'20 FL WR Malachi Wideman (Tennessee signee)

yabo

Malachi Wideman, 2020 Wide Receiver - Rivals.com

Visiting 1/17 according to 247.

Evaluation
A blue-chip football and basketball recruit with length and muscular build. Known for freakish athleticism that allows for above the rim game on the hardwood and ideal red-zone and deep threat ability as wide receiver on gridiron. Effortless leaper with true ball skills and body control. Long strider with wide catch radius and plus ability after the catch. Can make plays in traffic with good quickness. Plays with good feel and awareness in the red zone. Raw route-runner at this stage. Could easily carry more weight if football becomes primary focus at collegiate level with athleticism to make early impact despite polish. A pro career in either sport seems possible depending on priorities following high school.

Last edited by a moderator:
He’s got one of those really cool names, too. No but seriously I like the height and at the size frame he could be a 205 lb burner

Reactions: Illinoisvolfan2
According to 247 he's visiting Oregon and FAU after Tennessee. Wondering if those are all just trips or if he's definitely leaving FSU. He visited Washington State in the fall as well, but doubt they're in contention anymore with Leach leaving.

According to 247 he's visiting Oregon and FAU after Tennessee. Wondering if those are all just trips or if he's definitely leaving FSU. He visited Washington State in the fall as well, but doubt they're in contention anymore with Leach leaving.
trips...til they ain't.

i don't know if we'd try to make room at this point? would imagine adding Velus wraps things up at WR.

still....6'4" with some speed and athleticism....not sure we have anyone with that kind of length + speed at WR right now?

would seem greedy at this point...lol.

Reactions: Cormock Mac
The Malachi Crunch!

iu

Reactions: Orangeburst
trips...til they ain't.

i don't know if we'd try to make room at this point? would imagine adding Velus wraps things up at WR.

still....6'4" with some speed and athleticism....not sure we have anyone with that kind of length + speed at WR right now?

We only have 5 wide receivers on scholarship right now, this kid is a really good talent. We also have spots left for 20 class.

Just enough spots for Wideman and a late push to flip Hardy or Jones.
Jones is out. No longer visiting. 2 spots left after the transfers. Don't know how serious this kid is, but it's looking like 2 out of Hardy, Beckwith, and this kid possibly.

Jones is out. No longer visiting. 2 spots left after the transfers. Don't know how serious this kid is, but it's looking like 2 out of Hardy, Beckwith, and this kid possibly.

He was visiting until today. My *hope* (with no proof) is the staff will keep working him and try to get him to drop the Auburn visit and OV to us instead. *Could* happen, but possibly not. With this staff, I don't count it over until the kid enrolls in school.

He was visiting until today. My *hope* (with no proof) is the staff will keep working him and try to get him to drop the Auburn visit and OV to us instead. *Could* happen, but possibly not. With this staff, I don't count it over until the kid enrolls in school.
Auburn's OL coach departed, so anything is possible.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Maybe this is there are presumably 2 spots available, and the staff isn't just going to count on Beckwith and Hardy coming, so it's next best up? This probably does mean they feel out of it with the Caldwell kid from South Carolina, right?

Reactions: Volgrl75
Auburn's OL coach departed, so anything is possible.

That's the only way I see this as possible. It would NOT surprise me if the staff urged him to take Ark visit during UT visit and sold him switching UT to Auburn and keeping that close to vest until after the UGA visit so they can't use that as ammo.

This staff is incredibly savvy in the cat/mouse game of recruiting. I don't think that *WILL* happen, but JB Grimes was not only the OL coach at Auburn but also his primary recruiter so he's somewhat starting from 0 with them.

trips...til they ain't.

Let’s allow him to play BB also if he wants to. Maybe that will sell it.

It feels like the culture is really changing on the hill. Just getting him on campus, we should be able to show him the difference between where we currently are and the amount of work FSU has to do to catch up.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
We only have 5 wide receivers on scholarship right now, this kid is a really good talent. We also have spots left for 20 class.
not if we get DB and JH...then we'd have to dip in to future classes.

and i don't think we'd give up one of those spots for this kid...now, should one or both of those not pan out? yeah, i could see it.

still, i think we're putting most eggs in those two baskets. and this kid is taking visits cause he can....he's got a spot at FSU, but new coach/staff, probably just making sure. don't blame him....or us. good due diligence.

Probably using this kid as leverage/insurance sending Hardy a message that the boat is about to be full

I don't know. We definitely need talent/depth at WR. We have transfers as a short term fix, but we only have 1 WR this cycle with Hyatt. If he's open to our invitations, we could be pursuing him as an insurance policy.

We need playmakers and this kid is a playmaker. I can see us trying to greyshirt a guy like Tee Hodge or Jimmy Holiday which are all likely to end up vying for the same position anyway (slot WR, at least IMO).

NOTE: I'm spitballing here.

VN Store

Back