Flip Phone Nation Unite!

My middle school daughter has a friend that, first of all, isn’t exactly my favorite of her acquaintances... whatever, she’s a kid. But last year she started telling all her friends about how she was getting a phone for Christmas (and would be just catching up with most of them) but she was all stoked about it and talked it up incessantly. So Christmas finally came and yep, she got a flip phone. Funny as hell.

Parenting done right! :p

Reactions: pismonque
I seriously toyed with the notion of cutting the LTE and going back. I've paid a lot of monthly hardware payments to be a very minimal user.

I kind of want one of the these and recently smashed my Apple POS so probably getting it:

twarren_180223_2327_0036.jpg

Loved those! Something about flipping it open to answer and the opposite to end the call (remember phone CALLS?), had that panache.

Crushed my old Razr in the car door. That was an awesome phone. Wish Motorola would go old school and just update that phone.

I still use an LG8300 flip. Been using them for about 13 or 14 years. Have 2 new in the box I got cheap on Ebay for when this one dies, or when I drop it in the water below Percy Priest dam (which I have done before). The last 2 times I broke one and had to get a new one activated I had trouble finding someone who knew how to activate them. It's also getting hard to find chargers that fit.

I still use it because I can't stand anything larger in my pocket. I guess I'll keep using them as long as I can find them and they can be activated.

Best phone I ever had bar none was a Samsung SCH A310 flip with the extended battery. Tri-mode reception. That phone would get a signal anywhere. Tough as nails too. That phone hit concrete floors in the plant on an almost daily basis. Never broke or cracked. Circa 2007. Had a Motorola flip that was great as well.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
I started with a bag phone (Cellular One in Jensen Bch, FL).....not really portable but was a hell of a communication device. Next one I got was something like an audiovox. I slung that dang thing off the back of a jeep doing about 50 one day. Went back and picked it up and it just kept plugging. Had one of the retractable antennas on it.

1578671178396.png

I have had the same cell number for over 20 years so far.

I bit the bullet and got a Kyocera Dura XV LTE to replace my Note (not even sure which version I was on). I have 14 days, starting tomorrow, to return it and get a smart phone. Two downsides I have already noticed. First, it looks like I will have to manually enter my contacts. Second, it has Bluetooth but I have not been able to tether to my car stereo yet. On the plus side, this thing looks and feels almost indestructible , it fits in every pocket I have tried so far, my plan price went down about $30 a month even with an unlimited data plan. Oddly, the unlimited data on this phone is the same price as 2G per month. I guess they figure you're not going to use much with limited browsing capability and no qwerty keyboard. Overall, I am feeling good about this downgrade 5 hours and three calls in.

I bit the bullet and got a Kyocera Dura XV LTE to replace my Note (not even sure which version I was on). I have 14 days, starting tomorrow, to return it and get a smart phone. Two downsides I have already noticed. First, it looks like I will have to manually enter my contacts. Second, it has Bluetooth but I have not been able to tether to my car stereo yet. On the plus side, this thing looks and feels almost indestructible , it fits in every pocket I have tried so far, my plan price went down about $30 a month even with an unlimited data plan. Oddly, the unlimited data on this phone is the same price as 2G per month. I guess they figure you're not going to use much with limited browsing capability and no qwerty keyboard. Overall, I am feeling good about this downgrade 5 hours and three calls in.

This is the phone I have and LOVE it! Very tough phone and haven't had any issues syncing the Bluetooth.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
Kids today will never know how dramatic it was to hang up a phone call on a flip phone.....
1498646808-megan-fox-jennifers-body.gif
So True, and I have a flip phone, I deal with smart phones from customer's trying to show me a picture and it takes them forever to find the picture, I have even told them if I had their phone I would take it
out in the parking lot and run it over.....lol

Back in the day, when I had to couple my phone attachment to a handset with velcro, then dial to get the connection tone before downloading info I was thinking soon people will have all the information that exists right on their phone for easy access. We do, but instead they are mainly used for Facebook, Instagram and it has turned our children into zombies. Flip phones for all would be great.

VN Store

Back