• POSDT
  • HEIGHT 6-1
  • WEIGHT 320
  • HIGH SCHOOL Union County
  • HOME TOWN Lake Butler, FL
  • CLASS 2020
Agelu Nunu, 2020 Defensive tackle - Rivals

Agelu Nunu, Union County, Defensive Tackle

The quest for finding defensive tackles on the recruiting trail never stops. Monday, the latest nose tackle to get an offer from the Vols is Agelu Nunu. Nunu is a 6 foot 281 pound prospect from Union County High School in Lake Butler, Fla. Tennessee’s offer is Nunu’s first from a power five school but he wasn’t surprised when he learned of the offer on Monday.

“I went up for a visit last May and talked to coach Pruitt. He said he was going to send someone by to see me this spring and they did,” Nunu said. “Coach Rocker came by to see me and coach Pruitt gave me the offer.” After getting the Tennessee offer on Monday, Nunu quickly heard from Texas A&M and North Carolina. “I guess everyone was waiting on me to get an SEC offer,” Nunu said. “I appreciate every offer I get, but a power 5 offer is different and is a blessing.”

Since visiting the Vols last spring, Nunu has kept tabs on Tennessee and he likes what he has seen. “I see they are building their program back up,” Nunu said. “They have a lot of freshman coming in to help them and are rebuilding things. So there would be an opportunity to play early there.” Nunu plans to see the Vols again soon depending on when the Vol staff wants him to visit. Nunu also has an idea of what he’s looking for in a school.

“I want to stay on the east coast God willing. I’m looking for a family atmosphere. Early playing time is important to me and if my family and I are comfortable there. If my parents like it then I’m going to like it.” As for what the Vols like in Nunu, it’s his strength as a nose tackle. Nunu Twitter page is eye catching with his 44 reps at 225 pounds. “Power and my strength is what they like. I like taking on a triple team, pushing in the backfield and forcing a play one way,” said Nunu who has been lifting weights since the 5th grade. “As for forty-four reps of 225. I was surprised, I was able to do it. When I got to 30, I was like let’s go for 40 then I was like lets go to 50. I was disappointed in myself that I could get six more and get to fifty.”

Nunu, who was at Troy last weekend, has grown up in a military family living in Texas, Hawaii, California, New York and now Florida for the last six years. Nunu said Florida has made him a better player and that moving around will help him transition to whatever school he attends. “I feel like it will help me,” Nunu said. “I have lived in a lot of different environments. I think it’s a blessing that I ended up in Florida. The ball is different down here. The athletes here are amazing.”

-VQ

And I'm not sure what his correct weight is, his profiles, hudl, articles, etc range from 280-344lbs.
Looks closer to the 344 tbh. That's fine because he could easily get down to ~300-310 without losing that strength

Jessie Mahelona shaped fellow. 44 reps of 225 is pretty strong even by NFL standards. In high school it's damn impressive.
Mahelona was big time..I belive if I remember correctly that Tennessee was the first to offer him out of junior college. It was very tragic to hear of him dying at such a young age. He was a All American up on the HILL his Junior year!

Glad to hear. Lives in next town seen him at weight lifting meet strong kid very nice and respectful. Glad Tennessee is recruiting nearby my sons going into 11 grade and he’s big and a beast remember number 54 aka the pancake mayor

Jessie Mahelona shaped fellow. 44 reps of 225 is pretty strong even by NFL standards. In high school it's damn impressive.
I looked it up...44 reps at 225 would be good enough for 6th all time at the NFL combine, just 7 reps short of the combine record of 51 (Justin Ernest 1999).

Interesting combine stats for comparison:
Aaron Donald - 35
Geno Atkins -34
JJ Watt - 34
Ndamukong Suh - 32
Fletcher Cox - 30

VN Store

Back