'22 FL SDE Venson Sneed (Indiana commit)

People keep mentioning "scientific data".
How is that compiled? How is it tested??

Devrin Young who was a14 year old phenom began lifting weights early. And he was beasting on people at 12, 13, 14! He started lifting weights early. He was the same height or TALLER than his classmates then. But by the time he's 18....he hadn't grown 1/8 " more. He came to UT the same height he was 13 years old. 5'6.
That's a 2nd hand observation.

1st hand observation was between me and my closest friend at the time. His family moved down to my state from Virginia when he was 10. We were the same age. His father was 6'4 and mother was 5'11. Has a grown brother now that is 6'2, but never played sports.

When my friend moved down to my state, his father wanted him to have a leg up on the competition in wrestling and football. So he started him on weights at 10-11 years old.
The IMMEDIATE results were obvious. He became stronger and faster than me. He was already a step faster than me anyway.

My parents couldn't really afford that type of training he was going through. I started playing football the next year with him anyhow.
And he was still very good at 12. But kids began to get taller than him. Catch up to him in speed. And just overall agility. Myself included.

By the time we both turn 18 years old.
I had becone a 6'3 205 combo skill player and he was a 5'11 195 OL...as in OFFENSIVE LINEMEN. He ran 5 flat and I ran 4.55. He was NATURALLY faster than me as 11 and 12 years old. But he began lifting weights too early...

He could bench 375 lbs as a SR! But he could never get on the field because all the other Olineman were 6'2 -6'6 260+ lbs...

There are other observations I've seen throughout my life. And other "old wives" tales from other people disconnected to me.

Reactions: SoilVol
Why is he lifting weights at 10??
1. To get stronger
2. Bc we enjoying it together
3. Bc I want to be the one teaching him….. he is an athlete and I don’t trust middle school coaches with my child….. I have seen some crazy stuff during all my time with athletes and I want my child to know what is not acceptable.

Devrin Young who was a14 year old phenom began lifting weights early. And he was beasting on people at 12, 13, 14! He started lifting weights early. He was the same height or TALLER than his classmates then. But by the time he's 18....he hadn't grown 1/8 " more. He came to UT the same height he was 13 years old. 5'6.

1st hand observation was between me and my closest friend at the time. His family moved down to my state from Virginia when he was 10. We were the same age. His father was 6'4 and mother was 5'11. Has a grown brother now that is 6'2, but never played sports.

When my friend moved down to my state, his father wanted him to have a leg up on the competition in wrestling and football. So he started him on weights at 10-11 years old.
The IMMEDIATE results were obvious. He became stronger and faster than me. He was already a step faster than me anyway.

My parents couldn't really afford that type of training he was going through. I started playing football the next year with him anyhow.
And he was still very good at 12. But kids began to get taller than him. Catch up to him in speed. And just overall agility. Myself included.

I had becone a 6'3 205 combo skill player and he was a 5'11 195 OL...as in OFFENSIVE LINEMEN. He ran 5 flat and I ran 4.55. He was NATURALLY faster than me as 11 and 12 years old. But he began lifting weights too early...

He could bench 375 lbs as a SR! But he could never get on the field because all the other Olineman were 6'2 -6'6 260+ lbs...

There are other observations I've seen throughout my life. And other "old wives" tales from other people disconnected to me.
I had Devrin young disease…. I was the tallest kid in my class between 7th-8th grade and one of the shortest leaving high school and didn’t touch many weights in high school.
if your friend showed immediate gains between 10-11 then he probably started puberty early which typically leads to a shorter height…. A 10 yr old shouldn’t have the testosterone available to show much gains. He also doesn’t sound like much of an athlete if he was 5’11 195 and had to play on the line.

I do agree that some exercises should be avoided….. we don’t do any load bearing activities on the knees, or back…. We don’t do squats unless we use a hex bar….. I’m not a big plyometric fan either….we typically do mainly machine weights bc he doesn’t have to stabilize the weight with his core with the exception being hammer curls and bench press….. he just moved up to 20# hammer curls and does 55# bench press……. Not exactly setting world records. LOL

thank you for the anecdotal evidence and analysis !!!!

Reactions: Samthebam
Part of me wishes I could keep her this age forever. Dreading teenage years already.
Can totally empathize. Hit that milestone this year. It’s been better than I thought, and she still loves spending time with daddy. Had a great day of roller coaster riding last week at Dollywood.

There are a few rules about lifting as a youngster. First, you shouldn't lift heavy (more than half your body weight) before puberty. You should follow the same rule as well until you have reached the height of your shortest parent. Light weights and body weight stuff is fine until then. Everyone is different though!

VN Store

Back