FL LB DeMario Tolan (LSU commit)

Watching this kids film reminded me a lot of Morven Joseph in high school. Then it got me to thinking, could Coach Banks try using Joseph much in the same way that they used Micah Parsons at Penn State.

The four-star Class of 2022 linebacker from Tohopekaliga High School in Kissimmee, Fla., said he has “a lot of interest in Tennessee” after receiving an offer from new Vols coach Josh Heupel’s staff on Feb. 24, and he “for sure” plans to visit the Vols whenever he gets a chance to make the trip to Knoxville. Tolan said that’s at least partly because of his family ties to the state of Tennessee.

“I really liked (the offer) because my dad is from Nashville, born and raised, and that’s his favorite team,” said Tolan, who’s ranked the No. 243 overall prospect and No. 9 inside linebacker in the 2022 class, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite. “My whole Tennessee family was hype.”

The 6-foot-3, 205-pound Tolan said his relatives from Tennessee are “just my dad’s side, mostly.” And while he didn’t necessarily grow up liking the Vols himself, he said his family’s Tennessee roots have added to his interest in the program.

“My dad is a diehard fan of Tennessee anything,” said Tolan, who now holds offers from at least 27 schools. “I’m just a fan of college football, period. I’m a military brat, so we moved around, so I don’t really have a favorite team.

“I have a lot of interest in Tennessee. That’s a good school.”

Tolan said he has heard from Heupel and new Tennessee linebackers coach Brian Jean-Mary over the past several days. He said he doesn’t have any “early impressions of (Jean-Mary) or the staff” because he’s “still getting to know them,” but the Vols are staying in contact with him.

“We haven’t started with Zoom calls yet,” Tolan said, “but they contact me once or twice a week.”

He said he’s “absolutely” planning to make a trip to Tennessee sometime after the ongoing dead period for recruiting, which has already been extended through May 31 because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
-Callahan

Watching this kids film reminded me a lot of Morven Joseph in high school. Then it got me to thinking, could Coach Banks try using Joseph much in the same way that they used Micah Parsons at Penn State.
1614788066169.gif

Reactions: SmokeyDaBear
A highly ranked linebacker target is planning to use one of his official visits to take a closer look at Tennessee. Four-star Class of 2022 linebacker DeMario Tolan of Dr. Phillips High School in Orlando, Fla., told 247Sports' Blake Alderman that the Vols are scheduled to host him the weekend of June 4 on his first official visit.
After getting an offer from first-year Tennessee coach Josh Heupel's staff on Feb. 24, Tolan told GoVols247 that he "for sure" planned to visit the Vols at some point. He said that was at least partly because of his family ties to the state of Tennessee.

“I really liked (the offer) because my dad is from Nashville, born and raised, and that’s his favorite team,” Tolan said at the time. “My whole Tennessee family was hype.”

Tolan said his relatives from Tennessee are “just my dad’s side, mostly.” And while he didn’t necessarily grow up liking the Vols himself, he said his family’s Tennessee roots have added to his interest in the program.

“My dad is a diehard fan of Tennessee anything,” Tolan said in early March. “I’m just a fan of college football, period. I’m a military brat, so we moved around, so I don’t really have a favorite team.

“I have a lot of interest in Tennessee. That’s a good school.”
-Callahan

"We have a great connection — not just our relationship, but even with the people we know," said Tolan, who's ranked the No. 242 overall prospect and No. 9 inside linebacker in the 2022 class, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite.

"We know a lot of the same people down in Florida. They know just the area real well, and my trainers."

He also has scheduled official visits to Auburn the weekend of June 11, LSU the weekend of June 18 and Miami the weekend of June 25 following his trip to Knoxville early next month.

“All the schools I set officials for, we’ve built great relationships and they would use me the best at linebacker and get me to where I want to go, which is the league,” Tolan told 247Sports' Gaby Urrutia last week.

Tolan already has gotten a glimpse of almost everything Tennessee has to offer during a virtual visit with the Vols. He said he was impressed by everything he saw, and he's looking forward to getting a firsthand look at Tennessee's campus next month.

"We've done a virtual tour, and they had amazing facilities," he said.

The Vols' coaches have told him they're recruiting him to play "Will LB" and outside linebacker, he said, in first-year defensive coordinator Tim Banks' system.
-Callahan

Need this guy. Work your magic @PlanetVolunteer . I know you'll be a proud father no matter where he goes, but I'm sure it'll be next level special for you if he picks Vols.
@PlanetVolunteer , let your son do what's best for him, but help him see the landscape a little.

I hope that results in him being Vol. Lord knows they need help at LB.

Tennessee seems to have a very positive and energetic young coaching staff right now. Good luck to you and your boy during the recruiting process. Try to enjoy it if you can!

Go Vols!

Oh yeah well uh...

He's not my son

I said that to be ridiculous thinking nobody would have taken it seriously....

Then everyone believed it so uh.. I just let it ride out maybe a little too long...

Oh.
He's not your "son" 😉.
Ofcourse not.

I mean because that would be waaaay to much pressure on a recruits family to be so closely tied to the University in Fanhood!

You really had us going there😳🥴😉😉👍.

😉

Reactions: 5FingerVolPunch
“I wanted to see what they have in store for me,” Tolan told Volquest. “They think I’d have an opportunity to see the field early on as a freshman or sophomore. I’ve been building a good relationship with coach BJ [Brian Jean-Mary].”

The 6-foot-3, 210-pound athlete has a tie to the Volunteer State as his father grew up in Nashville. Tolan visits family in the Midstate often, but the relationship with Tennessee’s linebackers coach is what’s giving Knoxville a chance.

“The relationship is a big part of the process for me,” the 2022 prospect said. “If we don’t have that type of a relationship, I likely won’t bother with you. We know a lot of the same people down here in Florida.”

Tolan is a versatile player who can be plugged in several different spots on defense. He’s a traditional outside linebacker who can play the edge and cover outside the box. He can also play inside in the multiple scheme for Dr. Phillips High School.

Tennessee envisions Tolan as a guy who can be multiple and a versatile piece for Tim Banks’s defense.

“They started recruiting me hard as soon as they were hired earlier this year and I was offered in February,” the linebacker said of the Vols. “I know it’s a historical program that’s produced a lot of good football players – a lot of Hall of Famers.

“Coach Heupel is good and he loves me. He said he’s been evaluating me for a long time, even back when he was at UCF. He loves how I play – my speed, feet and smarts. He also really likes how I’m so versatile.”

Tolan has 38 offers on the table with about eight strongly in consideration at the moment.

With Tennessee earning one of the five official visits, the Vols are firmly in the final running. The class’s 154th-rated prospect is also officially visiting Auburn (June 11), LSU (June 18) and Miami (June 25). The fifth official visit will likely come in the fall.
- E. Cain

Coach JeanMary just had an LB drafted the past year and coach Ekeler had these folks drafted in his career.

LB Cole Holcomb, Washington, 2019 (5th round)
LB Natrez Patrick, Los Angeles Rams/Denver Broncos, 2019 (free agent)
LB Roquan Smith, Chicago Bears, 2018 (1st round)
LB Andre Smith, Carolina Panthers, 2018 (7th round)
LB Cayson Collins, Miami Dolphins, 2018 (free agent)
LB Leonard Floyd, Chicago Bears, 2016 (1st round)
LB Ramik Wilson, Kansas City Chiefs, 2015 (4th round)
LB Amarlo Herrera, Indianapolis Colts, 2015 (6th round)
LB Hayes Pullard, Cleveland Browns, 2015 (6th round)
LB Will Compton, Washington/Tennessee Titans, 2013 (free agent)
LB Eric Martin, New Orleans Saints, 2013 (free agent)
LB Lavonte David, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 2012 (2nd round)
LB Phillip Dillard, Cleveland Browns, 2010 (4th round)
LB Cody Glenn, Washington, 2009 (5th round)

Want to get to da league? Come here and get that education!

VN Store

Back