'22 FL DT Jordan Phillips (Tennessee transfer)

The conference is the schools.

Why doesn't UT just create an entity or LLC called "The Cumberland Ave Group" and fund it, then use it to fund NILs? They can't.

The schools created the conference and can't use it to fund NILs either.

I'm not saying NILs aren't a mess. I'm just saying we can't use the school's (who eventually get the SEC money) TV revenue to fund an NIL.
I don't the SEC is a school. I've never heard of anyone getting a degree there.

Power 5 conferences are independent organizations that have their own headquarters and pay taxes.

I don't the SEC is a school. I've never heard of anyone getting a degree there.

Power 5 conferences are independent organizations that have their own headquarters and pay taxes.
C'mon. So would the "Cumberland Ave Group" be separate from UT, but if it's controlled by the school, it is the school, whether it pays taxes or not.

The NCAA KNOWS what the SEC is. They make the NIL rules. You can't get away with giving school money to an NIL.

Where does the TV revenue for the SEC currently end up...... and why does it end up there? It goes to the schools because the schools control the SEC.

Reactions: VolInDayton
C'mon. So would the "Cumberland Ave Group" be separate from UT, but if it's controlled by the school, it is the school, whether it pays taxes or not.

The NCAA KNOWS what the SEC is. They make the NIL rules. You can't get away with giving school money to an NIL.

Where does the TV revenue for the SEC currently end up...... and why does it end up there? It goes to the schools because the schools control the SEC.
I'm not a lawyer, so I'm not saying I'm right and you are wrong. I'm just going say we won't be seeing eye to eye on this.

I'm not a lawyer, so I'm not saying I'm right and you are wrong. I'm just going say we won't be seeing eye to eye on this.
So why don't the schools just form some company and fund it with their TV money and offer NILs from it? I'm not into sharing money with Bama or GA, so why not just create our own?

We can't. If you think the NCAA doesn't see the SEC as a collection of schools, I can't help you.

Young DT who can transfer down to UCF and get meaningful snaps next year. Not saying that is were he will go but using as example. And yes get some cash in his pocket. It's the way of college football. In CHRIST Alone

Reactions: HalfullVol and Sos
The conferences negotiate tv rights. They could make a collective and support all the members of their conference. ESPN gave the SEC a $3bn dollar deal for tv rights. The only reason none of this money can be used to support players is because of selfishness. Instead it's up to boosters and fans in collectives.

Currently the college football model is a sport with no salary cap where boosters can pay what they want. This is a more extreme version of the MLB, which lack of parity is hurting the sport. One idea for the MLB is to have a salary floor, which this would provide.

Sounds like Title 9 lawsuit waiting to happen…

Reactions: VolInDayton
I just think he saw the writing on the wall and was getting recruited over. Likely not going to play a ton next year and the following year will get passed up by Hobbs and Weathersby as long as they develop.
Hobbs maybe, but Weathersby will be playing SDE. Hobbs may play SDE as well and slide inside on passing downs with his athleticism. Nate Robinson and Trevor Duncan are likely who he would have been competing with for playing time.

I just think he saw the writing on the wall and was getting recruited over. Likely not going to play a ton next year and the following year will get passed up by Hobbs and Weathersby as long as they develop.
He looked really slow out there to me

Same deal. Without a degree, this 22 year old kid is going to make about $75K including bonuses this year. Works nights alternating 3 days one week with 4 the next. Job is not intensely physical. Mostly operating machinery from a control room.

And... he's about to blow it.
Where does one apply for this upcoming opening? Where the job location?

Reactions: StoVol and KptVFL
So one of two things happened. One, expectations were not explained to him clearly resulting in him "feeling" he deserved more playing time than he got. Two, they were explained to him and he thought he should be given something he did not earn.

Very disappointing situation.

Dealing with something similar with an employee. He claims he's underpaid but by any comparison to either others or the job skill checklist... he's ahead of schedule pay wise. Every effort to explain that to him blows right past his ears.

Or 3, he evaluated the situation and decided that there might be better opportunities for him somewhere else and opted to take a chance on finding one.

Or 3, he evaluated the situation and decided that there might be better opportunities for him somewhere else and opted to take a chance on finding one.
If he wanted to play significant snaps next fall, then he's better off going elsewhere. We have E. Simmons, D. Terry, O. Thomas, B. Eason, and possibly K. Garland (super senior) all coming back who are definitely ahead of him. Plus T. Baron and T. West can slide inside on passing downs.

Reactions: Orange.
what a bad call, we need DL

unless this is an attempt for more NIL

We need quality DBs more, IMO. I think we'll be okay on D line. West, Josephs and Pearce all three played as true freshman this season and played well. Looking at the quality of DL recruits coming in with this current, class, I suspect a two or three of those guys will see a fair amount of playing time next season as well.

He wasn't going to be in the 2 deep rotation next fall unless there was some injuries. He probably started realizing this during the first bowl practices.
Assuming no one else departs he probably wouldn’t have been in 3 deep rotation. Wish he exercised a bit more patience. We have a bunch of upperclassman at DT.

VN Store

Back