'19 FL QB Brian Maurer (Tennessee signee)

I honestly am not sure. Someone posted earlier he would graduate this year, but no idea if it's true or not.

I saw that but not sure if they were guessing. He definitely could graduate in 3 years but who knows if he's actually on track to.

No one is writing an article about JG's future plans if he isn't the starting QB vs. WVU. But on VQ and 247 they have message boards just like here on VN. It's not just articles. So people start threads and ask questions all day long about a variety of topics. Sometimes the mods will answer those questions. There have been dozens of threads about "what if JG doesn't win the job?!" over the last several months. Occasionally they will hint that they wouldn't be surprised if he left if he doesn't win the job.

Got it, that is helpful clarification. It seems that at the end of the day the paysites really don't have any more insight than what is available on VN. As always, appreciate all the up to date information.

Reactions: 1 person
Legit question - how do the mods on TOS have insight into things like a player's transfer plans and other purportedly non-public information?

Thank you. :salute:
They don’t.

Got it, that is helpful clarification. It seems that at the end of the day the paysites really don't have any more insight than what is available on VN. As always, appreciate all the up to date information.

Well, most of the insight comes from the pay sites and ends up here shortly after thanks to friendly folks willing to share. This message board is just structured much better than the pay sites boards which is why we all hang out here instead.

Reactions: 4 people
Well, most of the insight comes from the pay sites and ends up here shortly after thanks to friendly folks willing to share. This message board is just structured much better than the pay sites boards which is why we all hang out here instead.

If only VN knew what the VQ board was like

I saw that but not sure if they were guessing. He definitely could graduate in 3 years but who knows if he's actually on track to.

Exactly. If he wins the job it probably won't matter, but if Chryst wins it then who knows what happens. Especially with the HC that got him to come here being gone now.

I'm just wondering. Is his attitude issues all attributed to the cameras showing him upset he didn't get to play in the GT game? When he was told he would play and didn't even though QD struggled til the end?

QD looked better in the second half of GT than any QB the whole season. Yes is the answer, he looked like a spoiled brat; also, didn’t JJ say something to the effect of he didnt even want to be on the field when JG was at QB.

If only VN knew what the VQ board was like

This is how I picture it:

sellsell.gif.6e427cde868bc1e8984dce5a97dab0ee.gif

Reactions: 2 people
QD looked better in the second half of GT than any QB the whole season. Yes is the answer, he looked like a spoiled brat; also, didn’t JJ say something to the effect of he didnt even want to be on the field when JG was at QB.

I kinda thought all of that narrative came from that one screenshot. Good to know.

And JJ actually did quit on the team and shared a whole video he made of himself looking like a spoiled brat, but you seem to have looked past that for him. But not for JG who actually kept fighting through that awful situation last year. Interesting perspective. :good!:

Reactions: 2 people

I remember seeing that last year but didn't know how true it was or if ever confirmed. I don't have a problem with a player getting mad because he isn't playing, especially if he was promised. We want players who wanna be in the game. But the pouting by himself and not supporting his teammates was the issue I had. If every player pouted on the sideline because they weren't playing there would be tons of players on every sideline off alone sulking. It was magnified because it was brought up during the only game going on and to Butch later. It couldn't have looked good to his teammates, who were all supporting each other. It could have been a one time thing or could be who he is. If he's not respected by his teammates then they aren't gonna bust their a$$ for him. But I don't know how liked or not liked he is other than a few rumors. I know Chryst was very well liked and respected at Stanford and a high character guy.

I kinda thought all of that narrative came from that one screenshot. Good to know.

And JJ actually did quit on the team and shared a whole video he made of himself looking like a spoiled brat, but you seem to have looked past that for him. But not for JG who actually kept fighting through that awful situation last year. Interesting perspective. :good!:

I definitely had an issue with that too and was actually way worse. But in JJ's defense he did apologize and own up to it and doing what it takes to get back on the team. I remember JP saying he made it almost impossible for Jennings's to do everything he set up to make it back on the team. But he did everything asked of him. He won't ever be a fave player of mine but hope he helps us this year, we need him. On JG, I don't ever remember it being said that he took ownership and apologized to his teammates and Coach's. But he may have and just missed it. But neither situation looked good for their character just like Gaulden's didn't either. Just shows one incident can follow you for a while. Gaulden took responsibility and owned it and still had it come up when he met with NFL teams. Hopefully we don't see any of that this yr.

Hey! Quick question. Who was that Brian Mauer fella I read about in the thread title?

I definitely had an issue with that too and was actually way worse. But in JJ's defense he did apologize and own up to it and doing what it takes to get back on the team. I remember JP saying he made it almost impossible for Jennings's to do everything he set up to make it back on the team. But he did everything asked of him. He won't ever be a fave player of mine but hope he helps us this year, we need him. On JG, I don't ever remember it being said that he took ownership and apologized to his teammates and Coach's. But he may have and just missed it. But neither situation looked good for their character just like Gaulden's didn't either. Just shows one incident can follow you for a while. Gaulden took responsibility and owned it and still had it come up when he met with NFL teams. Hopefully we don't see any of that this yr.

I am okay with all of them. Not judging any player for last year. I was just pointing out the double standard. And how all of the narratives of jg attitude problems stem from one screenshot and some internet rumors. Just seems weird to me.

I am okay with all of them. Not judging any player for last year. I was just pointing out the double standard. And how all of the narratives of jg attitude problems stem from one screenshot and some internet rumors. Just seems weird to me.

I couldn't agree more. I guess Jennings had become a fan favorite because of how well he's played at times. Not gonna lie JG hasn't made himself the most likable player to pull for. Plus he's done nothing memorable on the field like Jennings has. So it's probably more of some willing to take,forgive and accept more from players who have helped us win games. It's definitely a double standard and not fair but it's become part of sports unfortunately. A little success and likability can earn you some passes that others won't get, because they haven't done the same. We live in a double standard and hypocrisy world. .

I couldn't agree more. I guess Jennings had become a fan favorite because of how well he's played at times. Not gonna lie JG hasn't made himself the most likable player to pull for. Plus he's done nothing memorable on the field like Jennings has. So it's probably more of some willing to take,forgive and accept more from players who have helped us win games. It's definitely a double standard and not fair but it's become part of sports unfortunately. A little success and likability can earn you some passes that others won't get, because they haven't done the same. We live in a double standard and hypocrisy world. .

True I guess that screenshot of jg just never bothered me. He just wanted a chance. I don't mind him being mad about that. In a season where most of the team seemed to quit because of the coaches, he was one of the few who kept fighting and showed improvement as the season went on. Imo that showed way more of his true character than a screenshot in game 1 where he was never given a chance to play.

Reactions: 3 people
On his way to campus

He's a guy I mentioned in the War Room a few weeks ago. Told me he was hoping to visit this month before the dead period. Was impressive out at the Elite 11. WVU on him hard and he has ties to that school, but he's also waiting on bigger offers (possibly UT, but Ohio State, UF and Penn State have had regular contact recently).

Simonton

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
"the coaches have been in contact for about a month now," said maurer. "it’s almost an everyday thing. "i expect an offer this week." the 6-foot-4, 185-pound maurer said he has been talking with tennessee offensive coordinator tyson helton and quality control analyst vince lewis.

Maurer was one of the final 12 quarterbacks chosen at the elite 11 finals to receive invitations to nike's the opening finals, which will be held june 30 through july 3 in frisco, texas.

Barton simmons, 247sports' director of scouting, described maurer as "a bit of a revelation of the camp circuit" after he was named one of the top 12 performers from the elite 11 finals earlier this month in redondo beach, calif. "maurer has the frame at 6-4 and the arm talent to emerge as one of the elite quarterbacks in this class," simmons wrote at the time.

He has received scholarship offers from nearly 20 schools, including west virginia, texas a&m, boston college, pittsburgh, cincinnati, indiana, central florida, syracuse and south florida. Ohio state and n.c. State are among the other schools that have shown interest in maurer, and he attended a camp at nearby florida on friday.

VN Store

Back