanted to be aggressive. He stated in his press conference that he wanted to go for 2 because he wanted to do the risks up front and not towards the end of the game. He DID plan on winning.

Well, he was wrong, and it sure felt good to see the win in person!

Go Vols!

I see multiple Florida fans on Twitter defending Napier’s decision to go for 2 on Saturday. Kind of weird to me considering that cost them a shot at kicking the FG at the end and sending the game to OT. I guess they are already drinking the Billy kool-aid and believing whatever he does is holy.
I had to convince myself that several boneheaded decisions by our previous stooges must have had some logic behind them as well. Fandom often requires active self deception and incredible rationalization

He knew that his only chance to keep from getting "boatraced" was.to go on all fourth downs.His big mistake was not kicking the extra point.He showed his team that he had faith they could do it.A good strategy.

Reactions: EasternVol

The one possible outcome that makes his decision look stupid, happened. But, had he converted that 1st two AND 2nd ... he's getting into FG range to WIN on the last play. If he converts 1 of 2 of the 2pointers, then he's still playing to tie w a FG instead of a hail mary. So, really the odds are not different way he went IMO. Being on the road in a hostile environ may have made him look for a path to win in regulation rather than try to tie and go to OT.

At first I thought it was idiotic. But during the 2nd 2pt conversion it hit me what the "chart" was asking him to do. It was going to take a string of miracles to pull off a -17 pt score with 2/3 a field and only 6-7 minutes left, regardless.

Reactions: Samthebam
I had to convince myself that several boneheaded decisions by our previous stooges must have had some logic behind them as well. Fandom often requires active self deception and incredible rationalization

True that. I used to defend the indefensible with Kiffin, and with passion!

I would’ve been more upset about not taking the field goal on that early drive. That’s what really cost them. He was psycho going for all those 4th downs.
They lose badly if not for him going for it on fourth down. He knew field goals weren’t going to get it done, approached the game like his team had little to no chance to win in a straight up game. Florida had almost everything go their way and Tennessee still won. Tennessee will likely never have a secondary as bad as the one were seeing this season.

Talked about this in stadium when UF got ball back down 17:

Get in scoring position quickly, kick the field goal and get 3. No time to waste. Kick onside kick, score TD kick extra point. Kick another onside kick and score TD and extra point for overtime.

They lose badly if not for him going for it on fourth down. He knew field goals weren’t going to get it done, approached the game like his team had little to no chance to win in a straight up game. Florida had almost everything go their way and Tennessee still won. Tennessee will likely never have a secondary as bad as the one were seeing this season.
Let’s see how long he lasts as head coach if he uses that “go for it every time” mentality. He won’t last 2 seasons doing that.

Let’s see how long he lasts as head coach if he uses that “go for it every time” mentality. He won’t last 2 seasons doing that.
No idea if he lasts or not, I would bet against it but he had to go for it everytime bc he knew they couldn’t stop our offense

Florida got lucky...............UT got luckier.
That's why you play the game.

It might have ended again in a Gaffney play (Palmer knows it wasn't complete)..........or another prevent defense that allowed a long TD pass from gators.......I was NERVOUS! (& out of beer)
The onside kick was Beautiful (& ugly), & could have been a touchdown.

But now I am HAPPY!................. & I still can't hear very well after being in NEYLAND.

Let's enjoy the victory...learn from our mistakes....... and prep for the next. (players, coaches & fans)

The statement that the SEC just MEANS MORE has some truth to it. Every week is a struggle, and we can't sleep on any week.

As far as our next opponent............. WGWTFA!

p.s. GBO

Florida got lucky...............UT got luckier.
That's why you play the game.
I don't see it that way at all. How do you figure?

Converting low percentage 4th downs and recovering an onside kick is extremely unlikely.

Florida was lucky that it wasn't a 17+ point blowout.

I would’ve been more upset about not taking the field goal on that early drive. That’s what really cost them. He was psycho going for all those 4th downs.
For those to young to recall, Napier is simply pulling out the old Hal Mumme “down & distance” algorithm.

Reactions: VolPack22
I don't see it that way at all. How do you figure?

Have you not seen our previous fiascos against fla?
They were LUCKY to beat us in comebacks in the past, but they DID!

We were lucky to beat Arkansas in our National Championship year. Luck counts.
We were lucky that fla didn't complete their TD on the onside kick...or the drive.
Of course WE were able to stop them.....Luckily... and I agree that more that luck was involved.

I was at the 2016 fla game and we came back to win.........and yes, there was luck involved, as it is in many games.

VN Store

Back