'20 FL CB Lovie Jenkins (Louisville transfer)

Has Muschamp developed any DBs at USC yet? Just curious.
Kind of. King was ok and rashad Fenton was drafted last year. Jaycee Horn was a true freshman and had a very good year. They have a kid named Israel Mukawamu that’ll probably be good.

His resume at UF and Texas speaks for itself though. He and TRob are elite DB coaches.

So what are we seeing here? This guy is a track guy. He reportedly has a tremendous work ethic. His character is praised. He’s another can do almost everything kind of skills position football player. He’s coached by a former D1 and NFL player. According to the current rankings at 247, he’s the 10th best cornerback in the state of Florida this year for the class of 2020 out of 26 FL CBs they have ranked. Alabama got the 7th best and South Carolina is fighting for the 16th best. Clemson got the #1 guy. FSU and Miami got 3 of the other top 10. FSU also got #11. It seems that one of the big things Pruitt & Co. are looking for as they compete with the current powers that be in recruiting are guys that are “hungry” with a lot of potential upside that are very coachable. jmo.

Welcome to Rocky Top Mr. Jenkins.

Versatility is becoming a common theme with the players Jeremy Pruitt recruits and signs. It makes a lot of sense. I'm not sure what I am more excited about... This staff's ability to recruit quality players or their ability to actually develop them. Good stuff.

Go Vols!

JENKINS’ SCOUTING REPORT
“Tennessee got a good one. Lovie is smart, calls our defense. Can run. He’s a beast, man. He’ll do well. Great instincts. Football IQ. He has it all."

— Ocoee head coach Aaron Sheppard

HOW WILL JENKINS FIT IN WITH THE VOLS?
The 6-foot, 185-pound defensive back gives Tennessee another versatile playmaker in the secondary. Jenkins said coordinator and DBs coach Derrick Ansley believes he could play every position in the secondary. Jenkins mostly plays safety for Ocoee but has the frame and physicality to play nickel/STAR or even boundary corner.

"Lovie can play whatever he wants to play. He’s 185 pounds now, so he can play corner but he can definitely gain 15 pounds and play safety as well,” Sheppard said.

Like JUCO corner commit Art Green, Jenkins is another big, long defensive back who can run.

Depending on who wins the STAR/nickel job this fall, Jenkins could have a chance to come to Tennessee (he plans to enroll early) and work to earn a job in 2020.

WHAT DOES JENKINS’ ADDITION MEAN FOR TENNESSEE?
The Vols now have three defensive back commits in the class, with Jenkings, Green and 4-star safety Antonio Johnson.

“We left Lovie with one of our coaches and he just felt good about Tennessee. He’s been other places. Been around. He just felt good about," Sheppard said.

"I didn’t know if he was leaning that way or another way, I actually thought he was leaning another way, but whatever happened at Tennessee happened. He loves the coaches, the environment, the facilities. He thought that was the best place for him.”

Tennessee sits in a great spot with Top-150 defensive back Keshawn Lawrence, who could play corner or safety in college. Some folks at Tennessee have begun to believe that Lawerence is actually a corner at the next level after he’s clocked several impressive 40 times this spring.

Such a decision would give Tennessee even more flexibility with its class, as the Vols continue to aggressively target Washington, DC athlete Mordecai McDaniel, who just took an official visit here last weekend, and Joel Williams, who recently decommitted from Florida after picking the Gators over the Vols last month.

“It just feels great,” the 6-1, 182 pound Jenkins said. “There’s so many opportunities for me at Tennessee. Great people, great coaching. I just feel like that’s where I want to be.”
"They told me that they think I’m a great player and they really want me,” Jenkins said. “When they were recruiting me they were doing a lot to get me. Things just fell in line. When I stepped on campus saw the facilities, met the coaches in person. I just had a great feeling.”
“Coach (Derrick) Ansley (defensive coordinator) said that I could play all the positions,” Jenkins said. “I could help them at every spot in the second. He said I could play corner, nickel or safety. He feels I could play any of them.”
“Sitting down and talking to coach Pruitt, he is a defensive guy,” Jenkins said. “I know his history with defensive backs. He and coach Ansley will be able to get me right. You can’t go wrong went those two.
-VQ

i like some of these offers of late to some of these longer CB's. you figure you get another 2 years out of BT and AT, plus who we've already brought in last cycle, you can afford to take a couple kids like this that fit the physical requirements, and it gives you a chance to develop them for a couple years.

i'm sure they'll want him to camp. but these 6'+ corners.....that's what they want.
I see no reason to change my stance from when they offered. He'll get the opportunity to develop.

VN Store

Back