‘23 FL OLB Grayson Howard (USCjr commit)

Also going to do a junior day the first weekend the dead period is lifted. He's deciding between Clemson's, Florida's, Auburn's, and SC's junior day to go to

Reactions: berryvol
Looks like he would be a really nice get, but I wonder how hard it would be to pull him out of Florida.

After visiting Tennessee for the first time nearly six months ago, Grayson Howard made the trip to Knoxville again Saturday to attend the Vols’ first junior day of the year. It probably won’t be his last time there.

The four-star Class of 2023 linebacker from Andrew Jackson High School in Jacksonville, Fla., said Tennessee impressed him again Saturday during his second trip to Knoxville, and he will “definitely be back” there in the coming months. He’s not ready to name any favorites among the nearly 30 schools pursuing him, but he admitted he would “love to come here.”

“It was pretty great (Saturday), just being with the staff again,” said Howard, who’s ranked by 247Sports as the No. 185 overall prospect and No. 15 linebacker in the 2023 class and the No. 36 junior from the state of Florida.

“It’s been my first time back since summer. It was real nice talking with the staff and everything and enjoying the basketball game and meeting other recruits.”

The 6-foot-3, 223-pound Howard made his first trip to Tennessee in late July, and he has heard plenty from the Vols since then. He said he was looking forward to “definitely just meeting with the staff and talking to them” during Saturday’s visit, “and just getting a feel for the campus and the facilities and the other players and everything like that.”

He said he’s high on Tennessee for at least a couple of reasons, starting with the bright future that he believes the Vols have coming off their first season under coach Josh Heupel.

“The biggest thing definitely would be the things that they’re going to accomplish,” Howard said. “They’re definitely building something great here. And the second thing is the fans and the love that surrounds this university. It’s great and I’d love to come here.”

Tennessee linebackers coach Brian Jean-Mary showed him plenty of attention during the junior day, along with defensive graduate assistant Tyson Kee.

“I spent most of my time with Coach BJ and Coach Kee,” Howard said. “I talked to (defensive coordinator Tim) Banks and Coach Heupel (Saturday) and everything like that, so it was good. …

“We watched a little film — broke down a little film and stuff. Love to talk football, so it was great.”

Howard said the Vols’ coaches envision him being an inside linebacker, although they believe he has “versatility” that could allow him to help “all over the field.”

“I definitely think they like me in the middle of the field,” he said. “I talked to Coach Banks and Coach BJ, and they just want to use my versatility and just be all over the field. But definitely the middle linebacker, the Will linebacker, that is just going to set that tone and lead the defense, make plays.”
After seeing Tennessee play during its first season under Heupel, Howard said he “definitely” sees the Vols a bit differently now.

“I definitely look at Tennessee as a building team, and they’re definitely building something great,” Howard said. “Just that on my mind when I’m coming up just makes me more excited about the university.”
-Callahan

VN Store

Back