'18 FL LB Eriq Gilyard (UCF transfer)

This kid won’t be coming here. Heupel made a promise to UCF when he left for UT that he wouldn’t recruit any transfers that he coached.

Pretty sure he was only saying that in regards to last year. He didn't want to encourage players to leave or make it seem like he was playing favorites if they came here.

This kid won’t be coming here. Heupel made a promise to UCF when he left for UT that he wouldn’t recruit any transfers that he coached.
He was saying he wasn't just going to take a transfer from UCF because of past connections if the staff felt like there was a better player available

Reactions: igotworms
And he didn't

But next cycle is end date of any promises

It's a business

VQ says he’s not a fit and we won’t get involved
Tbh given how bad UCF was on defense I don’t see why Heupel would to bring anyone from that side of the ball here anyway. The few good players they had were drafted last year

Tbh given how bad UCF was on defense I don’t see why Heupel would to bring anyone from that side of the ball here anyway. The few good players they had were drafted last year
to be fair, Gilyard is one of the better ones though along with the guys who were drafted last yr.

Ehhh. just because the unit as a whole isnt great doesn’t mean there aren’t some really good individual performers.
Kalia Davis, Gilyard, big Kat , & Josh Celiscar can all play almost anywhere in the country.

But if he doesn't have to recruit him, and Gilyard just comes here of his own VOLition...?

My point was I wouldn’t ever cite being a leading tackler as an indication that a player is especially good. I learned that twenty plus years ago when I spent an entire offseason proclaiming some free agent linebacker my former favorite nfl team signed was gonna be a beast because he led his previous team in tackles. The guy was trash.

Hell, Juwan Mitchell led Texas last year and he’s been invisible this year.

So the leading tackler doesn’t mean much to me.

My follow on comment was that this staff would know best this kids ability. And we certainly have a need at linebacker. Not sure what other options will be available in the portal.
Yeah, whatever happened to Mitchell? Thought he would ball out. Maybe later, hopefully.

I think this staff realizes that there will be some really good players at each position of need pop up in the portal. Whether it be guys from bigger schools that lose coaches or guys that have been highly productive at smaller schools wanting to play on the big stage. They are in a much better position now to attract quality players from the portal.

VN Store

Back