'21 FL CB De’Shawn Rucker (Tennessee signee)

My fav part of that episode was them walking outside and all the bums were wearing that shirt, and they even hated it

Constanza was the hand model in that one as well iirc. You know how they run multiple storylines in an episode with one or more characters and how they come crashing into each other at the end....LOL

“I’m pretty firm, actually,” said Rucker, who’s ranked by 247Sports as the No. 30 safety in the 2021 class.

“People really aren’t going to change my mind. They’ll have to really have similar attributes to Coach Ansley and Pruitt, with how the team’s set up and stuff like that, to change my mind.”

Rucker said Tennessee defensive coordinator Derrick Ansley and Pruitt both are talking with him on a regular basis.

“I stay in touch with Coach Ansley and Coach Pruitt a lot,” Rucker said. “I’m usually talking to them. It’s not even about football. They just really see how I’m doing and stuff like that, checking on me and my family to see how we’re doing.”

“We actually talk on the phone a lot more than just texting. Maybe we might FaceTime other than calling, but they usually just call a lot and check in on me and stuff like that. (We talk) a couple times a week.”

The Vols have continued to tell Rucker, he said, that he’s important to them because of “mostly the versatility I have.” They envision him playing either the Star, or nickel, position or safety.

“They say they’re fired up about me, that I can do a lot in the secondary to help them out,” said Rucker, who claims to have been timed at 4.39 seconds in the 40-yard dash during a camp last year at Georgia Tech and at 10.76 seconds in the 100 meters.

He said Tennessee’s coaches are the main reason he hasn’t shown any signs of wavering on his commitment to the Vols.

“It’s really Ansley and Pruitt,” Rucker said. “I just love how they coach and stuff like that, so they kind of get me pumped up to play for them. Basically, their Zoom calls show me how they use the nickel and safety, so I could do really all of that stuff with the nickel and just make a big-time part in the program.”

Tennessee’s strong recruiting in the 2021 class, he said, “most definitely does” make him feel even better about his decision, too.

The day after Rucker announced his commitment to the Vols in early May, they moved up to No. 2 nationally in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite team rankings in the midst of a nearly monthlong hot streak during which they added 14 commitments. They’re now ranked No. 5 nationally.

“I’m trying to get the secondary better, recruiting there,” he said. “I know they got a four-star cornerback (Damarius McGhee), so I’m pretty pumped about playing with some top DBs.”

Rucker downplayed his involvement with other schools as “really just communication.”

“They communicate with me, so I communicate back,” he said. “I guess you could say (I am) open-minded, but I’m still locked in. I still love Tennessee and the staff — stuff like that.”

After his commitment to Tennessee on May 3, he said some teams “gave me a break,” while others — including South Carolina and Kentucky — ”said they were still fighting for me and stuff like that once I committed.”

But he said he hasn’t given much thought to the possibility of visiting other schools in the coming months, at least in part because of the ongoing dead period for recruiting, which will run through at least the end of this month because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

“I don’t have no thought on that right now,” Rucker said. “I don’t even think we’ll be able to get out with the virus and stuff like that. My hopes went down in the summer — well, earlier in the year they went down.”

For now, while waiting to find out when he will be able to start his senior season, he said he’s doing his best to help Tennessee recruit at least one other defensive back he knows well: four-star Terrion Arnold, a top-100 prospect at Tallahassee’s John Paul II Catholic High School.

“That’s who I’ve been trying to get at the other corner spot,” Rucker said. “He’s pretty open-minded on his still right now, but we’re trying our best.”

He said he’s also “looking into” the possibility of graduating early and enrolling at Tennessee in January, although he doesn’t “really know” yet whether he wants to be an early enrollee even if he has the option.

“I have to get with my guidance counselor and stuff,” Rucker said. “I should be able to, but I’m not really sure right now. … But it’s been on my mind.”

- callahan

Doesn't sound like he's going anywhere.

Frame: Short and compact. Adequate width across shoulders and upper lody. Long waisted. Stout, powerful thighs and trunk, with carved-up calves. Room for additional weight, but growth potential limited to below 200 pounds.

Athleticism: Burner. Track standout who clocked 10.76 100-meter dash in February. Effortless burst; reaches fifth gear in a hurry. Quick, light feet and fluid hips. Great leaper, with natural aerial body control. Natural ball skills.

Instincts: Tracks ball well in air. Arrives to ball half step early when covering deep center field. Gets downhill fast in run game, taking aggressive angles to ball. Evades blockers rather than engaging and shedding. Packs punch as tackler; will chop feet and lay pop. Dangerous ball-carrier in open field.

Polish: Clear awareness, understanding of coverage concepts as center fielder. Feet, hips are fluid enough to cover receivers one-on-one, but needs more experience. Must increase strength, physicality to make plays in box at next level.

Bottom Line: Rucker is a fast, aggressive defensive back who affects both the pass and run for Godby. Versatility to play multiple roles in secondary and on special teams should allow him to see field early in Knoxville despite need for strength development. Surefire multi-year contributor, and projects as eventual starter at free safety.

SI All-American Candidate De’Shawn Rucker Highlights and Evaluation

Kid just announced he’s announcing his commitment on August 21. Yet he’s firm on his commitment. Kids these days. Yet, AV misses sometimes. Well, this stuff is why. You just never know. Hope he stays firm but you never know. I read the twitter wrong. My bad so NEVER MIND

Last edited:
Kid just announced he’s announcing his commitment on August 21. Yet he’s firm on his commitment. Kids these days. Yet, AV misses sometimes. Well, this stuff is why. You just never know. Hope he stays firm but you never know.

He was saying he's tuning in for someone else's commitment. Think you read that wrong.

Kid just announced he’s announcing his commitment on August 21. Yet he’s firm on his commitment. Kids these days. Yet, AV misses sometimes. Well, this stuff is why. You just never know. Hope he stays firm but you never know.
Lol

Kid just announced he’s announcing his commitment on August 21. Yet he’s firm on his commitment. Kids these days. Yet, AV misses sometimes. Well, this stuff is why. You just never know. Hope he stays firm but you never know. I read the twitter wrong. My bad so NEVER MIND

It's like the Prom. They want their time in the lights.

What does this mean?

“That’s who I’ve been trying to get at the other corner spot,” Rucker said. “He’s pretty open-minded on his still right now, but we’re trying our best.”

Don’t make no cents I swerve it

What does this mean?

Don’t make no cents I swerve it
Probably meant to say “this” instead of his

“It really came down to coach [Jeremy] Pruitt and [Derrick] Ansley,” Rucker said of choosing the Vols. “They want to use me the same way I’m being used in high school right now – a guy who can line up in different spots back there and can affect the game differently.

“I’ve seen what they have done with players before me. That excites me.”

The Tallahassee, Fla. native will begin his Volunteer journey repping at the nickelback position before getting a try at safety and cornerback.

“I would like to try and contribute early at nickel,” Rucker foreshadowed. “I’d love to be able to give the veterans on the team some rest. Hopefully, I earn that trust so they can put me out there early.”

The Godby High School standout has registered four interceptions as a prep star – three of which came in one game as a junior.

“I’d really like to start getting more interceptions. That’s my main goal for senior year,” Rucker said. “I got three in one game last year, so that means I should be getting eight or nine in a season.”

“Every time I get a pick, I believe I have a chance to score,” Rucker said. “I can also ‘hawk’ people down in the open field.

“You’ve got to have great reaction at the start of a race, so that reaction in track helps my fast-twitch in football. It also helps me at safety coming downhill trying to make a play.”

Rucker committed to the Vols in early May and was a part of the big recruiting swing Tennessee made during the spring stretch. He quickly latched onto current defensive backs Bryce Thompson and Trevon Flowers during the recruiting process.

With 20 offers at current standing, Rucker acknowledged teams are still after him. But, it’s not as many as we may think.

“I listen, but there’s really not too many coming after me right now – maybe four or five,” Rucker said of other programs’ pursuit. “They know I’m committed, or I let them know. They give it all they have.”

With every uncertainty 2020 brings, Rucker is at peace with his decision to commit to Pruitt’s squad when he did.

“I’m most definitely relieved. It was a lot on me with all these schools contacting me all the time,” Rucker concluded. “It was a hard decision to make, but I’m glad I got it out of the way and it’s over.”

The 2021 Tennessee defensive back commit is unsure whether he’ll sign in December or February.
-E. Cain, VQ

Might be reading too much into this but:

- might not sign until February
- not a lot of teams still talking to him
- (most notably) only 4 ints his prep career, including three in one game.

This staff places such a high emphasis on defenders getting picks. I think CJP himself said if you don’t get them in “high schoo” you won’t get them in college.

We’re in on a lot of big fish. We all point to Jay Jones and Edwin White as possible gits. Wonder if this young mans standing in the class isn’t as firm as we all think.

Reactions: BigOrangeGoose
Might be reading too much into this but:

- might not sign until February
- not a lot of teams still talking to him
- (most notably) only 4 ints his prep career, including three in one game.

This staff places such a high emphasis on defenders getting picks. I think CJP himself said if you don’t get them in “high schoo” you won’t get them in college.

We’re in on a lot of big fish. We all point to Jay Jones and Edwin White as possible gits. Wonder if this young mans standing in the class isn’t as firm as we all think.

Rucker is head and shoulders a better prospect than White and Jones

Rucker is head and shoulders a better prospect than White and Jones

I never suggested he wasn’t. Just that he might be a git candidate like the other two are. Which is a generic statement because technically everyone basically is a git candidate- always looking for upgrades.

I never suggested he wasn’t. Just that he might be a git candidate like the other two are. Which is a generic statement because technically everyone basically is a git candidate- always looking for upgrades.
COuld be, but I think like White and Jones, Jackson, Bell, and Howard May/could get git shirts. A lot of top rated prospects not enough room, we will see how it goes.

VN Store

Back