‘23 FL OT Francis Mauigoa (Miami commit)

I feel like with the way this class is building it’s going to be much more sustainable than some others being built. Or like Butchs elite classes. Feel like many of these guys are buying into the program and culture and that’s why they are coming to TN. Not just early playing promises and superficial stuff.
This is how you're supposed to recruit. Not the flashy, used car salesman style. That will get you commits, but it also results in lots of attrition. These coaches also do a good job of bringing in high character, go earn it type kids that are more likely to have a major sense of loyalty. Team guys as opposed to ME guys.

This is how you're supposed to recruit. Not the flashy, used car salesman style. That will get you commits, but it also results in lots of attrition. These coaches also do a good job of bringing in high character, go earn it type kids that are more likely to have a major sense of loyalty. Team guys as opposed to ME guys.
Agreed, this staff seems to lean on culture, family, fun and exciting FB brand and obviously the passion of the fans which promotes NIL. Seems like a good combo for us to have some semblance of stability through this crazy transfer era. I think the teams that have a great culture and can also pull in top talent will really, really rise in the next 2-4 years because that’s going to be a really hard combination to achieve.

Nah. It's not just proximity with these kids, it's culture too.
This guy comes from a family that doesn't like the big city really. They like outdoors and nature.
Both of his brothers played at Wazzu. They're from Samoa. Those folks are chill and emphasize family and loving mother Earth.
All of the kids we've ever recruited that has that island culture has always loved UT because of the culture. It's very similar to American Samoa.
Personally I’ve only known one Samoan. He lived in my sister’s neighborhood, nicest guy and soft spoken. About 5’10” 230lbs guy was a great volley ball player and was really good at ping pong. He loved going to the lake, I remember everyone talking about the time he made a spear and caught fish with it. Anyway I’m just saying all this because my experience with the only Samoan that I knew was an athlete that didn’t look like one and a guy that was super laid back.

Personally I’ve only known one Samoan. He lived in my sister’s neighborhood, nicest guy and soft spoken. About 5’10” 230lbs guy was a great volley ball player and was really good at ping pong. He loved going to the lake, I remember everyone talking about the time he made a spear and caught fish with it. Anyway I’m just saying all this because my experience with the only Samoan that I knew was an athlete that didn’t look like one and a guy that was super laid back.
Off the field, they generally are laid back. On the field, they're generally pretty fierce.

And I think it's more than just peer recruiting, etc. The running theme is "family" feel. Start watching at about 17:30... (Especially note ~ 21:00 mark.)

That sense of family, trust, mutual respect and service... It all seems to be both purposeful and genuine, among the staff and toward the players.

There was a lot of talk about showing the city to family. Made me wonder if family will be moving with him.

AP has hinted at it being a possibility that they move to the states in the region of where he decides. Not a certainty but under consideration. We once had a little poly connection building under Fulmer at one point. Once you get one you can really start to build it. Nico then the basball transfer and now possibly Francis would really start something with that community

I feel like with the way this class is building it’s going to be much more sustainable than some others being built. Or like Butchs elite classes. Feel like many of these guys are buying into the program and culture and that’s why they are coming to TN. Not just early playing promises and superficial stuff.
I like how they do not pressure for a commitment. It’s almost like they say take time to think over everything we are offering. Which can be frustrating to us sometimes when no one commits after a big weekend. But you also don’t have to deal with worrying constantly if they are going to change their mind.

AP has hinted at it being a possibility that they move to the states in the region of where he decides. Not a certainty but under consideration. We once had a little poly connection building under Fulmer at one point. Once you get one you can really start to build it. Nico then the basball transfer and now possibly Francis would really start something with that community

Nicos family is moving to Nashville I believe. Unfortunately I think that has something to do with his moms cancer treatment but I could be wrong in that.

Cost of living and quality of life is a whole lot better in Tennessee than LA. just saying.

The buzz: What a last few weeks it has been for five-star offensive tackle Francis Mauigoa. He opened up with an official visit to Alabama on June 10 and he just closed things out with a visit to Tennessee. In between, the No. 10 prospect in the On3 Consensus took visits to Florida, Miami, and USC. I logged a pick for the Vols in May and I see no reason to change that at this time. Tennessee showed Mauigoa and his family a great time over the weekend and the Vols are still trending.

-Chad Simmons

VN Store

Back