'21 FL CB Derrick Edwards

Clemson signed like 16 three star recruits last cycle. I wonder if their fans say "three star u". Also your business logic is rather odd. I have seen a lot go bankrupt strictly going after "top-tier" accounts. I guess some people prefer 0 dollars instead of "low-tier" accounts.

Lastly, where is your evidence that Tennessee only offers three stars? You know that this guy is 2021 recruit right? His ranking at this point is largely irrelevant.

Can you please list some of these companies that went bankrupt going after ”top tier” accounts?

Reactions: lifeisdeep
27 “5 stars” so far in the ‘21 class. UT has offered over half of them.

Takes like 2 seconds to look that up. Probably less time than the long drawn out complaints in player thread.

Can we get a clean up in here?
If you can explain to me why we haven't offered all of the 5-stars but are rushing to offer every three-star, then perhaps your dismissive post might make some sense. Otherwise, it doesn't.

More than one NFL team, when preparing for the draft, operates by the guiding principle of selecting the best player available, regardless of team need. The New York Giants used said approach to assemble their defense that won two Super Bowls a few years ago.

I don't know of any top-level team, college or pro, that operates on the principle of, "Let's go after the players that are the easiest to get and hope for the best."

And the nonsense that somehow all these 3-stars are going to be bumped up in their rankings, and magically also be suddenly better players, from their junior to their senior season is just silly. I would wager that they gain a star all of 5% of the time. Every year people on here talk about how this or that junior we just signed has a chance at adding a star by the time he enrolls...and how often does it actually happen?

Bama, Clemson, etc. sign some 3-stars every year. They also sign multiple 4- and 5-stars, and the latter outnumber the former. And this is why those teams beat us every time we play them.

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
If you can explain to me why we haven't offered all of the 5-stars but are rushing to offer every three-star, then perhaps your dismissive post might make some sense. Otherwise, it doesn't.

More than one NFL team, when preparing for the draft, operates by the guiding principle of selecting the best player available, regardless of team need. The New York Giants used said approach to assemble their defense that won two Super Bowls a few years ago.

I don't know of any top-level team, college or pro, that operates on the principle of, "Let's go after the players that are the easiest to get and hope for the best."

And the nonsense that somehow all these 3-stars are going to be bumped up in their rankings, and magically also be suddenly better players, from their junior to their senior season is just silly. I would wager that they gain a star all of 5% of the time. Every year people on here talk about how this or that junior we just signed has a chance at adding a star by the time he enrolls...and how often does it actually happen?

Bama, Clemson, etc. sign some 3-stars every year. They also sign multiple 4- and 5-stars, and the latter outnumber the former. And this is why those teams beat us every time we play them.
Bla bla bla yaw yaw yaw. Look it up yourself. There would also be a bit of self accomplishment when you get done looking at the players and who’s offered them. 247 and Rivals are good places to start, have at it, bud.

Reactions: Pane di mais

With our record for the past 10-12 years, I think Pruitt has recruited very very well. It will get better as we win more games. * wins this year would help a lot.

Reactions: RollerVol

Pruitt and his coaches know what their high value players look and play like. Doesn’t always jibe with the egghead services. No doubt the 3 stars in FUTURE classes that have been offered OVER projected 4 stars meet their criteria. For some odd reason they tend to get bumped by the season it counts. Check out the Jay Jones thread. The coaches put a higher priority on a THEN 3 star...Jay Hardy. Clemson more often than not had 16th ranked or lower recruiting classes with more than a fair share of 3 stars when they were BUILDING rosters that won those championships. They’re just now plucking top 5 stars halfway down their 25.

Let me put it this way. Coaches, especially our coaches, do NOT care or look at what recruiting services rank recruits. They ask them to come to camps and they evaluate them. They cannot evaluate every single player in the nation so not all are offered that would even meet the criteria they are looking for. (NFL teams do not have as many to evaluate by the way.) Very few teams are able to recruit the way AL and Clemson are at the moment even though they would if they could. And offering 5* that are about to sign is a little too late ATM so it isn't done.

Reactions: Exiled and butchna
they don't pay me to coach or recruit...that's why Coach Pruitt and staff get paid the big bucks...sure, stars are nice and the more we win the more we'll probably see them...we just have to trust in the coaching staff we have and see what happens...:D

GO BIG ORANGE...BEAT MIZZOU!

Reactions: xtremevolfan
I'm as happy as anyone that the team seems to be improving. But none other than Pruitt himself was quoted earlier in the season as not being happy with how the staff is doing in recruiting.

Every year for at least the last ten we have heard the nonsense that stars aren't important, that Dooley or Botch or now Pruitt is going to coach them up so they run roughshod over all those five-stars at other schools...And that has panned out about as well as Saddam Hussein's "mother of all battles" prediction.

If our staff weren't getting paid millions per year and if recruiting were not a significant part of what they're expected to do on a multi-million dollar level, if we were, say, Duke, or Memphis, that would be one thing.

People on here like to talk about some of Pruitt's recruits showing out on the field as a sign that Pruitt will get the job done. How many of those underclassmen who are regularly contributing were three-stars?

Reactions: Seattle Hillbilly
I'm as happy as anyone that the team seems to be improving. But none other than Pruitt himself was quoted earlier in the season as not being happy with how the staff is doing in recruiting.

Every year for at least the last ten we have heard the nonsense that stars aren't important, that Dooley or Botch or now Pruitt is going to coach them up so they run roughshod over all those five-stars at other schools...And that has panned out about as well as Saddam Hussein's "mother of all battles" prediction.

If our staff weren't getting paid millions per year and if recruiting were not a significant part of what they're expected to do on a multi-million dollar level, if we were, say, Duke, or Memphis, that would be one thing.

People on here like to talk about some of Pruitt's recruits showing out on the field as a sign that Pruitt will get the job done. How many of those underclassmen who are regularly contributing were three-stars?
how about Auburn Florida Penn State Ohio State Clemson. we were close to all of those last year.

this staff has shown they can close. and even with us being down Duke nor Memphis are anywhere close to us in recruiting rankings. try not to base your arguments on hyperbole.

Burrell, Maurer, George Jr, Harris, Garland, Flowers, Shrout should all be names known to people following UT football. all underclassmen 3*. and they are UNDERCLASSMEN. no school bases their talent on underclassmen. Look at how that helped out Arkansas. got to have upper classmen in there.

how about Auburn Florida Penn State Ohio State Clemson. we were close to all of those last year.

this staff has shown they can close. and even with us being down Duke nor Memphis are anywhere close to us in recruiting rankings. try not to base your arguments on hyperbole.

Burrell, Maurer, George Jr, Harris, Garland, Flowers, Shrout should all be names known to people following UT football. all underclassmen 3*. and they are UNDERCLASSMEN. no school bases their talent on underclassmen. Look at how that helped out Arkansas. got to have upper classmen in there.
You do realize that being "close" last year, when we signed multiple five-stars, has absolutely nothing to do with this year, when we're not even in on any five-stars, and lately only offer three-stars?

How many of the three-stars you name above have regularly contributed this year?

You do realize that being "close" last year, when we signed multiple five-stars, has absolutely nothing to do with this year, when we're not even in on any five-stars, and lately only offer three-stars?

How many of the three-stars you name above have regularly contributed this year?
In your best interest to come back next year. Recruiting is not for the weak. You win some. Lose most. But as Pruitt's famous quote goes, "Worry about the ones you get. Not about the ones you don't." .......Or you could continue to wring your hands and make post after post about 3*s.

If you truly believe this is what this coaching staff is doing then ignorance is bliss. First of all we are not a top team. Bama and Clemson were not rolling in 4 and 5 stars early in their current coaches tenures. They built up to that point with results on the field . Especially Dabo. This staff has gone after the vast majority of top rated players they feel comfortable with. They have also landed several that everyone in the country wanted. We are coming off a 1-5 start. If the trajectory of this team continues on its current path we will be in the discussion for more of the Star Gazer players than not. It takes time and progress to get into most of those living rooms. We got 4 players at least that almost anyone in the country would want last year. We win out and it will be more of the same this year come Feb.

Could you share an actual quote FROM HIM? Got insider rumblings but they tend to puff dirty air out of blowholes. Warren Burrell was a 3 star, as was Darrel Middleton. Flowers does when healthy. Unfortunately for the purposes of your narrative, these coaches have landed too many 4 and 5 stars who’ve contributed early in the only two Pruitt classes.

Last edited:
Could you share an actual quote FROM HIM? Got insider rumblings but they tend to puff dirty air out of blowholes. Warren Burrell was a 3 star, as was Darrel Middleton. Flowers does when healthy. Unfortunately for the purposes of your narrative, these coaches have landed too many 4 and 5 stars who’ve contributed early in the only two Pruitt classes.
Pruitt was widely quoted in the media as having said we were going to be at the top in recruiting. I read it in an article that directly quoted him.

And I already noted that it's the 4- and 5-stars out of the first two classes that are contributing. I stated as much while questioning why we only seem to be offering three-stars, a question, I might add, that I am not alone in posing.

Pruitt was widely quoted in the media as having said we were going to be at the top in recruiting. I read it in an article that directly quoted him.

And I already noted that it's the 4- and 5-stars out of the first two classes that are contributing. I stated as much while questioning why we only seem to be offering three-stars, a question, I might add, that I am not alone in posing.
I remember the quote about us being at the top. Where’s the one of him saying that his coaches aren’t getting the job done? This time EVERY class is when you and the other not aloners start lamenting our offers...then our signing classes have surprises that contribute. Gotta rehash that the 3 stars we offer in 2021 are 4 stars by the time they’re eligible to sign. Long and short is they know what they’re doing and we don’t.

Go read the Calloway thread. And Henry To'oto'o 's from last year.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
I have seen some asinine, mindless posts on this forum, many many thousands...And yet this one towers above them all. I hope you're related to/employed by the UTAD because otherwise the complete and utter lack of rational thought behind your post is disturbing.

See if you can follow here: the teams in this conference that thump us every year sign mostly four- and five-stars, every year. Every now and then, a three-star ends up playing as well as those four- and five-stars; and every team that comes along and recruits based on hoping to win the lottery with dozens of over-performing three-stars gets thumped by the teams that are built with four- and five-stars.

How many NCs have been won in the last ten years by teams that didn't have mostly four- and five-stars? The last thirty? I'll give you a hint: you need zero fingers to count them.

We used to get mostly four- and five-stars...Magically, mysteriously, that was also when we often did the thumping rather than getting thumped. We even won one of those NC things ourselves twenty-one years ago. And we had a crap-load of four- and five-stars when we did it.

It's fine and good that we may scale that grand mountain again of 6-6 or even 7-5 this year, and improving on the field is better than not improving. But the current HC expressly stated that this football program was going to be at the very top of recruiting; he didn't say we might; he didn't say he hoped to; he said it was going to happen. It isn't happening; it isn't coming close to happening; it can make the difference between whether we get back to where we once were, to where we actually compete for the real stuff and not just avoiding the basement of the conference or not, and considering the HC and his staff are getting paid millions of dollars a year and a very significant and delineated part of their job is recruiting, it is completely and utterly reasonable to make note of the fact that they're not doing a great job at it at the moment.

Offering three-star after three-star is not a strategy that can be defended, for any reason. One or two here and there, sure; even more than that, if you're also offering the four- and five-stars. But only offering three-stars means either that you don't think you can land them, which is unacceptable, or that you're too lazy even to try, which is equally unacceptable.

If you owned a business and all of your sales force suddenly began only pursuing the lower-tier accounts that would make you a fraction of the money of the top-tier accounts, would you pat them on the back and reward them for their well-moderated ambition?
Well you see we are also getting thumped by teams with only 3 stars, and have to get past them before we can even think about the top tier.

This staff has a combined 16 national championships on staff. I think they know a thing or 2 about evaluating a player.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Here I’ll give you an example:

PLAYER A
⭐⭐⭐⭐️ (#10 RB, #207 Natl.)
RB. 5’9 166
Miami Central HS (Florida 6A)
4.58 40 yard dash
29in Vertical
110 bench
Offers: West Virginia, Miami, Rutgers, Duke, Maryland, Pitt, UCF
SR SZN Stats: 3.7 YPC, 877 Rush yards, 12 TDs

PLAYER B
⭐⭐⭐️ (#29 RB, #650 Natl.)
RB 6’0 205
McEachern HS (Georgia 6A)
4.48 40
37in Vert
280 bench
Offers: Auburn, Michigan, Oregon, South Carolina, FSU, Texas A&M, Florida
SR SZN State: 6.0 YPC, 1786 Rush Yards, 19 TDs

The players stargazers want us to take is player A, the type of player Pruitt is offering is player B. However, player A isn’t good enough for SEC ball and would be constantly injured or wore out. But at least he has 4 stars next to his name. Player B might not be a big name but he’s better suited for SEC football and could turn into a solid player with the right coaching. Lyle offered a lot of player As while he was here and that is the reason we’re in the mess we’re in.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back