'19 FL QB Brian Maurer (Tennessee signee)

It's crazy how last year Shrout was supposed to push for playing time according to some. Now he's got a year in the system and the S&C program and is in 3rd place behind an incoming freshman.
It was pretty telling that Shrout didn't even get any garbage time snaps later in the season. With JG being our only QB with experience, Maurer on board, and Harrison set to be here in 2020, Shrout's chance to make an impact here isn't looking great.

Reactions: k-town_king
It was pretty telling that Shrout didn't even get any garbage time snaps later in the season. With JG being our only QB with experience, Maurer on board, and Harrison set to be here in 2020, Shrout's chance to make an impact here isn't looking great.
What was telling about it was he was a freshman with Christ and JG ahead of him on the depth chart. He was always going to redshirt unless JG and Christ got injured.

I think the real improvement needs to come from the oline. I feel like most of the bad plays JG made was due to her knew he was going to get drilled. It also made it hard on the passing game when our running game wasn't very good. I agree with you on Shrout. I think if JG doesn't improve in some areas and Shrout puts in the work JG could lose his spot. I don't think he will though.

I agree on all your points.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolSummitt44
Our QB situation has been improving with every class. Mauer with Harrison coming in next year are vital to sustaining that momentum. Now, we need to get an OC that can get the ball into the hands of our playmakers, which will foster the idea in recruits' minds that they can have the same or better success here.

Shrout will absolutely make an impact in 2019. He's likely the #2 and will see significant snaps.

I dunno if that was actually telling. Coach Pruitt was trying to do right by Chryst. Plus Shrout didn’t make it to QB #3 until what like 4 or 5 games left in the season?

Only good things have been said about Shrouts improvement. That being said the only way Shrout beats out JG is if JG just doesn’t improve anymore. I will agree that Shrouts window is getting smaller. That is a good point regarding Maurer and Bailey.

Hopefully Shrout improves, he is a mobile guy who can throw on the run accurately. I think a lot will depend on our O-line and new OC, on where we go in the QB department.

Last edited:
What was telling about it was he was a freshman with Christ and JG ahead of him on the depth chart. He was always going to redshirt unless JG and Christ got injured.
He could have played in up to 4 games and still redshirted. Hard to make a very good argument that it wouldn't have been worth it to give him a bit of a look in garbage time against a team like Mizzou (especially considering JG seemed to have been concussed at the time and his status for the following week could have been a question mark.

I dunno if that was actually telling. Coach Pruitt was trying to do right by Chryst. Plus Shrout didn’t make it to QB #3 until what like 4 or 5 games left in the season?

Chryst was given a chance to compete for a job. He was done as fairly as could be hoped for. Very few reasons Shrout couldn't have gotten some snaps in one or more of those last 3-4 games.

Only good things have been said about Shrouts improvement. That being said the only way Shrout beats out JG is if JG just doesn’t improve anymore. I will agree that Shrouts window is getting smaller. That is a good point regarding Maurer and Bailey.

Hopefully Shrout improves, he is a mobile guy who can throw on the run accurately. I think a lot will depend on our O-line and new OC, on where we go in the QB department.
When are bad things ever said about a QB who has been on campus 1 semester?

Hard to see JG losing the job this year unless we bring in a transfer or Maurer turns out to be a phenom.

Reactions: k-town_king
He could have played in up to 4 games and still redshirted. Hard to make a very good argument that it wouldn't have been worth it to give him a bit of a look in garbage time against a team like Mizzou (especially considering JG seemed to have been concussed at the time and his status for the following week could have been a question mark.
And screw over Christ? He didn't come here to watch a freshman play. Shrout also probably wasn't ready. I'm pretty sure I've never seen a 3rd string qb come in for mop up duty.

Reactions: KeepinUpWithJones
Chryst was given a chance to compete for a job. He was done as fairly as could be hoped for. Very few reasons Shrout couldn't have gotten some snaps in one or more of those last 3-4 games.

Hard to see JG losing the job this year unless we bring in a transfer or Maurer turns out to be a phenom.

Please be a phenom Maurer! PLEASE!

Ohio State took the wrong quarterback in 2019
"We could go back further and try to explain why the Buckeyes never gained any real traction with their real top target in 2019, Wisconsin signee Graham Mertz. But sometimes teams just get beat in the relationship game. It’s possible the Buckeyes beat themselves a little, though, when they gambled in June by hosting both Dwan Mathis and Brian Maurer for an official visit on the same weekend.

Mathis was committed to Michigan State, and the Buckeyes knew if he was visiting it’s because a flip was in his mind. Maybe it happened sooner than they’d planned, maybe they used Maurer and Mathis as leverage against each other, but either way: They ended up with the wrong quarterback. Because of that, Ohio State ended up with no quarterback as Mathis bolted at the first hint of Justin Fields’ transfer and gambled on himself by becoming the backup at Georgia the day he arrived on campus.

I feel comfortable saying that Brian Maurer would have committed to Ohio State and stayed committed through the chaos and addition of Fields. "

- Ohio State Article

https://lettermenrow.com/ohio-state...ruiting-biggest-mistakes-2019-buckeyes-class/

Pruitt with another recruiting win... Poor Buckeyes are jealous...

NSD 2019 Wrap-Up: SEC superlatives

MR. SANDMAN: Brian Maurer, Tennessee
Overview: At an event on signing day where the Tennessee coaches broke down each player in its new recruiting class, the group raved about Maurer, his abilities and what he would be bringing to Rocky Top. These gatherings are always filled with hype and exuberance, but the Vols coaches might be right on about Maurer, who played on a 2-8 football team his senior season but still threw for 3,572 yards with 34 touchdowns and 12 picks. Tennessee has been in dire need of star quarterback play and Maurer could be the guy.

Farrell’s take: Maurer has good size and a nice frame to fill out and he could be the sleeper quarterback of this class. Once he gets acclimated to the speed of the college game and gets surrounded by more talent, he could be a good one.

- Rivals

Only if they play. It is the volnation way to label someone a bust if they are not world leaders in their first semester.

I saw this was bumped and I could only think BGS was here with a “he gone”. Good to hear some positive news.

We brought in the Sr transfer to insure that since McBride was not going to burn a year that one injury would not have a raw freshman, with known development requirements, thrown on the field behind a line that would not provide time enough to do anything but react to pressure. This spring will be telling for him... if he does not project he will probably redshirt and prepare to hit the transfer portal with our Fr QB being here to get some prep for next fall... has a lot of physical skills so we shall see...

Reactions: 1955bamavol
How in the world this kid didn't receive a 4th star is beyond me; a low 4th star, if nothing else?? Warren Burrell and Aaron Beasley, as well. 🤔

Just 3 more checks in the "cons" column for star ratings, imo.

How in the world this kid didn't receive a 4th star is beyond me; a low 4th star, if nothing else?? Warren Burrell and Aaron Beasley, as well. 🤔

Just 3 more checks in the "cons" column for star ratings, imo.
His team went 2-8 is the only thing I can think of

VN Store

Back